ej22
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on ej22 within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just recently got an upper end knock in my ej22. So I pulled the engine to rebuild it. That ...

ej22

I just recently got an upper end knock in my ej22. So I pulled the engine to rebuild it. That being said I dont want to walk away from this build with the same amount of hp. I did some research and I found cams for like 500 but idk if that will be a decent upgrade. I also dont know what I need to mod to put cams in. I have forged pistons and forged internals. Are there any other economical mods I can do? Also would the cams be the way to go? The ej22 is an aftermarket block I got in 12 it was a small upgrade but I didnt want to go with a 2.5 because Im still running a stock wrx manual trans.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The top end is where most hp can be freed up. Besides your bolt ons, you can get an awful lot from a proprr top end

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The choice of cams should be matched to the size Turbo you are going to run and where you want your powerband to be. You didn't give us any information relevant to whether or not cams would be worthwhile for your build. AFIK neither of of the decent can manufacturers for us sell cams for less than about $800.. and you should rebuild the heads ($500), and depending on how aggressive the cams you choose you should also get better springs and retainers (about another $500).

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    The choice of cams should be matched to the size Turbo you are going to run and where you want your powerband to be. You didn't give us any information relevant to whether or not cams would be worthwhile for your build. AFIK neither of of the decent can manufacturers for us sell cams for less than about $800.. and you should rebuild the heads ($500), and depending on how aggressive the cams you choose you should also get better springs and retainers (about another $500).
    Brian Crower Stage 2 Camshafts for 02-07 WRX/STi Import Image Racing
    these were the cams I was going to go with. It says no major upgrades and i already have forged everything and upgraded pistons. also what would i have to do to my heads? those are sti heads on an ej22

BCs are really mild for their duration.. I suppose they are a cheap upgrade though. They would be well matched to anything from a 20g-XT to a 3076r.

Since those are mild cams I don't believe you will need to upgrade springs or retainers, just as long as you keep the stock rev limit. You should however, completely disassemble and inspect the heads, clean and replace all seals, lap valves into the heads, possibly replace valve guides, and lash the cams.. at a minimum.

BCs are really mild for their duration.. I suppose they are a cheap upgrade though. They would be well matched to anything from a 20g-XT to a 3076r.

Since those are mild cams I don't believe you will need to upgrade springs or retainers, just as long as you keep the stock rev limit. You should however, completely disassemble and inspect the heads, clean and replace all seals, lap valves into the heads, possibly replace valve guides, and lash the cams.. at a minimum.

so with these cams I wont notice much of a difference? My buddy was trying to get the cam pulleys off while I was gone, cracked the timing cover chipped my cam and took a small chip out of my head ill have to upload a pic to see if the heads still okay to use but yeah.. I need to upgrade my cams anyway I guess and I just dont want to not have my subie for too long.

You'll notice a difference. They will shift the powerband to the right. If you have a turbo that can take advantage of the increased flow at high rpm then I would expect to see a fairly significant gain in power from 5500 rpm and beyond. Of course that also means you will lose some power under 4000rpm as well. .

I have an 18 g bloushe turbo now. It spools at like 2500 but dosent really hit until 5000. So that's going to get worse? Also I've never had it tuned. It had a tune when I got it. I just never got around to tuning it.

Those cams would be better suited to a larger turbo. I would run S1 cams with an 18g, or even just STi cams.

Well I would really like a good upgrade while I'm in there. I also haven't seen anything smaller then stage 2. I thought that cams would be a good way. Also what about upgraded cam pulleys? I thought 18 was a decent size turbo.

My best recommendation would be GSC S1 cams. Kelford also makes a good S1 cam, but with less duration than GSCs offering.

There are upgraded cam gears (BC and OBX) which are adjustable, but they are expensive and every report I have seen from them is about failure. .either slipping, or outright breaking. So I would not recommend them.

Make sure you are getting the right cams for your application, ie. you do not want single-AVCS cams if you aren't running AVCS and vice verse.

A td05 18g is just marginally larger than a stock STi turbo, not a large turbo by any means. For Subaru applications I would consider anything under a 20g to be a small turbo, 20g-3076 medium, and anything 35r and larger a big turbo. .although I don't really think of my GTX3576 being a large turbo, it's on the border between medium and large.
    Last edited by MainFrame; 05-10-2013 at 05:52 PM.

[QUOTE=MainFrame;3011814]My best recommendation would be GSC S1 cams. Kelford also makes a good S1 cam, but with less duration than GSCs offering.

There are upgraded cam gears (BC and OBX) which are adjustable, but they are expensive and every report I have seen from them is about failure. .either slipping, or outright breaking. So I would not recommend them.

Make sure you are getting the right cams for your application, ie. you do not want single-AVCS cams if you aren't running AVCS and vice verse.

A td05 18g is just marginally larger than a stock STi turbo, not a large turbo by any means. For Subaru applications I would consider anything under a 20g to be a small turbo, 20g-3076 medium, and anything 35r and larger a big turbo. .although I don't really think of my GTX3576 being a large turbo, it's on the border between medium and large.[/QUOTE

So, I went to go buy the cams. The only options are for a 2.0 and a 2.5 not surprising. The issue Im having is I have an ej22. Sti heads though so im assuming that i should get the 2.5 ones correct?

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    So, I went to go buy the cams. The only options are for a 2.0 and a 2.5 not surprising. The issue Im having is I have an ej22. Sti heads though so im assuming that i should get the 2.5 ones correct?
    Yes.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post

Are you running AVCS or not? If you're running single-AVCS heads, but don't have AVCS hooked up and running, I would get non-AVCS cams for them (ie. ej205 cams).

Are you running AVCS or not? If you're running single-AVCS heads, but don't have AVCS hooked up and running, I would get non-AVCS cams for them (ie. ej205 cams).
    I dont know how to tell the difference thats my next question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast