Perrin vs Cobb Stage 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Perrin vs Cobb Stage 2 within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2009 WRX and I'm looking to purchase a stage 2 kit from either Perrin or Cobb. I ...

Perrin vs Cobb Stage 2

I have a 2009 WRX and I'm looking to purchase a stage 2 kit from either Perrin or Cobb. I was wondering if there was a big difference between the two companies. If so what are the advantages between the two and which one is better in your opinion.

Also in a exhaust system for this car do you suggest 2.5 inch piping or 3 inch? Thanks for any help I get guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Buying the TBE exhaust, intake, EBCs and tune...is that what you mean by "kit"?

Yea the Cobb Stage 2 upgrade package... with downpipe, cat-back exhaust and access port.
    Subaru WRX Stage2 Power Package

Just found out that Perrin discontinued their downpipe for that year and are redesigning it as we speak.

What something I can put on and off without the dealership knowing so I don't void warranty

I Support ClubWRX
    There wouldn't really be a huge difference between the two companies. It really boils down to which exhaust you would like the sound of better, and which company you want to give your money to. If you wanted stage 2 for cheaper, you could just go catted downpipe and accessport (with stage 2 map).

Well I was thinking of getting the SPT exhaust at some point. I know its a 3" pipe that finishes off as a 2.5". Money is not too big to me, its the ability to change out quick if something should go back and I have to bring it back to the dealership. That way it doesn't void the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by MercRising View Post
    Buying the TBE exhaust, intake, EBCs and tune...is that what you mean by "kit"?
    Doesn't the Access Port from Cobb double as a EBC?

From what i understand, they can see if and when your ECU has been flashed.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    There wouldn't really be a huge difference between the two companies. It really boils down to which exhaust you would like the sound of better, and which company you want to give your money to. If you wanted stage 2 for cheaper, you could just go catted downpipe and accessport (with stage 2 map).
    Is this package smart for what I am looking for?
    Subaru WRX Stage2 Power Package

I also plan to do some other things as well;
    Cobb intake
    boost tubes
    Anyother ideas?

Really appreciate the help... My name is Carl by the way

Quote Originally Posted by RichD514 View Post
    From what i understand, they can see if and when your ECU has been flashed.
    Oh really? Who let you know this? Can they see what the map was when it was on?

I Support ClubWRX
    It'll be painfully obvious to a tech / service manager that you tampered with the exhaust, so a claim could still be denied.

As for your original question, they are both base maps, and both will react differently on different cars; you won't know until you try it and log. If you buy the AP through Perrin (at least in the past), they included one of their Staged maps free.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It'll be painfully obvious to a tech / service manager that you tampered with the exhaust, so a claim could still be denied.

As for your original question, they are both base maps, and both will react differently on different cars; you won't know until you try it and log. If you buy the AP through Perrin (at least in the past), they included one of their Staged maps free.

So Cobb makes you pay for the maps? I thought you could just punch in on the Access Port what you have bolted on and it will generate a map?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyTheSubaru View Post
    I thought you could just punch in on the Access Port what you have bolted on and it will generate a map?

No... they include a couple of maps (listed on their website) that only work with specific parts. If you depart from those parts then you need to get a real tune, either at a shop in person, or via an e-tuner over the internet.

I Support ClubWRX
    No you have to download the stage 1 (stock parts), or stage 2 map from the website. These maps are designed for the parts that would fall into that category (stage 2 - downpipe and flash). Cobb makes stage 1 and stage 2 maps that work with their intake (and AEM intake). Perrin makes maps that work with their intake. Perrin will provide free maps with the accessport if you buy from them (and continue to buy their parts...for example if you buy stage 1 map and then later get a Perrin downpipe, they will give you a stage 2 map for free). You might check with them though because I think they are not going to be running their maps for the accessport much longer, but if you buy from them before they make that switch they will support you for the life of your car (or the life of their company!). Also, accessport is not an "EBC." It is just a tool used to flash new maps and log data.

And as has been elluded to...If you modify your car in any way, be prepared for some pushback on warranty if you run into issues. Some dealers are mod friendlier than others, however, if you modify, you accept the risk that the parts you are replacing will not be covered by SOA any longer (as they shouldn't be).

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    No you have to download the stage 1 (stock parts), or stage 2 map from the website. These maps are designed for the parts that would fall into that category (stage 2 - downpipe and flash). Cobb makes stage 1 and stage 2 maps that work with their intake (and AEM intake). Perrin makes maps that work with their intake. Perrin will provide free maps with the accessport if you buy from them (and continue to buy their parts...for example if you buy stage 1 map and then later get a Perrin downpipe, they will give you a stage 2 map for free). You might check with them though because I think they are not going to be running their maps for the accessport much longer, but if you buy from them before they make that switch they will support you for the life of your car (or the life of their company!). Also, accessport is not an "EBC." It is just a tool used to flash new maps and log data.

And as has been elluded to...If you modify your car in any way, be prepared for some pushback on warranty if you run into issues. Some dealers are mod friendlier than others, however, if you modify, you accept the risk that the parts you are replacing will not be covered by SOA any longer (as they shouldn't be).

Understand about the warranty. Ok I got ya. So if i was go get the Cobb Stage 2 package they would have a map already on the Access Port for the TBE that comes in the package correct? Also do you know what the maps might cost if you have them made for your specific parts on the car? Just a round number doesn't have to be exact.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah.. if you blow your engine you can't just put the stock exhaust back on and expect to get away with defrauding the dealership into replacing it under warranty. More than likely they would see the downpipe bolts had been removed before and deny your warranty claim based on "indications of previous modification". Then again, some dealerships wouldn't care.. and some would deny the claim even if you had never modded by citing "indications of abuse". It's a crap shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast