Perrin vs Cobb Stage 2 - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30

This is a discussion on Perrin vs Cobb Stage 2 within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by MainFrame Yeah.. if you blow your engine you can't just put the stock exhaust back on and ...

  1. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Yeah.. if you blow your engine you can't just put the stock exhaust back on and expect to get away with defrauding the dealership into replacing it under warranty. More than likely they would see the downpipe bolts had been removed before and deny your warranty claim based on "indications of previous modification". Then again, some dealerships wouldn't care.. and some would deny the claim even if you had never modded by citing "indications of abuse". It's a crap shoot.
    Understandable... Anyone know of mod friendly dealerships in NJ? Specifically north Jersey.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #17
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,768
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyTheSubaru
    So if i was go get the Cobb Stage 2 package they would have a map already on the Access Port for the TBE that comes in the package correct? Also do you know what the maps might cost if you have them made for your specific parts on the car? Just a round number doesn't have to be exact.
    Maps may not be on there, at which point you download them free off Cobb site and load them on the AP.

    Custom tuning varies, but typically, you're looking at $400-500.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  4. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Maps may not be on there, at which point you download them free off Cobb site and load them on the AP.

    Custom tuning varies, but typically, you're looking at $400-500.

    Are there any EBCs that you recommend?

  5. #19
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,314
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyTheSubaru View Post
    Are there any EBCs that you recommend?


    The GM EBCS costs less than $30, but it does require splicing of two wires. Motive Autowerks EBCS is $85 and plug and play. Of course you might want to consider the fact that neither Cobb nor Perrin offer any free maps for the AP that are designed to work with any form of aftermarket boost control, so a custom tune would be required to run one.

  6. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    The GM EBCS costs less than $30, but it does require splicing of two wires. Motive Autowerks EBCS is $85 and plug and play. Of course you might want to consider the fact that neither Cobb nor Perrin offer any free maps for the AP that are designed to work with any form of aftermarket boost control, so a custom tune would be required to run one.
    So Cobb's Access Port doesn't have maps that work with aftermarket EBCs. But if you ask them through the site to create you one they will but at cost correct? Also if I do get the Cobb Stage 2 package do I need to up the boost? Or will upping the boost just give better results?

  7. #21
    zax
    zax is offline
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,166
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyTheSubaru View Post
    So Cobb's Access Port doesn't have maps that work with aftermarket EBCs. But if you ask them through the site to create you one they will but at cost correct? Also if I do get the Cobb Stage 2 package do I need to up the boost? Or will upping the boost just give better results?
    You don't "up the boost." The stock EBCS is controlled by the ECU and complies with the boost control tables on the map. Cobb OTS maps do not support 3-port EBCS, as the 3-port requires further tuning of the WGDC and Turbo Dynamics tables. Interestingly, this applies even to support for Cobb's own EBCS. You can, however, purchase a 3-port EBCS and tune yourself using Cobb's free AccessTuner Race software.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  8. #22
    Pro Manscaper Mikie13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Palmyra, NJ
    Posts
    21,004
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyTheSubaru View Post
    So Cobb's Access Port doesn't have maps that work with aftermarket EBCs. But if you ask them through the site to create you one they will but at cost correct? Also if I do get the Cobb Stage 2 package do I need to up the boost? Or will upping the boost just give better results?
    You're in Northern NJ...you have quite a few tuning options that would probably be better for you than just contacting Cobb and asking them to make a map to use it.

    When you go Stage 2, the appropriate map that comes with it will already increase boost. Read the map notes.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

  9. #23
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You don't "up the boost." The stock EBCS is controlled by the ECU and complies with the boost control tables on the map. Cobb OTS maps do not support 3-port EBCS, as the 3-port requires further tuning of the WGDC and Turbo Dynamics tables. Interestingly, this applies even to support for Cobb's own EBCS. You can, however, purchase a 3-port EBCS and tune yourself using Cobb's free AccessTuner Race software.
    Please excuse my ignorance but what is OTS and WGDC mean. I even check the Acronyms thread and didn’t see either. So is it a must in the tuning process of the Stage 2 package that I will be purchasing, that I get a EBC?

  10. #24
    OMG WTF MainFrame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    8,314
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyTheSubaru View Post
    if you ask them through the site to create you one they will but at cost correct?


    No, you would need to take your car to a licensed Cobb tuner in your area and they would be able to make a map for you. But then once you're paying for a custom tune, why even get the AP in the first place? Seems like a waste of $600 to me.

  11. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    You're in Northern NJ...you have quite a few tuning options that would probably be better for you than just contacting Cobb and asking them to make a map to use it.

    When you go Stage 2, the appropriate map that comes with it will already increase boost. Read the map notes.
    Ok so in that case is there any need right away for ebc? Mt. Laurel? Is that close to Long Valley?

  12. #26
    zax
    zax is offline
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,166
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyTheSubaru View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance but what is OTS and WGDC mean. I even check the Acronyms thread and didn’t see either. So is it a must in the tuning process of the Stage 2 package that I will be purchasing, that I get a EBC?
    Your car HAS an EBCS stock!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  13. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Your car HAS an EBCS stock!
    Haha alright sorry but what was the 3-port you were speaking of?

  14. #28
    zax
    zax is offline
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ zax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Neverland Ranch, Maryland
    Posts
    13,166
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyTheSubaru View Post
    Haha alright sorry but what was the 3-port you were speaking of?
    Please take the time to read:
    Boost Control FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

    There are two distinct types of electronic boost control solenoids: Interrupt type (3-port) and Bleed type Solenoids. The stock is a bleed-type solenoid that is less responsive than an interrupt type solenoid.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

    Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

    Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

  15. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    North NJ
    Posts
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Please take the time to read:
    Boost Control FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

    There are two distinct types of electronic boost control solenoids: Interrupt type (3-port) and Bleed type Solenoids. The stock is a bleed-type solenoid that is less responsive than an interrupt type solenoid.
    Thank you

  16. #30
    MAINEiac 11blackSTi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Land of the Port. ME
    Posts
    2,830
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyTheSubaru View Post
    Please excuse my ignorance but what is OTS and WGDC mean. I even check the Acronyms thread and didn’t see either. So is it a must in the tuning process of the Stage 2 package that I will be purchasing, that I get a EBC?
    OTS = Off the shelf - refers to "canned" maps or one size fits all maps, such as the ones you get from COBB or PERRIN.
    WGDC = Wastegate duty cycle - a pulsing signal that makes your wategate actuator open (very simply put).

    Check out this blog...Explains a lot about how boost control works. Boost Control Systems Explained….. Part 1 » PERRIN Performance Official Blog

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •