SheRa
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on SheRa within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I only went Stg2 with my WRX, and now that I have an STi I plan on keeping it for ...

SheRa

I only went Stg2 with my WRX, and now that I have an STi I plan on keeping it for the long haul and going quite a bit further than that, so here is my current progress. 3,200mi on the odo.

Stock:
    2013 STi Hatch
    Navi
    Subwoofer
    STi Short Throw Shifter
    SPT Exhaust
    Auto-dim mirror
    Heated Seats and whatever else the STI hatch comes with (BBS wheels

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-12-22_13-23-24_525.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	87.9 KB 
ID:	113035

Cosmetic Mods:
    JDM STi Front Lip Spoiler
    Black JDM STi Side Badges
    Plastidip on the wheels, currently matte black
    Cobb Turbo Heat Shield

Edit: Cosmetic/Functional Mod: RallyArmor Mudflaps <---Best mod on my car to date

Name:	2013-02-19_13-00-45_124.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	88.5 KB 
ID:	113036

Power Mods:
    Invidia Catless Dowpipe
    AEM Intake
    Cobb Accessport running Torqued Performance Etune
    FMS Front Mount Intercooler

Name:	IMAG0017.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	113037

Name:	IMAG0012.jpg 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	113038

Name:	2012-12-22_13-22-57_632.jpg 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	113039

Name:	IMAG0016.jpg 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	113040

Name:	IMAG0020.jpg 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	113041

I plan on eventually swapping to a Blouch 20G, so everything up until now plus my next couple mods are all preparation for that.

Next mods will be:
    Fuel Pump - DW65c
    Injectors - ID 1000s
    Clutch - Still undecided, but probably ACT 6 puck.
    Turbo - Probably Blouch 20GXT-R
    Headers - Equal Length
    Rear Sway Bar
    Tires
    Driver mod - hoping to take some performance driving classes
    Protune(s) as needed
    Window Tint

I don't want to start thinking about a shortblock right now, but I see that in my future so I'm saving now just in case.

This is probably the most vanilla build plan you guys have ever read, but from my experience it's much less headache going with what's already tried and true rather than trying to get unique or do things on the cheap. On that note, I'll be writing about my FMIC install saga shortly.
    Last edited by bbrock171; 03-31-2013 at 06:39 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The only thing I'd change is your fuel pump choice. Other than that. Your on the right path.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    The only thing I'd change is your fuel pump choice. Other than that. Your on the right path.

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress.
    What would you recommend, and why? I chose this one because I've spoken to a couple people who say it's a drop-in replacement that doesn't require modifying the housing as is necessary with the Walbro. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by bbrock171 View Post
    What would you recommend, and why? I chose this one because I've spoken to a couple people who say it's a drop-in replacement that doesn't require modifying the housing as is necessary with the Walbro. Thoughts?
    I didn't have much luck with my DW so I went with the Walbro and its been running like a champ ever since.

At first it was like no fuel was pumping. Then it was like I wasn't getting enough fuel. And then it would leak.

Installed the Walbro and had zero issues.

Just my experience.
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    I didn't have much luck with my DW so I went with the Walbro and its been running like a champ ever since.

At first it was like no fuel was pumping. Then it was like I wasn't getting enough fuel. And then it would leak.

Installed the Walbro and had zero issues.

Just my experience.
    Wow, good to know!

Wow, good to know!
    But like you said, you talked to others who had no issues. I read good things about the DW and that's why I went with it. And it was recommended. Might of just been a lemon.
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

I Support ClubWRX
    i know plenty of people who have the DW 65c without issue, including myself. i was recommended it by my tuner
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    i know plenty of people who have the DW 65c without issue, including myself. i was recommended it by my tuner
    Also good to know. Thanks.

I'm not going to sweat the fuel pump too much. I hope I don't get a lemon like scarmack did, but I guess I'll decide when I get there. I'd rather spend my time researching clutches, because I drive in heavy traffic every day and my car needs to be wife-friendly as well.

I Support ClubWRX
    Also good to know. Thanks.

I'm not going to sweat the fuel pump too much. I hope I don't get a lemon like scarmack did, but I guess I'll decide when I get there. I'd rather spend my time researching clutches, because I drive in heavy traffic every day and my car needs to be wife-friendly as well.
    ill be curious which clutch you get, i have no idea what i want to get either. since i drive daily i would prefer something similar to stock
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

ill be curious which clutch you get, i have no idea what i want to get either. since i drive daily i would prefer something similar to stock
    That's a tough one. I want something similar to stock too, but I've heard so much conflicting information. I thought about this one Comp Clutch 2004-2011 Subaru STI Stage 2 - Steelback Brass Plus : Your Subaru, Mitsubishi and Nissan Performance Parts Retailer because of price and description, but I haven't been able to find anyone who has it, so it's an unknown quantity for me at this point. The ACT 6 puck I've heard engages almost like stock, and have only heard of a couple of people who didn't like it. And it's obviously very popular, so if there were any serious issues with it they probably would have surfaced by now.

I honestly just want something that is smooth and not too grabby, and I don't care about pedal effort. So something with a full face organic clutch disc and high clamping force would be ideal. The ACT 6 puck obviously isn't full face organic, but I've heard similar things about it's behavior.

I Support ClubWRX
    ive heard exedy clutches are who makes the stock ones in our cars, so ive been told there upgrades ones are a similar feel
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

ive heard exedy clutches are who makes the stock ones in our cars, so ive been told there upgrades ones are a similar feel
    I've heard that too. But I've also heard that their stronger clutches, like what I'd need for a turbo upgrade, are chattery and harsh. That's not what I'm looking for at all. I'd rather have smooth with much higher pedal stiffness. So yeah...the jury is still out on this one. I've researched clutches two years now, and probably won't fully decide until 5min before I pull the trigger. Ugh. I'm not one for coilovers, stiff bushings, light flywheels, loud exhausts, etc. I want comfortable, reliable performance. I'm still upset my car came with the SPT exhaust, because that's not what I ordered.

I Support ClubWRX
    I've heard that too. But I've also heard that their stronger clutches, like what I'd need for a turbo upgrade, are chattery and harsh. That's not what I'm looking for at all. I'd rather have smooth with much higher pedal stiffness. So yeah...the jury is still out on this one. I've researched clutches two years now, and probably won't fully decide until 5min before I pull the trigger. Ugh. I'm not one for coilovers, stiff bushings, light flywheels, loud exhausts, etc. I want comfortable, reliable performance. I'm still upset my car came with the SPT exhaust, because that's not what I ordered.
    ill be excited to see what you pick, im not replacing my clutch till the stock one starts to go bad. and just curious why you dont like the spt. ive heard it on both the sedan and hatch and thought it was a nice exhaust
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

ill be excited to see what you pick, im not replacing my clutch till the stock one starts to go bad. and just curious why you dont like the spt. ive heard it on both the sedan and hatch and thought it was a nice exhaust
    It's a nice exhaust; it's just a little (or a lot) loud for my taste. I've gotten used to it, even come to enjoy it, but it's incredibly loud. It was loud as hell to begin with, but after I installed the downpipe and flashed stg2 it's deafening at times. Between the road noise and exhaust drone I feel like I can't even hold a conversation on the highway. My wife and kids and everyone who rides with me comment on it, which tells me I've stepped a little outside the realm of practicality.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not shopping for a stock exhaust, but it surprised me at first. I went under an overpass while hitting the gas one day and it scared the hell out of me. People think I'm trying to race them when I'm just putting around town.
    Last edited by bbrock171; 03-31-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Typo

I Support ClubWRX
    It's a nice exhaust; it's just a little (or a lot) loud for my taste. I've gotten used to it, even come to enjoy it, but it's incredibly loud. It was loud as hell to begin with, but after I installed the downpipe and flashed stg2 it's deafening at times. Between the road noise and exhaust drone I feel like I can't even hold a conversation on the highway. My wife and kids and everyone who rides with me comment on it, which tells me I've stepped a little outside the realm of practicality.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not shopping for a stock exhaust, but it surprised me at first. I went under an overpass while hitting the gas one day and it scared the hell out of me. People think I'm trying to race them when I'm just putting around town.
    lol i think the spt is nice but far too quiet for me, i like crazy loud i have an n1 race with a catless dp and just got an sti genome for an interchangeable axleback
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast