SheRa - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on SheRa within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Wow that sucks...Didn't really get many miles on it after the build was done did you?...

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow that sucks...Didn't really get many miles on it after the build was done did you?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Wow that sucks...Didn't really get many miles on it after the build was done did you?
    No, it's at 5,500 miles right now and I've already replaced an engine.

I'm going to take my time rebuilding the old one, get the tune touched up and just drive it in S mode (set to 17psi) and stay out of S# (21.5psi) until I have the built block swapped back in.

Update: the new shortblock went after only ~250 miles of slow, break-in driving. #3 rod bearing literally FELL OUT and was ripped to shreds sitting in the bottom of the oil pan. How does that even happen??

The apparent cause is factory defect, probably way out of tolerance. Subaru has replaced the shortblock without putting up a fight, so the car is going completely back to stock for a while until I can rebuild the original block with forged pistons, upgraded bearings, possibly sleeves and who knows...dry sump oil system, maybe?

Long time since I've been here...

After going back to stock (minus fuel pump and catback) for several months, I finally put the downpipe and intake back on and a Cobb tune.

I'm contemplating doing a Stg2 protune and before I do that I'm currently in the market for a top mount. Any suggestions? I'm pretty familiar with the popular options out there, and currently thinking about the Perrin. I know people rave about the Process West, but I'm not really interested solely based on price.

Anyone have any reviews on the Perrin top mount or other cheaper (but quality) top mount options?

Just read the whole thread in school. Sorry to hear about your build detonating on you. Do you plan to swap a built motor in or are you going to stay relatively conservative? Also, I love the look of your car. I think it helped me change my mind about the GR's styling.
    I wish you luck with whatever you have planned for it in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by z_tweaker View Post
    Just read the whole thread in school. Sorry to hear about your build detonating on you. Do you plan to swap a built motor in or are you going to stay relatively conservative? Also, I love the look of your car. I think it helped me change my mind about the GR's styling.
    I wish you luck with whatever you have planned for it in the future.
    Much appreciated. Well the STi is my daily driver, but now I have another vehicle I can drive if need be, so I'm entertaining the idea of pulling the motor and getting drop-in pistons. I don't want a full build, and would probably leave the rest of the short block completely stock. Then again, I've already lost a ton of money getting two motors replaced, and don't really wan to put much more into the car. Not sure my marriage would survive another blown motor, lol.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.