Deso's WRX (2012 Hatch)

This is a discussion on Deso's WRX (2012 Hatch) within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'll start off let you all know that I am pretty brand new to the modding world. I have spent ...

Deso's WRX (2012 Hatch)

I'll start off let you all know that I am pretty brand new to the modding world. I have spent time with friends and neighbors working on cars, but never my own and never something I had been fully interested in. I have been driving my stock WRX for nearly a year now and it's been a blast. I'm very pleased with the car, but now it's time for the REAL fun to begin *gloves on*

I'm the only one in my friend-group that has a WRX (or even a Suburu for that matter) so I started planning future mods by researching online on my own. Rage-WRX's mod thread has been a priceless source for information and I am very thankful for that resource. I don't have it all planned out, but we'll see where I decide to go by the end of this thread!

Completed:
    ~De-badged rear (except WRX)
    ~Audio (Kenwood BT900 with an Alpine 10" in a custom ported fiberglass box and an Alpine 500w Amp)
    ~Cobb AP
    ~Cobb SF Short Ram Intake
    ~Cobb Shift knob (red)
    ~GrillCraft (Upper and Lower)
    ~Pin striping around new upper grill
    ~Rally Armor mud flaps (black w/ Red logo)
    ~OEM Fog Lights
    ~Hella Horns
    ~Painting internal areas of head lights
    ~Painting rear tail lights (red w/ masked off reverse and turn lights)
    ~Turn signal mod for behind the side vents (as done by Hoofhearted HERE)

Planned Short Term (already ordered)
    ~Front bumper lip garage liner (until funds for something better)
    ~Pin Striping between the liner and the bumper (might end up tearing it off if it looks bad)
    ~Painting WRX badges Red (debating what to do with side badges. Toying with the idea of painting the metallic surround red and the WRX lettering black, or vice versa. Open to suggestions!)

Long-Term (in order of importance to me)
    ~17" Wheels w/ Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 (Before fall 2013, want to make sure I have them ready)
    ~Window Tinting (not sure on this yet. I've never tinted in the past)
    ~Sway bars and rear brace
    ~End links
    ~Nameless 5" muffler axle-back
    ~Short Throw
    Last edited by Desolatemm; 04-23-2013 at 09:29 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So I had 2 weeks house sitting to toy with my toy. Here is what I was able to accomplish.

The dash mount had a useless slot that I couldn't think of anything to do with, so I made a detachable wood insert that can be swapped out with other wood inserts (magnetized). I just make new ones when I feel like it.

Amp is mounted beneath the passenger seat. Seat is all the way forward in these pictures.

I installed the Cobb SF Intake as well as the Cobb map. I logged several 3rd gear pulls and all the data has come up just fine. My boost started at +1.0 psi above peak. Max boost was 17.49 psi on the first pull. It slowly went down to 16.8 psi by the fifth pull. I'm going to log some more sometime soon to see if the boost will exceed 17 psi again.

Here is the ported fiberglass box I built. The Velcro keeps it in very well at high speed and quick turns. I still take it out when I go out for a fun drive.

I installed the OEM fog lights, Grillcraft upper and lower grills, Hella horns, Red pin stripe. I also painted the headlamp internals.

Installed the Rally Armor flaps and tinted the tail lights with VHT Red Night Shade. I had pre-existing cracks in the tail lights that I hoped it would cover up, but they actually show through worse now... Talked to the dealer I purchased from about getting them replaced because they were pre-existing cracks (and visible on the masked off portions) we'll see where that goes... They told me they had never seen those type of cracks before and I refuse to believe that I am the first one. Issues for another thread >>>HERE<<<

Last modification I made was a side marker mod I found on this forum in the 2011/2012 big mod thread. I followed it exactly except I added a second Amber strip to both sides that is tapped to my fog lights. I also added a piece of opaque plastic directly behind the vents to diffuse the light. This way the light shines through as one solid color and brightness. We'll see how it weathers.

Last edited by Desolatemm; 04-23-2013 at 09:30 AM.