'02 wrx wagon- dd/side-project
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on '02 wrx wagon- dd/side-project within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well I have had this car for a little over two weeks now and have done some work on it ...

'02 wrx wagon- dd/side-project

Well I have had this car for a little over two weeks now and have done some work on it and decided to start a build thread. It will be primarly a daily driver, so I won't be going to wild with it, especially since I will be running all-season tires on it.
    To start off I bought with 194k on it for 4k. Not to bad of a deal since only thing I saw that was really needing attention when I got it was serpentine belts and vc gaskets. Plus the add on it has are great; 17x7" BBS wheels, factory short throw shifter, factory premium sound w/sub, auto dimming rear-view mirror, and factory add on gauges (boost, volt, and oil temp.) Filled it up and put all new wipers on it on day 1. Day 2 involved new belts after my girlfriend took me to the parts store to get the idler pulley for the a/c comp. Went to the dealer a few days later for the hood prop rod grommet and gave it a cleaning inside and out the first weekend.
    This week I installed new ball joints, out tie rod ends, and rack boots and a oil change. Went way easier than expected except the parts run to the dealer for the rack boots. Discovered my front ds inner cv boot is torn, so another thing to the do list has been added. Also found the source of my coolant smell which was a plus, because it is leaking at the drain cock on the radiator. The PO installed a Mishimoto radiator and someone broke of the plastic ears on the drain cock so it can not be tightened well now. Looks like it may be seeping oil where the oil cooler mounts to the block so I guess a new o-ring for that and new coolant hoses since they felt kinda hard.

To do list:
    Install cat-less up-pipe (TurboXS)
    install Kart Boy rear subframe lock down bolts
    (Rear differential bushings?)

I think that's it for now. Just trying to get it caught up on maintenance items and fix the issues as I find them.
    If there is anything else I should check out or do let me know, I am all about preventative maintenance.
    Last edited by white-lightning; 06-18-2013 at 07:49 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Got the car aligned. Rear was toed out now it is set right and the ride is so much quieter, now to get rid of these cheap chinese tires. Nitto Motivos are suppose to arrive Thursday at my tire place, so hopefully Friday before work I will be rolling on new rubber.

215/45/R17 Nitto Motivos now have 200 miles on them. Seem good so far, looks like I need a front ds wheel bearing now.

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    Post pics! Sounds nice though!
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I will post some pics after I clean it again. Never had a black car, this thing is a pain to keep clean. Got new cv axle and wheel bearing today, so the fun begins tomorrow.

I will post some pics after I clean it again. Never had a black car, this thing is a pain to keep clean. Got new cv axle and wheel bearing today, so the fun begins tomorrow.

DS front wheel bearing and cv axle have been replaced. Bearing and cv were indeed bad, but right turn sound is still there here a scrapping sound from the rear on the ds with the window down. I guess, Wednesday, I will be doing that along with the oil cooler hoses and o-ring.

Steering wheel pop appears to be gone. Must have been the wheel bearing.

Replaced rear bearing and got a new sound. Either didn't get the hub pressed all the way in or a defective bearing. Replaced the oil cooler o-ring and coolant hoses along with the coolant return hose on the turbo. Got a remote off of ebay, so keyless entry is being used. Got 29.8mpg on a tank of gas earlier this week.
    '02 Midnight Black Pearl WRX wagon, 5-speed 207k miles
    factory short throw, triple gauge pod, premium sound
    Mishimoto radiator, drilled and slotted rotors

get some pics up! I wanna see it.

I don't think anyone will bash you for having a dirty-ish car. I heard having a black or white car is like having a second job, if you keep them clean. I had a black 87 wagon, was a suby, didn't keep it that clean.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

The day after I got it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	485284_10101511085229943_1069416358_n.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	113214

Looks nice. I like wagons. Don't know why. just do.

Using the attachment thing on here is kinda weird. Most people use photobucket to host the photos. So you upload photo's to your photobucket account and copy/paste one of the "image links" on the lower right, IMG code usually works ok here.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Got a brand new TurboXS cat-less up-pipe for $93. Now to get gaskets for it and get it and the rest of my parts pile installed in the next month or two before getting married in late August.

Replaced the wiper linkage assembly today. Bushing at the motor was shot. Got quoted $40 to have my up-pipe cerama-coated yesterday. Going to have it done in black after I do my timing belt and vc gaskets and all.

Finally got everything gathered for my timing belt job. Gates racing belt kit with water pump, valve cover gaskets, spark plugs, cam and crank seals, and Company23 tools for holding the cams and the wrench for the cam gears, and some extra cam sprocket bolts just in case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast