Kyle's '05 WRX
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Kyle's '05 WRX within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I figured I would make a thread, I have an 05 WRX and looking to go stage 3 soon. Here's ...

nfm

Kyle's '05 WRX

I figured I would make a thread, I have an 05 WRX and looking to go stage 3 soon. Here's how car looked 2 years ago:

Now:

And I learn to wrench on this car as I go. I'm a sloppy mechanic.

Things that have been done to the car
    - TD04 19psi, Self Tuned
    - GM EBCS
    - TGV Delete
    - Walbro 255
    - Perrin Crank Pulley
    - APS 65mm CAI
    - Catless Invidia Uppipe
    - Catless Helix 3" Downpipe
    - A'PEXi N1 Catback
    - Kartboy Shifter Bushing
    - Perrin Rear Diff Bushings
    - Kartboy Outrigger Bushings
    - Group N Engine/Pitch Stopper/Trans Mounts
    - 2005 STI Springs
    - RallySport Mudflaps

Recently:
    - VF48
    - '11 WRX 565cc injectors
    - 20psi tune (283whp/297wtq): http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=2484001
    - '04 STi struts with JDM Sti pink springs
    - Rota SVN 18x8.5 e48 5x100, Nitto NT05 245/40/18
    - STi catback hah

I don't happen to have pictures when I did the TGV delete, but while I was there I painted the intake manifold red:

At some point I bought '01 RS 6-spoke wheels from a friend (only for $200) and installed mudflaps:

Lamco boost gauge and all-weather floor mats:

Last summer I found a good local deal on STi TMIC, got it for $200:

Result:
    Last edited by nfm; 04-01-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: fixed img links
    2005 WRX
    - TD04 19psi, GM EBCS, TGV Delete / Perrin Crank Pulley
    - APS 65mm CAI
    - Catless Invidia UP/Helix DP, A'PEXi N1 Catback
    - Kartboy Shifter Bushing/Perrin Rear Diff\Outrigger Bushings
    - 2005 STI Springs

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

nfm
    Before I go stage 3 I might need to hit up on the maintenance, car currently has close to 80k mi, timing belt hasn't been changed, stock clutch, upon installing Invidia uppipe I snapped a picture of leaking valve covers:

Some other issue that remains unfixed is cracked engine cover, which currently sits ducktaped, since to fix this you need to take camshaft sprockets off, and taking those bolts off of them is a b*tch, but I will attempt it anyway when timing belt change comes around:

Other silly things that happened to me was a cracked windshield, busted tie-rod, busted ball-joint, busted end-link, leaking radiator, battery acid corrosion, cracked uppipe flange, rusted out-hole in catback. I still need to fix 2 front axles, they're both spewing grease all over from inner CV joints.

Baking soda cleaned most of the acid, but rest is corrosion and rust:

Repaired catback chilling there, and ROTAS! waiting till it gets warmer, all this time I had 16" wheels:

My current tuning setup :P
    Last edited by nfm; 03-17-2013 at 01:43 AM. Reason: fixed img links
    2005 WRX
    - APS 65mm CAI
    - 2005 STI Springs

nfm
    Vf48 waiting to go on, I found turbo locally from '08 STi 38k mi and got it for $345, injectors I bought here for $100, sweet:

Today I installed '11 WRX 565cc injectors (02/23/13):

Currently using these latencies from '11 WRX map
    [Table2D]
    6.5 9.0 11.5 14.0 16.5
    3.15 1.71 1.12 0.81 0.67

And scalar
    [Table2D]
    Injector Flow Constant

Prior to the installation I reflashed ECU 7 times and got OL AFRs pretty much 11 flat. APS 65mm seems to flow nonuniformly for me starting around 3MAFv:
    (x-axis: MAFv, y-axis: g/s)

With new injectors I'm running rich, the fuel trims in range A 0-5.6g/s are -6.5% after off-boost cruising. I will try to reduce latencies by 0.06m/s and try again.
    Last edited by nfm; 03-17-2013 at 01:43 AM. Reason: fixed img links
    2005 WRX
    - APS 65mm CAI
    - 2005 STI Springs

nfm
    Pulled the td04 off today (02/28/13), I never took off turbo before, went pretty smooth:

Still need to put vf48 in, and start tuning boost, timing and fuel should already be good with my current tune.
    Last edited by nfm; 03-17-2013 at 01:44 AM. Reason: fixed img links
    2005 WRX
    - APS 65mm CAI
    - 2005 STI Springs

nfm
    Vf48 is in. Here I could not for the love of god screw back in the bonjo bolt, bending oil hardline and getting right angle is the key:

Here I had to trim turbo elbow coupler since vf48 sits further into the car than td04 did:

Here I bypassed electronic bcs and ran a line from compressor outlet to wastegate, giving me wg pressure/7psi for a safe first drive after install:

At first coolant started leaking bad and oil too, I didn't torque the top oil feed line hard enough. I have first results, in this map target boost was 15psi through whole rpm spectrum, OL is 10.94afr, I have an airboy dyno and a 3rd gear log:

About 275whp/260wtq mustang dyno numbers? Also used STi catback here, with A'PEXi N1 it should be even better:

Not quite 11afr, afrs spiked up to 11.4afr, that's too lean for summer--but it's because of injectors still needing right cc/min value (edit: actually it was the MAF scaling again that needed to be fine tuned):

Learning view after all was said and done:

Looks like injectors are flowing less than 548cc/min (Romraider value), I'm about 0.35afr lean, MAFv above 4.3 is untuned, since td04 never got up there, nice to see vf48 flowing up to 17.2psi at 6.5k rpm no problem, but I'm running very rich up there, up to 0.8afr (10.94-10.5 + 0.35) from what it looks like. I should be easily able to squeeze out another 20/30wtq of torque in midrange. I'm shooting to peak around 20psi.

In next map revision I plan on running more timing at +5k rpm, more boost in midrange, lean out +4.3MAFv, tweak injector scalar, this run used 548cc/min, I will try 541cc/min this time (edit: 546cc/min seems to be a sweet spot), latencies are all good--got that out of the way quick.

Vf48 sounds pretty good, it's giving out quiet jet engine sound when it starts spooling
    Once I get everything dialed in, I will hit P&L dyno!
    Last edited by nfm; 03-17-2013 at 01:45 AM.
    2005 WRX
    - APS 65mm CAI
    - 2005 STI Springs

nfm
    (03/14/13)

Cleaned up the:

to:

Put new CV boot, grease, and 1 smaller clip

2005 WRX
    - APS 65mm CAI
    - 2005 STI Springs

nfm
    (03/16/13)

So earlier today I tried replacing the valve cover gasket including half-moon cam seals:

I applied the RTV paste where manual calls:

However after letting it cure and about 20 miles of driving, I found oil leaking onto exhaust manifold shield, it seems to be coming from the bottom of the cover. I applied more torque to the bottom bolts, but I'm not sure if that will be enough, spec calls only for 4.7lb/ft, or perhaps I already fubared the threads, but I've been careful not to, we'll see if it still leaks.

I found '04 STi struts with JDM STi pink springs locally, the ones that provide lower ride:

Front:

Back:

Ride is much stiffer and lower compared to the WRX struts with '05 STi springs (224/195 lbs/inch). These springs are 257/217 lbs/inch. I'm getting the infamous rear STi clunk, looks like rear struts will need to be taken apart and regreased.

Calipers have been painted copper, actually they have been like that since summer, earlier pics show car before that. Wheels are 18x8.5 Rota SVN with custom wheel caps, I love these, the tires are 245/40/18, I think these are the meatiest that will fit my year, there's barely any clearance left between the tire and the rear struts. Looks so much better than little 16s and 205s.
    2005 WRX
    - APS 65mm CAI
    - 2005 STI Springs

I Support ClubWRX
    So far so good

nfm
    Quote Originally Posted by lalcaps824 View Post
    So far so good
    hey fellow '05 WRX owner, the last 2.0L and drive-by-wire , not much going on here lately, I have an image I took today:

Next thing that I might do are 850cc decapped WRX injectors and e85 tune. Would be nice to more torque. Currently I'm making around 283whp/297wtq on Airboy dyno: 2.0L vf48 283whp/297wtq - NASIOC
    2005 WRX
    - APS 65mm CAI
    - 2005 STI Springs

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.