2013 WRX, SWP Hatch

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX, SWP Hatch within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Purchase date: February 11, 2013 I have a 60 mile commute to work, so first and foremost, I wanted to ...

2013 WRX, SWP Hatch

Purchase date: February 11, 2013

I have a 60 mile commute to work, so first and foremost, I wanted to be comfortable! Audio was a huge priority from me to get things started. Moving forward, I'm interested in getting more into performance. I'm planning on getting involved with autocross through the Capital Driving Club, but it's still a pretty new world to me. I used to drive a 350Z, so I'm familiar with performance cars, but never really got involved with it as a hobby.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00080.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	112089

Name:	rear.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	112778

Exterior:

35% side tint, 20% on the hatch. Debadged. Exhaust finishers painted black. DIY tail light "overlay" mod (painted). Billet Stubby Antenna.

For exhaust finisher: Performix PLASTI DIP Intl. Mulit-Purpose Rubber Coating Spray BLACK 11oz
    For tail lights: Krylon Stained Glass Color 6oz Red and Rust-Oleum 7701830 Stops Rust, 12 oz. Spray, Gloss Crystal Clear

Drivetrain/Transmission:

• SPT 5MT short throw shifter

Interior:

Audio:

Notes:

• I played around with a few Nav units on display at BestBuy. The AVIC-Z140BH seems like a pretty solid choice, and I've read nothing but good things about the Metra Axxess ASWC providing full functionality with this head unit in this car. If you're in the market for a new toy like this, by all means go play with a few options at a local big box store to make sure you're getting what you want...then come straight home and make the actual purchase online. BestBuy wanted $1200 for this head unit. I paid $637 on Amazon.
    • The USB and 4-pole 3.5mm cables are to retain functionality in the media hub in the center console. I still need to get these installed.
    • The UltraGauge is being used as a ghetto boost gauge that doesn't quite work in real time! That will eventually be replaced with an AccessPort once I acquire the funds to start tinkering more under the hood. That will likely be more of a long term project than anything immediate, since I think my wife is already starting to realize that all of those boxes that have been showing up on the front porch cost money.

Shopping list:

More pics to come in the next few weeks. Cheers!
    Last edited by shibx; 04-02-2013 at 06:22 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

[AUDIO INSTALL]

New toys waiting to be installed...

Name:	new toys.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	112142

Amp install under driver's seat. Picture of seat taken out, before wires were routed. I didn't get as many pictures as I would have liked, since I was working outside and it had just started snowing...

Name:	ampinstall.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	112779

CDT Audio Euroframes (EF-61 CF) installed, with speaker spacers provided by Phenryiv1. Single layer of mass loading on the doors, still need to get the Ensolite IUO installed on top, but sounding pretty good so far.

Name:	speakerspacer.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	112780

Vifa OC25SC65-04 1" Textile Dome Tweeter installed in stock tweeter panels, fit right in without needing to modify anything. Tweets are passively crossed, 1st order, around 2500hz with a 15ufd inline cap. No Lpad, abusing EQ for attenuation. Mids are actively crossed from the h/u at 63hz, with a natural roll-off between 2.5-5k. Currently unamped. Mostly just threw in some speakers I had laying around as an excuse to get the door panels off to get some sound deadening installed. Stock speakers honestly aren't that bad, and would sound pretty respectable with some deadener and spacers put in (staging issues aside from being coaxial).
    Last edited by shibx; 03-23-2013 at 07:42 AM.

Reserved.

Nice! Question, how long did it take you to make the first post though lol.

Got some audio stuff installed. I should have some more pics up later today.

Quote Originally Posted by jcr557 View Post
    Nice! Question, how long did it take you to make the first post though lol.
    Ha, it really wasn't that bad. I pretty much just copied and pasted links from my Amazon order history.

How do you like the illum kit? Is it worth it?
    Yellow lights mean go faster!!!