Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ^Nice Lebowski reference...

^Nice Lebowski reference
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

^

Not too much progress this weekend, since I was feeling a little under-the-weather and lazy. So all I did today was install my mudflaps and do a little project I’d been thinking of for a while. Here’s the first project and the mudflaps, I replaced all the push pins in the front fender liners with rivnuts and some machine screws; this is also the same method I used to install the mudflaps:

The second project was to install some window nets (the type used to keep you in the car when racing) and replaced the panel that was behind the car seats. While I was at it I removed the seat belts and some of the other un-needed hardware back there; probably 10-15 net pounds dropped off.

Maybe during this week (supposed to be half-days at work) I’ll cut the roof and install the roof-vent and scoop and maybe finally decide whether I’m installing the last 2 Stiffis or just removing the center one and leaving it with 2; spacing looks off no matter which way I go.
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 04-19-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Alright, some more progress. Tuesday (22nd) I started doing some things that Iíd been waiting to do since they all involved pulling out the TMIC, and as anyone with a stock location IC on an STi knows, that thing is kind of a bitch to get back in quickly. (Iíll have to pull it back off to install the T-bolt clamps and the rest of the Samco hoses for the IC.)

So I started Tuesday by finally fixing my Defi gauge setup; the gauges werenít lighting up unless the headlights were actually on (not just DRLs); turns out I just had the daisy chain of gauges in the spot for the plain, old Link-Meter gauges (spot 1) when they needed to be plugged into the jack for Link-Meter BF gauges (spot 2). As soon as I switched the connection and turned on the ďAccessoryĒ position with the key, they lit up. I followed this up by installing the white BF oil pressure gauge I found on Amazon (last one!!!) but had to wait for UPS to show up to install the sender as they were delivering the galley plug I needed to finish it up (made an extension for the sender using a grease gun hose, a couple 1/8 NPT female-1/8 BSPT fittings, one 1/8 BSPT female-female coupler, and the galley plug). Well I waited I took out the TMIC and started working my way to the galley plug location; all I can say is **** whoever decided installing those spring clips upside down was a good idea, took me a good hour to remove the other end of the hose connected to the BPV (big hose, not little) and the other end of the coolant hose connected to the throttle body. Got a bit of a coolant shower as I worked around here, mainly because I used canned air to try and push the coolant out of that TB coolant hose and it pushed back out with extra pressure when I stopped pushing air in. Got to a stopping point in this job (galley plug hadnít arrived yet) so I switched lanes.

Next job I switched to was installing the KartBoy Pitch Stop Mount, easy install, however I didnít realize the nut on the firewall side was welded in place so I ended up breaking it loose. No biggy, just need a 17 and a 14mm (IIRC) to do it if I ever have to disconnect it. Next task was installing the Turn-In-Concepts Master Cylinder Brace, relatively easy install on a car without an air-pump (stock that way) and with the TMIC out of the way. Took me all of about 20 minutes to do taking my time, could feel the difference in the pedal feel (not sure if I felt the pitch stop mount however, I was paying attention to the last thing installed more) when I finally drove her. Time for another part since I was still waiting, think Iíll finally install the turbo blanket (PTP Lava) and my Perrin Turbo Heat Shield. Somewhat of a pain getting the old heatshield off, mainly the bottom portion as it is designed to be removed only if the downpipe isnít in the way. A little bit of bending later and some pushing and it is out of the way. Turbo blanket goes in with some headache (imagine it is easier if the car is even more disassembled) and the heat shield goes over it with little hassle (snapped the head off one of the 2 bolts on the driverís side, no biggy).

Finally the galley plug has arrived!! Time to install the oil pressure sender. Relatively easy install (once you get the old plug out after dealing with those damned spring clips and coolant showers), hook it up to the cable, run it in to the car and connect to the control unit. Good to go. Itís getting late so I do one last thing and finish the install on my boost gauge (had sender set up, just never got it hooked into the BPV hose). And with this last part done it is bedtime. Here are pics of the progress, you can see the blanket, heat shield, oil pressure sender and the MCB (partially) in the first pic; second shows the MCB a bit better.

Wednesday (the 23rd) I wake up and decide it is time to finally install something long awaited, right after I get that damned TMIC back in, along with all the hoses underneath. Ended up installing the Samco hose for the connection from the Y-pipe to the turbo as it was easier to install the IC with the hose on the turbo, almost popped right in to place after an hour of struggling with other strategies (also removed the driverís side bracket to make life easier, reinstalled once IC was in place). Hooked everything up and made sure the coolant was fine by running it to clear any air in the lines. Seemed to be good to go, so onto the next job, the roof vent.

So finally got this job started, unfortunately the compressor I bought from Harbor freight was unable to do this task adequately so it had to be returned as it would allow me about 15 seconds of grinding before it spent a minute refilling the tank. Ended up cutting the hole with an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and no guard (not safe, and got hit with lots of sparks). Finally got the hole cut out the holes for mounting drilled but because the wife was at school I had to wait for her to come home to actually get the vent mounted. The sealant I used (outdoor rated, paintable silicone caulk) takes a while to cure so I let it cure overnight with some modification to the external seal.

Woke up this morning and cleaned up the garage a bit after I gave the heads of the rivets a quick coat of black paint. Allowed it to dry a bit and then removed the masking I had down. Cleaned up and then installed the roof scoop.

Took her for a drive afterwards, had to go return the compressor and some other bits to Harbor Freight, shipped off a return to a shop and got fuel for myself and for Bianca, and mainly just to go for a drive. I could feel the difference that the MCB gave to the brakes, they feel less spongy now. Didnít really notice the pitch stop upgrade, but I kind of forgot about it when I was enjoying the fruits of the rest of my labor, pretty gauges that are actually doing their jobs (except the EGT gauge, I need to finally get that sender installed in the headers) and the wind getting pushed in with the windows shut. I do need something to direct the airflow more to the sides to make the vent even more useful, but it does get the air moving in the car, when I was moving the car wasnít ridiculously hot with the windows up, with the car at rest though itís a different story (for obvious reasons). Hereís some pics post drive.

Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Well would ya look at that? A scoop on the roof. Looks pretty sweet actually lol!

Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Well would ya look at that? A scoop on the roof. Looks pretty sweet actually lol!
    Thanks. I'll post up some better pics later where the vent is actually visible (and maybe an internal view) but right today I'm considering how to possibly reinstall the headliner for a cleaner appearance inside (wife doesn't like the look of the more-and-more stripped interior, :lol: ). Just have to figure what I'm going to use for the trim around the hole I cut last night.

Hmm, now should I post up the DIY I wrote for it up on here (in its own thread) after I finish up?
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345