Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ^Nice Lebowski reference...

^Nice Lebowski reference
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

^

Not too much progress this weekend, since I was feeling a little under-the-weather and lazy. So all I did today was install my mudflaps and do a little project I’d been thinking of for a while. Here’s the first project and the mudflaps, I replaced all the push pins in the front fender liners with rivnuts and some machine screws; this is also the same method I used to install the mudflaps:

The second project was to install some window nets (the type used to keep you in the car when racing) and replaced the panel that was behind the car seats. While I was at it I removed the seat belts and some of the other un-needed hardware back there; probably 10-15 net pounds dropped off.

Maybe during this week (supposed to be half-days at work) I’ll cut the roof and install the roof-vent and scoop and maybe finally decide whether I’m installing the last 2 Stiffis or just removing the center one and leaving it with 2; spacing looks off no matter which way I go.
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 04-19-2014 at 02:01 PM.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Alright, some more progress. Tuesday (22nd) I started doing some things that Iíd been waiting to do since they all involved pulling out the TMIC, and as anyone with a stock location IC on an STi knows, that thing is kind of a bitch to get back in quickly. (Iíll have to pull it back off to install the T-bolt clamps and the rest of the Samco hoses for the IC.)

So I started Tuesday by finally fixing my Defi gauge setup; the gauges werenít lighting up unless the headlights were actually on (not just DRLs); turns out I just had the daisy chain of gauges in the spot for the plain, old Link-Meter gauges (spot 1) when they needed to be plugged into the jack for Link-Meter BF gauges (spot 2). As soon as I switched the connection and turned on the ďAccessoryĒ position with the key, they lit up. I followed this up by installing the white BF oil pressure gauge I found on Amazon (last one!!!) but had to wait for UPS to show up to install the sender as they were delivering the galley plug I needed to finish it up (made an extension for the sender using a grease gun hose, a couple 1/8 NPT female-1/8 BSPT fittings, one 1/8 BSPT female-female coupler, and the galley plug). Well I waited I took out the TMIC and started working my way to the galley plug location; all I can say is **** whoever decided installing those spring clips upside down was a good idea, took me a good hour to remove the other end of the hose connected to the BPV (big hose, not little) and the other end of the coolant hose connected to the throttle body. Got a bit of a coolant shower as I worked around here, mainly because I used canned air to try and push the coolant out of that TB coolant hose and it pushed back out with extra pressure when I stopped pushing air in. Got to a stopping point in this job (galley plug hadnít arrived yet) so I switched lanes.

Next job I switched to was installing the KartBoy Pitch Stop Mount, easy install, however I didnít realize the nut on the firewall side was welded in place so I ended up breaking it loose. No biggy, just need a 17 and a 14mm (IIRC) to do it if I ever have to disconnect it. Next task was installing the Turn-In-Concepts Master Cylinder Brace, relatively easy install on a car without an air-pump (stock that way) and with the TMIC out of the way. Took me all of about 20 minutes to do taking my time, could feel the difference in the pedal feel (not sure if I felt the pitch stop mount however, I was paying attention to the last thing installed more) when I finally drove her. Time for another part since I was still waiting, think Iíll finally install the turbo blanket (PTP Lava) and my Perrin Turbo Heat Shield. Somewhat of a pain getting the old heatshield off, mainly the bottom portion as it is designed to be removed only if the downpipe isnít in the way. A little bit of bending later and some pushing and it is out of the way. Turbo blanket goes in with some headache (imagine it is easier if the car is even more disassembled) and the heat shield goes over it with little hassle (snapped the head off one of the 2 bolts on the driverís side, no biggy).

Finally the galley plug has arrived!! Time to install the oil pressure sender. Relatively easy install (once you get the old plug out after dealing with those damned spring clips and coolant showers), hook it up to the cable, run it in to the car and connect to the control unit. Good to go. Itís getting late so I do one last thing and finish the install on my boost gauge (had sender set up, just never got it hooked into the BPV hose). And with this last part done it is bedtime. Here are pics of the progress, you can see the blanket, heat shield, oil pressure sender and the MCB (partially) in the first pic; second shows the MCB a bit better.

Wednesday (the 23rd) I wake up and decide it is time to finally install something long awaited, right after I get that damned TMIC back in, along with all the hoses underneath. Ended up installing the Samco hose for the connection from the Y-pipe to the turbo as it was easier to install the IC with the hose on the turbo, almost popped right in to place after an hour of struggling with other strategies (also removed the driverís side bracket to make life easier, reinstalled once IC was in place). Hooked everything up and made sure the coolant was fine by running it to clear any air in the lines. Seemed to be good to go, so onto the next job, the roof vent.

So finally got this job started, unfortunately the compressor I bought from Harbor freight was unable to do this task adequately so it had to be returned as it would allow me about 15 seconds of grinding before it spent a minute refilling the tank. Ended up cutting the hole with an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel and no guard (not safe, and got hit with lots of sparks). Finally got the hole cut out the holes for mounting drilled but because the wife was at school I had to wait for her to come home to actually get the vent mounted. The sealant I used (outdoor rated, paintable silicone caulk) takes a while to cure so I let it cure overnight with some modification to the external seal.

Woke up this morning and cleaned up the garage a bit after I gave the heads of the rivets a quick coat of black paint. Allowed it to dry a bit and then removed the masking I had down. Cleaned up and then installed the roof scoop.

Took her for a drive afterwards, had to go return the compressor and some other bits to Harbor Freight, shipped off a return to a shop and got fuel for myself and for Bianca, and mainly just to go for a drive. I could feel the difference that the MCB gave to the brakes, they feel less spongy now. Didnít really notice the pitch stop upgrade, but I kind of forgot about it when I was enjoying the fruits of the rest of my labor, pretty gauges that are actually doing their jobs (except the EGT gauge, I need to finally get that sender installed in the headers) and the wind getting pushed in with the windows shut. I do need something to direct the airflow more to the sides to make the vent even more useful, but it does get the air moving in the car, when I was moving the car wasnít ridiculously hot with the windows up, with the car at rest though itís a different story (for obvious reasons). Hereís some pics post drive.

Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Well would ya look at that? A scoop on the roof. Looks pretty sweet actually lol!

Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Well would ya look at that? A scoop on the roof. Looks pretty sweet actually lol!
    Thanks. I'll post up some better pics later where the vent is actually visible (and maybe an internal view) but right today I'm considering how to possibly reinstall the headliner for a cleaner appearance inside (wife doesn't like the look of the more-and-more stripped interior, :lol: ). Just have to figure what I'm going to use for the trim around the hole I cut last night.

Hmm, now should I post up the DIY I wrote for it up on here (in its own thread) after I finish up?
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

I'm slowly getting an update together here, got some stuff going in slowly, but I'd rather wait to make a bigger post (seems more worthwhile). This will be more of a life update post.

Here's our dog, Cassie. She's a Weimaraner/Chocolate Lab mix (about 1.5 years old) that the wife and I rescued from the animal services shelter here the middle of July. She had been dropped off there by her previous family that claimed they couldn't take a Lab with to their next duty station (haven't heard of a single duty station that restricts Labs, so calling bull**** there, they couldn't deal with her energy is more likely).

Unfortunately she had developed kennel cough while in the shelter, when we went to get that treated we found out she also had heart-worm and based on the development she had had it (them?) a while, so before her previous family dumped her, a good while. My conjecture is that they found out about the heart-worm and cheaped out on treating her (much less vaccinating her) or putting her down and instead paid the small fee to drop her off at the shelter. (Plea for help is near the bottom, along with a link to the gofundme page for Cassie's treatment).

After some tests (to see how enlarged her heart and other organs were) we decided we would get her treated. This consists of 3 months of treatment, first month is HeartGuard to kill the eggs, second month is a shot to kill the adults (happened two Fridays ago) and the third step will be two more shots a month later seperated by 24 hours. We will have to keep her as inactive as possible during this time (the months after the shots) which is quite difficult with an energetic breed mix and one this young. The purpose of the inactivity (and keeping her heart-rate lower) is to prevent strokes or the lungs from getting clogged from dead worms.

Anyways, here's a couple pictures of this goofball (she thinks she's a lapdog, she's 60 lbs). She loves to run and jump around a lot so that makes this period even more difficult, but chew toys are helping.

Her being my wife's lapdog (she seriously just plops down in your lap):

And one of her and that giant, floppy tongue:

We started a gofundme page for her treatment too (it's going to cost us around a grand to hopefully save her life and hopefully get a full life out of her). Here's the link: Cassie May Heartworm Treatment if anyone wants to contribute at all. I'll also quote what my wife said in it, since she's a bit more eloquent in this case than I am.

I would like to introduce you to Cassie May! She is a gorgeous, affectionate, and goofy 1.5 year old lab mix my husband and I adopted from the local kill shelter. Her favorite thing in the world is to cuddle up in our lap, despite being 60 pounds, and give us tons of kisses! She likes to carry her toys and blanket in her mouth wherever she goes. She can usually be found right behind us as she doesn't let us out of her sight, not even for a minute! It makes for some interesting showers. Despite her background, she is a loving and happy dog and fits perfectly within our family. However, a couple days after adoption, we discovered she tested positive for heartworm. We were devastated as we had already fallen in love with her and her with us. She is our little shadow. <3 We decided we wanted to go ahead with the treatment and give her the best possible life because she deserves it. Unfortunately, we were not expecting a $1000 vet bill and a 4.5 month long treatment. My family and I are asking you from the bottom of our hearts if you could please help with her treatment. Any amount of money would be greatly appreciated and will help us immensely. We want our baby girl to be healthly and live a long wonderful life. Thank you. <3
    And the update about a week ago:
    Hi everyone! I wanted to say thank you again to everyone that has donated and shared Cassie's page. It means a great deal to myself and my family. I also wanted to update everyone on how Cassie has been doing. She has been enjoying life these past two months. Her favorite things in the world are to try and catch bugs in our backyard and then cuddle up in our lap once she is tired. However, the fun and play times have come to end. Cassie started the next part of her treatment yesterday. She received an injection in her back that will kill the worms. The side effects of the injection are an increased chance of stroke, heart attack, and lung blockages if her heart rate increases too much and the dead worms break off and enter her lungs. This means the baby girl is not allowed to play, take walks, or get super excited for two months. If you know this girl, you know that is going to be a challenge. She is full of so much spunk! Unfortunately, that means she will have to be crated for the majority of the time as per the veterinarians directions. She also will receive another two injections 24 hours apart in another month. Then a month later, hopefully all the worms are dead and the baby girl is in the clear! It is going to be a difficult and anxiety filled journey. I ask that you can keep Cassie and our family in your prayers. Thank you.
    Anyways, sorry about the wall of text, but that's our pup that we love. Cheers.
    -Greg

P.S. If anyone knows anyone with a 3rd gen WRX ('08-14), I have parts laying around for them. If I could sell the damned Spearco TMIC that would be a huge boon, as it's a $1000 part sitting around here and completely useless to me. Same deal with the seat covers, brake duct kit, GrimmSpeed heat shield, strut top spacers (all Impreza lines '08-14) and the other 3 Perrin Stiffis (for GDs) that won't be going on Bianca. Getting this stuff gone would also help an insane amount.
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 09-29-2014 at 11:41 AM.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

Wow sorry to hear about the pup...she's adorable though and will provide you with a life full of happiness. Worth every single penny. I'll see about sending a couple bucks your way when I get a chance. Best of luck with it!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Wow sorry to hear about the pup...she's adorable though and will provide you with a life full of happiness. Worth every single penny. I'll see about sending a couple bucks your way when I get a chance. Best of luck with it!
    That's what we're trying for, keep this furchild alive and give her a good life. Appreciate it, oh, and I don't know if you're still interested in them, but the Brembos should be coming off soon, slowly getting the 4/2 pots rebuilt, just waiting on some little pieces for it (retaining pins, spring clips, etc) so I can repaint them and reassemble.

Rather sell the old parts than get donations, matter of pride with me, the wife's the one who started that gofundme page and pushed me to post on the forums.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Going from Brembos to Subaru 4/2 pots seems like a terrible downgrade. You should consider AP's monoblock design.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Going from Brembos to Subaru 4/2 pots seems like a terrible downgrade. You should consider AP's monoblock design.
    Oh, Zax, not reading again. Obviously I'm going to the 4/2 pots for a reason, and I'm not going to spend a couple grand on new calipers (if I did, I'd be going with a Wilwood gravel setup), especially not right now. Also, it's obviously not too much of a downgrade (with good fluid, lines and pads) considering how many rally guys run the same exact setup and have zero issues.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

I forget what price you were offering, but I may be going for Zax's Prodrive setup...lemme know.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345