new to the subies

This is a discussion on new to the subies within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just picked up a 02 wrx has 220k on it was wanting to do the 2.5 swap my question ...

new to the subies

I just picked up a 02 wrx has 220k on it was wanting to do the 2.5 swap my question is would it be better to just build the 2.0 or do the swap it has a megan racing manifold up pipe downnpipe and back to a stromung exhaust. He gave me a tdo6 20g and a cobb ecu not installed so wats the best route would like about 350whp my names chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What's your budget, and what is the car going to be used for?

FYI, Megan racing is junk, Cobb doesn't make ECUs, and there's probably a hundred different td06 20g's, some of which are worthless, some are good.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    What's your budget, and what is the car going to be used for?

Daily. Maybe every now and then go to track and cobb don't make ecu's anymore they use to flash them and I drive truck I make decent money

FYI, Megan racing is junk, Cobb doesn't make ECUs, and there's probably a hundred different td06 20g's, some of which are worthless, some are good.

Personally, I'd do a 2.5L (and have).

Wats the budget on it and how hard is it I'm a decent mechanic but never messed with subies before

To do it right, I'd say $6k-$8k (mine's well over $12k in the engine now). To do a proper head rebuild and chamber matching for the 2.5L you're going to need a machine shop with a lot of (successful) Subaru specific experience. Assembly is fairly straightforward, but it's not like a Honda or even Evo engine that you can just throw together. There are a lot of Subaru quirks that without an experienced builder can add up to lots of failed engines and costly builds. For example I'm going on my fifth engine rebuild in four years, most of which the car has been undrivable. And all of my builds were done by a professional Subaru engine builder.