Dan5505's 2013 WRX Build Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Dan5505's 2013 WRX Build Thread within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Welcome to my build log. I take a lot of pictures and sometimes they suck. Enjoy. September 2012 Placed an ...

Dan5505's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Welcome to my build log. I take a lot of pictures and sometimes they suck. Enjoy.

September 2012

Placed an order for a 2013 Black Hatchback WRX base model with short throw shifter.

November 2012

Picked it up from the dealership.

Purchased a set of Blizzak WS70 tires. (picture taken after 3000 miles)

January 2013

Audio Install Stage 1

Initial Equipment:

• Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS
    • 10" Dayton HO 4ohm SVC in a cheap sealed box (reused from old vehicle)
    • Kenwood Excelon KAC-X812D (reused from old vehicle)
    • Rockford Fosgate 4ga wiring kit & patch cable
    • SiriusXM SXV200V1 adapter
    • Microbypass parking brake bypass
    • JDM Bezel
    • Axxess ASWC steering wheel adapter (purchased from SVXdc)
    • SVXdc 20 pin wiring harness
    • SVXdc aux jack adapter
    • SVXdc usb adapter diy kit

Head Unit Install

Factory bezel removed

Lower vent tube removed. This makes it easier to disconnect the wires in the back of the head unit.

Factory wiring

Building the usb adapter

Factory bracket with Pioneer screws

All the wiring harnesses and adapters. Originally, I used a 12V relay for the parking brake bypass, but it didn't work. For the 2013 Pioneer's you have to use the microbypass.

Head unit with JDM bezel

XM Antenna Location and Routing

Amplifier Power Cable Install

First, I removed the grommet at this location:

I cut a hole in the grommet, then forced the power wire through. Vaseline helps.

Next, I modified the red battery cover and routed the cable behind the engine.

You have to cut a hole in the sponge and carpet before pushing the power cable through the firewall. I took the advice from another thread and cut a hole by hand using a drill bit.

After you unbolt the seat, you can tip it rearward and find the two connectors you need to disconnect. They are already disconnected in this picture.

You will need to remove the front triangular trim piece and the long door trim piece. I routed the power cable under the carpet, behind the front triangular trim piece, and under the passenger door trim piece. You don't have to fully remove the triangular piece, just pop it up and rotate it out of the way. You can route the power cable under the side trim then pop out under the seat by the vents.

There are two bolts near the under seat vents. They work well for grounding locations.

I ran the patch cable under the center console and poped out under the seat by the vents.

The Kenwood fits under the seat, but it's pretty tight. I plan on replacing this amp. It has some static in the output lines.

I ran the sub signal cable in the same fashion under the carpet and under the side trim panels.

These trim panels are tight. I cracked the rear one. It was really cold at the time. That may have made it more brittle. A replacement piece only costs $12 at Subaru.

Here is the Dayton HO in the cheap box.

Replaced the dealership license plate frames. Cheap, simple, and it adds 5HP. Link

Sold my old car

February 2013

Installed a Precision Power PPI P1000.1 amp. I still need to take a picture of the amp, but this is where I mounted the wired remote:

March 2013

Swapped back to the Dunlops.

35% tint.

October 2013

Bought a set of Black Enkei Imolas for my summer tires. I picked up an ATEQ TPMS Quickset tool as well.

April 2014

Plasti-dipped wheels.

Next:

• Accessport V3
    • Cobb downpipe and intake
    • aftermarket component speakers
    Last edited by dan5505; 04-13-2014 at 12:42 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

reserved

reserved 2

Nice work!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Nice install and avatar. I love archer

I Support ClubWRX
    nice job so far
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

keep it up... Any problems so far with that pioneer head unit? Im looking into one...

Quote Originally Posted by atissasha View Post
    keep it up... Any problems so far with that pioneer head unit? I'm looking into one...
    I have been having a few issues with it.

1. When used with the ASWC Axxess, my mode button and forward track button rarely work. They worked fine with the stock head unit. All the wiring has been checked.
    2. I cannot access the voice command menu from the steering wheel when using the ASWC. I'm not sure if this is a Metra issue or Pioneer.
    3. The Pandora app only works approximately half the time. I have a Galaxy Nexus running CM10.1 and Paranoid Android.
    4. You cannot calibrate the touch screen while using the parking brake bypass. This is because the head unit turns off the power to the remote turn on line when the head unit is turned off. To get around this, you can apply a 12V source to your remote turn on wire.
    5. The XM preset buttons are tiny little circles on the left of the screen. They are hard to hit while driving.

Otherwise, its not bad for the money. I'm a little disappointed in the steering wheel integration. I love the Pandora app when it works.

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice car and cat.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Nice work! And thanks for all the pics, very helpful to see it come together.

Update on the Pioneer head unit and ASWC steering wheel adapter:

I swapped the ASWC with a new unit of the same model. Now the forward track and mode button work fine. You still cannot get to voice command from the steering wheel, but that is just a limitation of this head unit.

Quote Originally Posted by dan5505 View Post
    Update on the Pioneer head unit and ASWC steering wheel adapter:

I swapped the ASWC with a new unit of the same model. Now the forward track and mode button work fine. You still cannot get to voice command from the steering wheel, but that is just a limitation of this head unit.
    Wow man this is amazing documentation. Thanks for putting the time into doing this.

I'm planning on doing an identical build soonish (picking up the car at the end of this month)

Any advice? Anything you would have done differently?
    Did you ever get around to replacing the stock speakers? Or was it not even necessary because it sounded so good?
    Where exactly did you pick up the JDM bezel from?

Thanks again man, this walkthrough is amazing.
    Last edited by oOTAGOo; 05-12-2013 at 07:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by oOTAGOo View Post
    Wow man this is amazing documentation. Thanks for putting the time into doing this.

I'm planning on doing an identical build soonish (picking up the car at the end of this month)

Any advice? Anything you would have done differently?
    Where exactly did you pick up the JDM bezel from?

Thanks again man, this walkthrough is amazing.
    I picked up the bezel from AvoJDM for 7367 yen including shipping.

If I were to start over from the beginning, I would have not ordered the car with the short throw shifter. There is nothing wrong with it, but now I want an aftermarket short throw shifter, so I wasted some money on the stock one. For the head unit, I think I would have been happier with the AVH-X5500BHS, mostly for the larger screen and 4V preouts. Lastly, I regret not getting clear bra before all the rock chips. I knew the subaru paint was bad going in to this, but I wasnt expecting it to be this bad. I have three or four large chips on my hood and lots of little ones. The primer is a grey color and sticks out like a sore thumb.

Sweet, I got everything ordered with the exception of the SVXdc adapters. Waiting on an email back from him (hope he still makes these). How long did it take for your bezel to show up? Hoping I get everything before the car arrives.

Thanks again man.

I will try and post some pics of my build at some point also.

Quote Originally Posted by oOTAGOo View Post
    Sweet, I got everything ordered with the exception of the SVXdc adapters. Waiting on an email back from him (hope he still makes these). How long did it take for your bezel to show up? Hoping I get everything before the car arrives.

Thanks again man.

I will try and post some pics of my build at some point also.
    If I remember correctly, it took a few weeks for it to show up. Also, expect a small fee on your credit card for international purchases. I think my credit card company charged me somewhere around $5.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast