Keff108's Build Thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on Keff108's Build Thread within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alot has changed since my last post. So far Ive added a full Invidia TBE with a catted downpipe. Im ...

Alot has changed since my last post. So far Ive added a full Invidia TBE with a catted downpipe. Im tuned by Eric at Torque Performance. Went with a Grimmspeed heat shield for the turbo since the factory one doesnt fit the downpipe. Added a Defi Red Racer Boost Gauge with a A pillar pod from JCS pods (great products). Also I just placed an order on a Grimmspeed up pipe with a 38mm Tial External Wastegate to try to control my boost. Ive been having problems with my boost spikes and over boosting and talked with Eric and decided to go EWG. Im gonna start getting parts together to go Stage 3 after my EWG install. Hopefully a FMIC, fuel pump and other small things then I will start on suspension. I will update with some pictures in my next post.
    2013 Wrx Black Hatch

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A few pictures of recent chnages :

Removed the roof rack a few weeks ago. Thats gonna be a winter thing I think. Other then that exterior wise not much has changed except for the exhaust. I picked up a Invidia Q300 catback and I love it. Sound is perfect not too loud which is what I was looking for. Added hella supertones as well those were a nice upgrade and added to the front look of the car. They are also alot louder which is good and I will get a picture of them up. Now its a waiting game for my EWG to come in should be in one day this week then hopefully install it next weekend. That is all for now.
    2013 Wrx Black Hatch

is overboost common with the Invidia catted? Im about to go stage 2 and cant decide on a dp.

Does the placement of the boost gauge interfere with the defroster vent for the driver side window?

SJ9nintey

Overboost is said to be a common problem with the Invidia downpipes themselves. I talked with Eric over at Torqued Performance and he told me the problem is probably because of the design of the downpipe. I wanted to completely eliminate the problem so I decided to go with a 38mm EWG setup from Grimmspeed and a Grimmspeed EBCS which should keep my boost is check and should solve my problems. Ive heard that the Cobb downpipes are a good safe design but I cant guarantee which one wont cause overboosting problems.

Motocheme

Good question that was somethingI was concerned about but I decided to pull the trigger one it and see in person how it fits. Fit and finish is top notch IMO and to answer your question the pod does NOT interfere at all with the defroster. The defroster still hits the window by going over the pod. The pod has great placement and is alot better then the SMY's that everyone seems to run. I find that seeing the gauge while driving is alot easier and clearer to read where the placement on the SMY is low and kinda behind the steering wheel IMO. To each their own tho.
    2013 Wrx Black Hatch

Thanks! Did you do the install yourself? If so did it take long and were there any difficult parts?

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd sell the catted pipe and pick up a catless bellmouth one when you put the EWG on
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I'd sell the catted pipe and pick up a catless bellmouth one when you put the EWG on
    Would make getting around in that cramped space a bit easier.

I've never heard of boost control issue swith a catted down pipe. Boost spikes can be common on any car, down pipes or not. A lot of that is in the tune.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

EWG is getting installed tomorrow. For now Im keeping the catted downpipe. Maybe ill get a catless one in the near future.
    2013 Wrx Black Hatch

Well sorry for not being good at updating this build. A good bit has changed since my last update.

EWG was installed and is sounding nasty. After the EWG i switched over to an Invidia catless downpipe and I should have done it sooner. Sounds alot better and a deeper exhaust note for sure. Also went with aDW 65c fuel pump as well as Fast Motorsports FMIC. I will upload some pictures soon.

Tuesday Im throwing it on the dyno and getting a protune to see what shes got. For the motor I think Ill be satisfied for a little while. Going to start working on Suspension and breaks over winter. Im gonna be doing air ride suspension with sway bars and endlinks. As for brakes I havent really thought too much into it yet. Id really like a nice big break setup.

I will get some new pictures up soon and I will post up the dyno sheet this week. Honestly dont know what kind of numbers to expect. Im hoping for somewhere in the 320whp range and Id be super happy. Anybody with similar setups been on the dyno?
    2013 Wrx Black Hatch

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Nice. Looking good. That first picture in the new set looks killer.

Had the car up at R/T Tuning overnight last night. Got some NGK one step colder plugs installed and got a protune on there awd dyno. Anyone in the area I highly recommend taking your car up to these guys. They know subaru's and do alot of work on them. Always atleast a handful of Subaru's hanging around up there. Overall I was shocked to see the numbers she put down. Alot higher then I expected. Its a safe tune aswell with peak boost at 18.5psi. Rev limit set to 6800rpm.

And now that Ive got solid numbers Ive gotta decide where to go from here. Not sure which direction but I think I need to do some stopping power and some suspension upgrades.
    2013 Wrx Black Hatch

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12