thebanker's 2013 WRX "Non-Build"

This is a discussion on thebanker's 2013 WRX "Non-Build" within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey clubWRX. I've been kicking around the newbie forum for a while, and now that I have my grubby mitts ...

thebanker's 2013 WRX "Non-Build"

Hey clubWRX. I've been kicking around the newbie forum for a while, and now that I have my grubby mitts on a new 2013 WRX hatchback in DGM, I'm going to start my build thread. I'm calling it a "non-build" because I plan on keeping a lot of it stock, at least while the car is covered under the warranty. However, I do plan on tweaking some things, and adding some factory parts as I can afford it.

Just pics.

- mikey

2013 WRX | DGM | GR | FACTORY STOCK

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

My first mod, replacing the stock halogens.

Now before everyone calls me a poser, or posts pics of rice bowls, know that I DID do my research on the headlight options for this car. I bought Sylvania zXe H11 halogens because a) I wanted to work with the factory recommended bulb for now, and b) I've used them before in previous cars and have had good results.

Yes, I've read danielsternlighting.com front to back, and I know that my "true useable light" may not be all that much better than the stock halogens. I do want to try the H9 conversion but I'm a little hesitant to overdrive the wiring harness. Maybe I'll get over that, at some point. Also the H9's are fairly warm, in terms of color temperature, and I really like the crisp white the zXe's provide, it reminds me of a 4300k HID.

So when they burn out, I'll try the H9 thing. Why not.

For the newbs out there, this is how you change the low beam halogen headlight bulb in the 2013 WRX.

The bulbs. Yes, they're coated blue, and yes, there is the argument that they output less light... but I'm going to take my chances. I cleaned them with alcohol and polished them with a microfiber towel to eliminate any oils that may have been on the bulb. The bulbs appeared to be an open-box return, so I didn't want to take chances with some other jackwagon's finger oil on it, ruining my halogen.

Ready for her first molestation

Simply remove the expansion screw that holds the winshield fluid filler in place.

The fluid filler flexes out of the way to allow you to unscrew the headlight sealing cap.

Once the cap is removed you can access the bulb.

A light squeeze on the plug and the halogen pops right out.

Pop the new bulb in and test it out. The left side of the picture has the stock halogen, the right side has the new Sylvania ZXE. If you squint and look hard enough, you can see that the color temperature of the new bulb is a tad cooler (i.e. less yellow) than the stock bulb on the left.

And for the other headlight, we have to move some things out of the way. Like the factory intake. Unscrewing...

And off it comes

And now there is some room to work

And install the bulb, replace the intake, button down the expansion screws, and voila!

Ok so it's really hard to see the difference but in real life the bulbs look brighter and less orange. I realize that a large part of this may be due to the optical effect of the cooler color temperature, but I don't care. I like the way they look, and now I have an extra set of factory headlights.
    - mikey

First offroad drive! Well, a dirt road but still muddy and fun!
    - mikey

First wax. Mothers Synthetic. Decent shine, not as good as one of the better brands but the application and wax-off were quite easy. Got it done in 1 hour.

- mikey