My Car - 1 year old year of hell
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My Car - 1 year old year of hell within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2012 Ice Silver 5 Door base ordered Nov. 2011 and picked up Jan 2012. Right away I knew what I ...

My Car - 1 year old year of hell

2012 Ice Silver 5 Door base ordered Nov. 2011 and picked up Jan 2012.

Right away I knew what I was going to do.

Ordered a Magnaflow catback and found a Cobb Intake w/box and AP. Installed in March and was quite happy with Stage 1.

Got the windows tinted and the tech didn't put the little triangle pieces back correctly on the rear windows. In trying to fix I broke both and had to order replacements. Found that to install them correctly, you need to have the windows down. doh!

Wanted a small drop and finally decided on Eibach Pro Kit springs. This was the first of many headaches. You see I am incredibly anal about my car. If it doesn't work 100% I get extremely frustrated. So after installing the springs i started having a knocking sound when going over bumps. I literally uninstalled and installed the front springs almost 10 times trying to find some cause. I eventually took them off for a set of Epic springs and magically the sound was gone. Sure enough the Eibach's were to blame.

During one of my many install days, I had parked in the middle of the garage and had the hatch open with the car jacked up. The garage door was closed. My girlfriend came home and opened the garage. Before I realized what was happening, the garage door arm that hangs below the rail left a nice pin stripe along the hatch right next to the subaru emblem. It about tore the rear wiper arm off too.

$500 later, as good as new but that's still $500 out of my pocked that wouldnt' have been if Eibach knew how to design springs.

A few weeks later i'm washing the car and notice a dark spot on the tow hook cover on the front bumper. I aim the sprayer at it thinking it's some dirt but the dark spot gets bigger. Sure enough, the paint is peeling off. Drive down to the dealer and they are nice enough to repaint it.

During this time, I start having issues downshifting into 4th. I take the intake and tune off and have the dealer look into it. They can't find anything wrong and are not willing to drop the tranny. (The issue is with the shift forks binding between 5th and 4th) I decide to order some Extra S tranny fluid and a kartboy shifter, bushings, and tranny mount.

Get them all installed and notice a general improvement and more pleasurable shifting experience. 5th to 4th still catches every once in awhile but is acceptable (though makes me mad every time it happens).

Now i'm getting the more power bug and want go stage 2. So I found an Agency Power catless downpipe and install that along with a grimmspeed heat shield. Great improvement and sounds even better. However, had a nasty exhaust leak and had to mess with the downpipe to catback connection a good 5 times to get it right.

Fast forward to last fall and out of no where the car starts grinding when shifting into 5th. Gets worse and worse especially when warmed up. I thought maybe the extra s was to blame and order and swap in motul gear oil (correct weight) but no dice. I finally give in and decide to take it to the dealer. So i take the downpipe, intake, tune, shifter out so I don't have any problems with the dealer and drop the car off. Now I didn't take the parts off thinking they were to blame, but so the dealer wouldn't find an excuse to void my warranty. I left the mount and bushings in place and they even questioned that. I told them they were installed to help with the downshifting issue they were already aware of.

2 weeks later they are finally done 'fixing' my car. They replaced the 5th gear synchro and shift forks. Unfortunately they put back in the tranny the crappy original fluid. I immediately start having the consistent issue downshifting from 5th to 4th again but the grinding is fixed. I put the intake and stage 1 tune back on but leave off the downpipe.

I get an itch to put HID's in and i know that everyone will tell me I should not have done a pnp kit but I did it anyway. After dealing with crappy output bulbs I finally get the kit installed and working well and take the car through a car wash. Big mistake, I now have condensation in both headlights that will not go away. I've decided as soon as it warms up to take the HID's out. I'll try to dry them out but may order darker 2011 headlights instead since I have to take off the bumper anyway. See below.

A few weeks ago there was a large heavy wet snow that came through. Temps dropped shortly afterwards so that wet snow turned to ice. Unfortunately one day I hit one of these chunks of ice on the road that could not be avoided. I thought I did no damage but I later find that I cracked the front bumper and popped all 3 plastic pop rivets out of the pass. fender well. My plan is to have my local body shop order a replacement bumper and paint it and repaint the tow hook cover (the work my dealer did didn't match the original paint) and I'll take off the old and put on the new bumper myself. During this, I might as well swap the headlights to 2011 black ones as I have no desire to tear apart my chrome ones and try to repaint them.

I have owned cars now for 15 years and have never had this many issues with a car in the span of a year whether my fault or not. I don't know if this car is just bad luck or this is all random stuff and once i get it worked out all will be fine. But I'm seriously considering putting it back to stock, fixing the bumper and trading it in.

Let me also add how many rattles I've had to track down and try and fix. I've had the rear hatch plastic interior off and padded with foam tape atleast 5 times and the a-pillars and dash apart almost as many. I also took off the factory boost gauge because it made nothing but noise even after being replaced 3 times. Every single bump it would chirp/rattle as the needle bounced around. I don't know how anyone else tolerates that.

Now I will add that alot of these problems were inflicted due to modding the car and of my own fault. However I am no noob when it comes to wrenching on a car and feel that I either have bad luck or am just getting crap parts that are of poor quality along with a generally poor quality car. I've just never had this many problems with a car in my life.

/end rant

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Bad luck and some accidental mistakes IMO. It sucks when the sorting takes longer than the plan itself, but you've been with it long enough to know that you'll work it all out eventually.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Hey look at the bright side, I got my 2011 wrx in October 2011. Clutch went out in January, second clutch went out in april. Replaced the 2nd clutch and the motor blew a week later. Subaru wouldn't warranty and it took me 7 months to finally get them to pay for parts and I installed the new motor/turbo my self. I understand them not waranting it due to accesport, down pipe, intake and a aftermarket clutch. I still love my subie though (for a daily/ beater) not a race car.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTION View Post
    Hey look at the bright side, I got my 2011 wrx in October 2011. Clutch went out in January, second clutch went out in april. Replaced the 2nd clutch and the motor blew a week later. Subaru wouldn't warranty and it took me 7 months to finally get them to pay for parts and I installed the new motor/turbo my self. I understand them not waranting it due to accesport, down pipe, intake and a aftermarket clutch. I still love my subie though (for a daily/ beater) not a race car.
    Wait, so your motor blue with just an intake, dp, and tune? Who's tune was it?

Accesport tune, ringlandings failed, I was in a bad mood and it burned thru 5 quarts of oil in 20 miles of pissed off driving lol.

^ So did they end up warranting anything? PM me if you don't wanna post here.

Makes me want to keep my car stock..lol

Quote Originally Posted by commbubba19 View Post
    with a generally poor quality car.
    Is that how you really feel about the car? It kind of sounds like you are trying to convince yourself to get rid of it. If you really think it's a poor quality car then follow your gut! It sounds like you're pretty soured on the car, regardless of what the causes of all these issues were.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Ya man it really sounds like most of your problems where from MODing the car , accidents and just plan bad luck! But i will do you a favor and leave my car stock and let you know how it goes a year from now!

Modding completely ruins the reliability of a car. I learned this the hard way with what is now my project/ weekend car.

Ya the most i will probably do performance wise is Nameless axleback! That wont hurt the car at all and ill here that great boxer sound better! The rest will just be cosmetic like window tint and stuff..

holy crap that's a lot of drama.

i'm running Stage 2 Protuned with a Cobb SF Intake + Box and Cobb Catted Down Pipe... no issues with reliability.

Cobb SS w/ bushings, tints, weather tech floor mats, H9 bulbs for low-beams and yellow DRL / high beams, yellow overlays on my fogs, side window deflectors, JNJ Performance (eBay) front lip, RA Mudflaps

i haven't had any issues. my potential next mod suggestions from my Tuner was a EWG and bigger TMIC or FMIC... probably a year or so down the line.
    Last edited by zax; 01-15-2013 at 07:17 AM.
    2012 WRX Premium Hatch, Stage 2
    Ice Silver Metal

^ Being you have a tuner that knows what they are doing probably helps alot! Someone like me that doesnt have a alot of experience with turbo cars or people who think they know would probably have more reliability issues with there car doing MOD's then a pro Tuner would.. That being said leaving it stock would be the ultimate safe way!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: My Car - 1 year old year of hell

Quote Originally Posted by WRXchet View Post
    holy crap that's a lot of drama.

i'm running Stage 2 Protuned with a Cobb SF Intake + Box and Cobb Catted Down Pipe... no issues with reliability.

Cobb SS w/ bushings, tints, weather tech floor mats, H9 bulbs for low-beams and yellow DRL / high beams, yellow overlays on my fogs, side window deflectors, JNJ Performance (eBay) front lip, RA Mudflaps

i haven't had any issues. my potential next mod suggestions from my Tuner was a EWG and bigger TMIC or FMIC... probably a year or so down the line.
    Sorry bud, dodging the swear filter is against forum rules. I made a small change

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast