Quote of first part of build for 2013 wrx!!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Quote of first part of build for 2013 wrx!!! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright got a quote today from Kaizen tuning for my first step in the 2013 wrx! Super excited just thought ...

Registered User xcelerated010026's Avatar

Alright got a quote today from Kaizen tuning for my first step in the 2013 wrx! Super excited just thought I'd post up the quote to see what you guys think and if any of you are running the same set up. Will be getting everything put in next month! I'm hoping for right around 300whp and want to keep it daily drive reliable.

Perrin FMIC black
    dw65 fuel pump
    dw850cc injectors
    cobb access port with custom tune
    invidia down pipe (cat less)
    invidia Q300 exhaust dual muffler dual tip stainless steel
    invidia equal length header and up pipe
    perrin short intake
    perrin inlet pipe
    grimmspeed ebc
    ams + perrin fuel rails

Grand total installed :$8,636.82

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    A lot of money for keeping the stock turbo.

I'm not familiar with their dyno (do you know what WRXs baseline at?), and I've never really heard of them in the Subaru world. Personally, I'd go with a more well-known shop, if it were me.

As for the mod list, I'd do things a little differently...
    PW TMIC instead of the Perrin FMIC
    DW fuel pump is fine
    ID1000 injectors instead of the DW850s (I'm assuming this is so you can have both pump and E85 maps?)
    Catted downpipe instead of catless (or consider EWG)
    If you have a hatch, something other than the Q300 since a lot of hatch owners complain of droning (sedan owners don't)
    Nice choice on the headers (wrapping or coating them?). I wouldn't bother with the uppipe unless going EWG
    AEM or Cobb intake (with the airbox, if you go Cobb)
    GS makes a good EBCS
    Skip the fuel rails
    Consider an aftermarket bypass valve (Forge makes a good unit that isn't too $$)

Some of that, I wouldn't even go with, if your plans were to retain the stock turbo and use pump gas.
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-07-2013 at 03:16 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Any reason for a FMIC and not a TMIC? I was under the impression FMIC were usually not necessary until the car has a larger turbo.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    A lot of money for a limited power increase.

I'm not familiar with their dyno (do you know what WRXs baseline at?), and I've never really heard of them in the Subaru world. Personally, I'd go with a more well-known shop, if it were me.
    I don't know if that's going to be the final numbers for not but i actually was recommend to them from someone on here. I've gotten three quotes them, ESP and DSG but their closing up shop and that doesn't work with my schedule. Looked around but actually haven't found the baseline wheel hp/tq. It's expensive but my first concern is something breaking so I'd rather get all the important things done and keep the car as safe to play with as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    Any reason for a FMIC and not a TMIC? I was under the impression FMIC were usually not necessary until the car has a larger turbo.
    This is my first step and i want to go bigger turbo, engine internals & clutch shortly after. I just didn't want to upgrade the tmic and have to do it again later down the road.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xcelerated010026 View Post
    This is my first step and i want to go bigger turbo, engine internals & clutch shortly after. I just didn't want to upgrade the tmic and have to do it again later down the road.
    Gotcha. I figured that was the case.
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xcelerated010026
    DSG but their closing up shop
    DSG is going out of business?!

Any ideas on what turbo you're looking at?

UNYSOC

DSG is going out of business?!

Any ideas on what turbo you're looking at?
    Yeah its on their facebook page the whole place is for sale dyno, parts, etc! When i spoke to Alex on the phone he said they could do the work but had to be before February. No idea on the turbo haven't even begun looking into it yet. My end result i want daily driver reliability with 450whp ishhh....and am hoping to be done everything within 2years.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah its on their facebook page the whole place is for sale dyno, parts, etc! When i spoke to Alex on the phone he said they could do the work but had to be before February. No idea on the turbo haven't even begun looking into it yet. My end result i want daily driver reliability with 450whp ishhh....and am hoping to be done everything within 2years.
    That's a shame. That was going to be the shop I pointed you to (had a bunch of locals go there)...

Sorry, but I wouldn't say 450whp and reliable DD in the same sentence, depending on what dyno you're on (some run asinine CFs). To me, a "reliable DD" gets 100K+ miles pretty much issue-free, and many built motors with 400+whp break before 50K. You may have a different definition, though. If you want 450whp, you're going to need a second vehicle, and save the Subaru for weekend fun.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    thats not a bad price for everything. you should easily be able to hit 300 with that
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xcelerated010026 View Post
    My end result i want daily driver reliability with 450whp ishhh...
    You probably ought to have started with an STI in the first place then. Factoring a typical 26% drivetrain loss, you're looking at north of 560bhp, which isn't unheard of in WRXs, but certainly not ones that last 100k+ miles... Even with stronger internals (and I'm thinking a built STI engine), you're squeezing about 225 horsepower PER LITER out of an engine designed to make less than half that output. Something is going to fail sooner rather than later.

Plus, the WRX transmission will explode long before your engine does, and even more worrying to me is that you haven't factored in any upgrades to handling or brakes. A 450whp WRX on factory brakes/suspension would be suicide. You need to add tires, swaybars/endlinks, better pads/brake fluids, bushings (shifter and drivetrain) at a minimum. This is part of why I recommended the STI. You've got the more durable 6-speed, Brembo brakes (I'd still get better pads/fluid), and more sophisticated suspension setup right from the factory. For $8,600, I feel like you could have gotten an STI, still had some leftover for some "go fast bits", and been most of the way toward your goal while having a vastly more balanced and useable car.

Just my $0.02.

I wouldn't say 450whp and reliable DD in the same sentence.To me, a "reliable DD" gets 100K+ miles pretty much issue-free, and many built motors with 400+whp break before 50K. You may have a different definition, though. If you want 450whp, you're going to need a second vehicle, and save the Subaru for weekend fun.
    Agreed.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    You probably ought to have started with an STI in the first place then. Factoring a typical 26% drivetrain loss, you're looking at north of 560bhp, which isn't unheard of in WRXs, but certainly not ones that last 100k+ miles... Even with stronger internals (and I'm thinking a built STI engine), you're squeezing about 225 horsepower PER LITER out of an engine designed to make less than half that output. Something is going to fail sooner rather than later.

Plus, the WRX transmission will explode long before your engine does, and even more worrying to me is that you haven't factored in any upgrades to handling or brakes. A 450whp WRX on factory brakes/suspension would be suicide. You need to add tires, swaybars/endlinks, better pads/brake fluids, bushings (shifter and drivetrain) at a minimum. This is part of why I recommended the STI. You've got the more durable 6-speed, Brembo brakes (I'd still get better pads/fluid), and more sophisticated suspension setup right from the factory. For $8,600, I feel like you could have gotten an STI, still had some leftover for some "go fast bits", and been most of the way toward your goal while having a vastly more balanced and useable car.

Just my $0.02.

Agreed.

I plan on doing coil overs and brakes this summer..sorry I didn't list that haha suspension for what i have seen it isn't that expensive $1,400 for some Tein coil overs and then sways and stuff. yeah STI would have been nice but for 10k more and higher insurance...i got a good deal on the wrx and they had it in stock. i know 450's pushing the wrx in many ways that's why i was like issshhhhh....i definitely want the car to last, i want dd reliability even though i only use it on weekends. There's no way i want a brand new car that wont make it to 100k +++ miles!
    Last edited by xcelerated010026; 01-07-2013 at 05:22 PM.

That's a shame. That was going to be the shop I pointed you to (had a bunch of locals go there)...

Sorry, but I wouldn't say 450whp and reliable DD in the same sentence, depending on what dyno you're on (some run asinine CFs). To me, a "reliable DD" gets 100K+ miles pretty much issue-free, and many built motors with 400+whp break before 50K. You may have a different definition, though. If you want 450whp, you're going to need a second vehicle, and save the Subaru for weekend fun.
    You heard anything about ESP in sterling, ma? The guy i spoke with was nice and also gave me a fair estimate...was a much shorter list.

I Support ClubWRX
    from what ive found 350 is about as much as you want to keep it reliable. im aiming for 350 in my car and for dd its quite fun. im 320 right now and will hit my goal of 350 after my next tune then once the suspension is done in the summer ill be almost done with the major mods
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Just do...
    PW tmic
    Invidia Dp catted or catless
    Aem intake
    Forge BPV
    Exhaust of your choice
    GS ebcs
    DW 65c pump
    1000cc inj
    Invidia equal length header
    Cobb AP pump and e85 tune if available
    ACT clutch
    And just have fun with it. On pump you'd be right about 300 whp give or take 10hp and 330-350 whp on e85 but a lot more torque.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast