Quote of first part of build for 2013 wrx!!! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Quote of first part of build for 2013 wrx!!! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Nice, what do you have done? 350's a good number for sure....

Registered User xcelerated010026's Avatar
    Nice, what do you have done? 350's a good number for sure.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote of first part of build for 2013 wrx!!!

Worry more about gaining torque than hp. Tq is way more fun and exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by starkall View Post
    Worry more about gaining torque than hp. Tq is way more fun and exciting.
    yeah tq for sure!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xcelerated010026
    You heard anything about ESP in sterling, ma? The guy i spoke with was nice and also gave me a fair estimate...was a much shorter list.
    I haven't. Not to say they aren't a good shop, but I've been in the Subaru game for quite a few years, and I can't say I've ever heard them mentioned.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by xcelerated010026 View Post
    i definitely want the car to last, i want dd reliability even though i only use it on weekends. There's no way i want a brand new car that wont make it to 100k +++ miles!
    You need to figure out what you want first. You can't have it all in a car like the WRX. You say you know it's pushing it.. but I guess you will find out when you break your brand new car.

I bought my 2012 brand new - if I had 8,900 more to spend out of pocket that would have brought my total price of the car up to more than base Sti range... The sti is a much better platform to start something like this.

ADVICE - SELL your WRX and go buy an sti... then build it into a monster that wont explode on you.
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoehn View Post
    You need to figure out what you want first. You can't have it all in a car like the WRX. You say you know it's pushing it.. but I guess you will find out when you break your brand new car.

I bought my 2012 brand new - if I had 8,900 more to spend out of pocket that would have brought my total price of the car up to more than base Sti range... The sti is a much better platform to start something like this.

ADVICE - SELL your WRX and go buy an sti... then build it into a monster that wont explode on you.
    Well if I wanted it all i don't even think an STI would do...I'm happy with the wrx i too think 8k in basically bolt ons is a lot! I'm going to go down and talk to the shop next week and see about all my options. I'm not looking for a full blow race car or anything even close just something fun that wont break that i use as much as possible.

I took all the badges off today...that was free!

That is a crazy amount of money and you'd be better off doing it yourself. Also Perrin FMIC piping is retarded. Also install everything yourself, you'll save a lot of money and it isn't that difficult. My WRX is the first car I've ever worked on, things go pretty smoothly.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

I Support ClubWRX
    The only thing I don't do myself is tuning. I would suggest doing the work and saving on labor if you can. Also if you do bolt ons with a good tune and get between 300 and 350 hp trust me it will be a very fun DD and should be reliable
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I hear ya, I'd be okay with the 300-350hp and gobs of torque! I knew my aspirations were high when I bought the car. I have been thing about doing the work myself...I did a lot of that with my old eclipse. Back to on the ground with jack stands....at least I have a paved driveway now.

I Support ClubWRX
    right now im 319 hp and 376 torque and its a fun ride. plus i have several more bolt ons that will help goin on in the next month
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I would definitely consider going with an external wastegate if you're going to be pushing the stock turbo to the max and possibly upgrading to a bigger turbo. Especially since you want to run a catless downpipe, an intake, and an inlet. The fact that your shop didn't recommend one is a little worrisome as these cars have been known to have boost control issues with that configuration of parts. Also, the issue will be worse in the colder, denser air seen during the winter, which I'm sure you get plenty of up north.

Are you getting any gauges? You should definitely consider some to make sure your car is running ok. Boost and oil pressure are a good start.

I'm sure you'll hit that number with your parts, especially with the equal length header and a solid pro tune. Do you know what type of dyno they have there?

IMO that is a lot of money. If you're in a hurry, don't want to do the work yourself, and have the money, then go for it. You could save quite a bit being patient, buying used, and installing yourself.

If you get a new turbo and go above 350hp you'll most likely need a built motor and if you go 400+hp/tq you will likely need to build your transmission. If you want it reliable: keep it on the stock turbo, do your maintenance, and don't beat on it when you drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Axex View Post
    I would definitely consider going with an external wastegate if you're going to be pushing the stock turbo to the max and possibly upgrading to a bigger turbo. Especially since you want to run a catless downpipe, an intake, and an inlet. The fact that your shop didn't recommend one is a little worrisome as these cars have been known to have boost control issues with that configuration of parts. Also, the issue will be worse in the colder, denser air seen during the winter, which I'm sure you get plenty of up north.

Are you getting any gauges? You should definitely consider some to make sure your car is running ok. Boost and oil pressure are a good start.

I'm sure you'll hit that number with your parts, especially with the equal length header and a solid pro tune. Do you know what type of dyno they have there?

IMO that is a lot of money. If you're in a hurry, don't want to do the work yourself, and have the money, then go for it. You could save quite a bit being patient, buying used, and installing yourself.

If you get a new turbo and go above 350hp you'll most likely need a built motor and if you go 400+hp/tq you will likely need to build your transmission. If you want it reliable: keep it on the stock turbo, do your maintenance, and don't beat on it when you drive.
    Thanks for the info and advice. After the response I've been getting here I'm thinking about changing my plans and for the foreseeable future go a much as I can and as safe as I can with the stock turbo. I have a friend that owns a local salvage yard one in NH and another and FL. I have him keeping any eye out for any STI's that might come in so I can try to get the trans and brakes!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xcelerated010026 View Post
    Thanks for the info and advice. After the response I've been getting here I'm thinking about changing my plans and for the foreseeable future go a much as I can and as safe as I can with the stock turbo. I have a friend that owns a local salvage yard one in NH and another and FL. I have him keeping any eye out for any STI's that might come in so I can try to get the trans and brakes!
    to get the trans and brakes, you have to get everything in the drivetrain. its like a 3-4k swap or so
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackwrx View Post
    to get the trans and brakes, you have to get everything in the drivetrain. its like a 3-4k swap or so
    Aren't you just full of good news today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast