2003 wrx engine swap
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2003 wrx engine swap within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2003 wrx with a blown motor does anyone know what the best a easiest way is to ...

2003 wrx engine swap

I have a 2003 wrx with a blown motor does anyone know what the best a easiest way is to go with that I would like to put an STI engine and tranny in it so any advice would be great. Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX

2003 wrx engine swap

Buy an intact wreck. Instead of swapping mechanicals from the STi to the bugeye, swap noses from the bugeye to the STi.

This saves you the hassle of swapping an entire motor, entire gearbox, and most if the driveline.

Or search "hybrid build" for the motor and forget the gearbox.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well the car is fine just needs a new motor but if I found a deal on a still motor and tranny wanted to know what would need to be done.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You can do it if you swap everything over, wiring and ECU included.

What years am I limited to. Just wondering because I've been told that after a certain year you have to completely change the differentials and everything.

zax

Re: 2003 wrx engine swap

Quote Originally Posted by jordannn1233 View Post
    What years am I limited to. Just wondering because I've been told that after a certain year you have to completely change the differentials and everything.
    Consider purchasing a full EJ205 shortblock or rebuilding the motor if the heads are in good condition. A full long block swap from the STi (ECU and harness swap required) is more trouble than it's worth IMO. As far as STi transmissions go, you will be able to utilize your stock R160 rear diff IF you use a 2006 STi transmission and a 4EAT driveshaft. You will have to deal with your half shafts. IMO if going through all this, you should consider selling the bugeye and purchasing a full STi. The price will be similar and you'll end up with a car you can actually resell.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

You're not really limited to any years, you just need to swap everything over (unless you want to do like Zach said and keep the r160, but if you're going to the trouble and cost to get the six speed then it doesn't make much sense to keep the inferior rear diff).

For the engine you will need the entire longblock, throttlebody, turbo, TMIC, both complete wiring harnesses, ECU, etc. For the transmission, I would personally go with the 07+ six speed because it has better ratios. You will need the transmission, shift linkage, clutch, flywheel, axles, driveshaft, rear diff, hubs, bearings, wheels, DCCD controller, etc.

It would be cheaper and easier to just buy a STi.. but to each their own. I'm working on my own version of a bugeye on steroids. In my case I decided AVCS wasn't worth it (the ej205 heads flow more in the first place), so I just built a hybrid motor. I'm still saving for the driveline swap, I figured it all up and I'm going to be looking at around $8,000 to get the STi transmission in there how I want it.

Thanks guys I think I'm just going to buy a used long block. Found one with 70k on it and they want 1300 for it

That's not bad.. I was going to sell my spare with 90k miles for around $1200+ shipping. (freight is like $400-$500)

Yeah it's his spare and its in NewJersey and I'm in NewYork so I wanna go look at it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.