Subaru WRX Forum banner

2011 OBP WRX STI

12K views 45 replies 10 participants last post by  Orestes85 
#1 · (Edited)
Orestes's 2011 STI

I've already got a journal spanning more than a year for my car so so I'll try to keep it as short as possible (Read: wall-o-text incoming)

Shortly after returning to the states in 2011 I was finally in the position to purchase a vehicle that I've wanted since 2004. Two days after landing in 'merica and still heavily jet lagged I went to a local dealer to discuss the vehicle I had sent them so many emails about in the prior two weeks only to find that the vehicle wasn't even scheduled to arrive at the dealership for another 2 weeks. Slightly disappointed I negotiated my trade in and deal on the car and left 4 hours later in an LGT. 4 days later I got a very excited call from my salesman informing me that the car had just arrived in a closed trailer and I could come and pick it up.

This was probably in the top 10 happiest days of my life.

I drove the car home and flashed to stage 1 on 19OCT2011 and so begins my story.

19OCT2011:
Picked up my brand new 2011 Sedan in Obsidian Black Pearl. I've got some pretty big plans for this car over the course of the next few years but I'll be taking things kinda slowly for a while since I'm pretty tapped out after the initial purchase

Driving it home was a blast - basically re-learning how to drive a standard. The clutch was a lot different than any other standard I've driven before. Its also the first manual transmission vehicle I've ever owned so I plan on making a tool out of myself for the first few months haha.

I got it home and promptly flashed it to Stage 1.

25OCT2011
Installed Cobb Adjustable Short Throw Shifter.
Installed Cobb SF Intake.

After getting the front of the car up on jack stands and locating the cam bolt hole trigger pin cable line assembly arm-a-majig and placing a hex key in there I pulled out all the stuff and ripped out the old shifter (i would SERIOUSLY recommend buying some c-clip pliers...needle nose did the trick though). Ran into 2 speed bumps. The first was the c-clip which was just being difficult. The Second was the reverse lockout assembly. I'm pretty sure whoever designed that was either a genius or a retard. Getting everything to line up correctly and then actually replacing the pin that you have to punch out to remove it is a huge pain in the ( Y ). Overall it took about 1 hour 45 minutes (being done by someone who had no idea what they were doing). I really wanted to get the downpipe installed tonight, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow. The guy is basically loaning me his garage for whenever I might need it. Really cool guy :tup:

The intake also went on. Turbo spools quicker and I feel like its got a bit more torque now...but could just be placebo. We'll see!

26OCT2011
Hit 500 miles today.
Installed the Cobb Downpipe today and took it for a little spin with the Stage 2 + SF Map. Turbo starts spooling just over 2k RPM. I was thoroughly surprised when i heard it start to whine at around 2100 or so. Install went pretty smoothly. Busted my face up on the transmission though while trying to remove the downpipe. Still have Front and Rear shifter bushings that I need to install and the Defi Red Racer boost gauge.

28OCT2011
Boost Gauge Installed. Really hated doing this. So simple...yet so aggravating.

30OCT2011
1000 Miles! Drove to Asheville, NC for Moogfest this weekend. Had a great time in downtown Asheville but most of the artists they had playing weren't really my thing.

31OCT2011
Went down to Epic Motorsports today and scheduled a tune for 0900 on 5OCT. Also having them whip up a Walbro pump and Grimspeed EBCS to throw on before we start tuning. Kinda wishing I had waited to go Stage 2 right now so I could have had a CBE/Headers on as well...but its only $150 for a retune after the initial $400 tune. Hoping for 300whp this week!:tup::tup:

05NOV2011
Protune by Robbie @ Epic Motorsports; Wasn't able to get the Walbro or EBCS done. Pump is sitting in the car right now waiting for a home.
Post with Dyno Graph

08NOV2011
Happy B-Day to me. Installed Cobb Heat Shield and Red LED Dome/Map Lights.

09NOV2011
Windows tinted 35% all around and tail smoked out. Looks mean now :D
Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com - View Single Post - GR Sedan: The Turboturtle: Phase Ω START!

12NOV2011
Went to Southeast Faceoff. Met some cool guys and learned some good stuff.

13NOV2011
Southeast Faceoff Day 2 @ the Fayetteville Motorsports Park. Mostly saw an asston of beastly Evos running.

20NOV2011
Installed Cobb Front and Rear Shifter bushings. Trying to diagnose a scraping/vibrating noise coming from the shifter. I'm assuming I just need to remove the STS and grease up the ball and lower shifter arm thingy really well as I probably removed a lot when installing the rear shift bushing.

10DEC2011
Ordered Cusco Catch Can, Iridium Plugs, and a GS EBCS. Going to install them when I get back home from christmas on the 1st.

1JAN2012
Motor blew while driving home from vacation while using Mobil 1 :( Suspecting a ringland failure due to thick exhaust smoke and white smoke from the oil fill/dipstick.

3JAN2012
Confirmed that warranty work would be denied due to recent ECU reset, asked dealership to go ahead and perform a compression check while the car was there.

4JAN2012
Went to Cross Creek Subaru to pickup the car and see the results from the compression check. Dealer failed to perform the requested services and instead charged me for a diagnostic which they said "showed nothing, the codes were all cleared" after I told them not to bother because the codes would all have been cleared.

4JAN2012
Took the car to Epic Motorsports after I picked it up from the dealership. Had a compression check performed which confirmed that I had not 1, but 2 ringland failures (Cylinders 2 and 4 @70psi; 1 and 3 at 135-140psi). Requested that they get me a quote on an engine rebuild; said they'd email it to me.

4JAN2012
Took the car to Spec Ops Motorsports to check out the shop and talk with a few people about getting the motor rebuilt. Fujiwara sat down with me and we got an invoice for the rebuild right there. I was also able to talk with rek888v2 about the rebuild. Beginning AER Paperwork to have money advanced to me to pay for repairs and hopefully have the car in the shop by Friday.

6JAN2012
NSTR

24FEB2012
Car is at Spec Ops Motorsports. Motor pulled. Beginning engine build.

25FEB2012
Heads are off. Cylinder walls look good but it's unclear as to whether the piston rings caused it. Will be sending off to a separate shop for full dis-assembly of the heads and block as well as honing the bores and verifying that the heads are ok.

05MAR2012
Authorized Spec Ops Motorsports in Fayetteville, NC to purchase parts and initiate the rest of the labor involved in the building of the short block and replacing of the fuel pump and injectors.

08MAR2012
Paid invoice for motor rebuild in full

13MAR2012
All parts ordered and received by Spec Ops.

18MAR2012
Ordered an Invidia N1 Race CBE from Import Image. I've noticed a lack of actual photos/video of this exhaust on the 2011+ Sedans. As soon as the car is out of the shop and I can get this thing on I'll have plenty of photos and get some video of it on this main post.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Engine Build 1 Log:

This post will chronicle everything Post Ringland Failure with a suspense at turbo upgrade or a second engine rebuild.

18MAR2012
Motor is currently being rebuilt by Spec Ops Motorsports in Fayetteville, NC. Shortblock rebuild will consist of

Honed Block
Check Tolerances
CP 99.5mm 9.0:1 Pistons
Element Tuning Rods
ACL Race Main & Rod Bearings
ARP Head Studs
Gates Racing Timing Belt Kit
Master Gasket Kit
Deatschwerks DW65c Fuel Pump
Deatschwerks 850cc Fuel Injectors

Block is currently at the machine shop for honing/tolerances/reassembly.

14APR2012
Motor reassembled. Awaiting break-in with a projected finish date of 10MAY2012

2MAY2012
Motor is completed. Break in miles complete. Awaiting some welding work to be done and the final tune will be made as soon as the exhaust is on the car.

10MAY2012
Final tune complete. 340whp/350wtq. Dyno graph will be uploaded and linked to shortly.

20MAY2012
Rear main seal blown. Back in the shop to figure out how it happened. Should be covered and I won't have to pay anything.

31MAY2012
Closing in on deployment time. Coming up with a final plan for what work I'll be having done while I'm gone so I can come back to a fresh car that's hot, fresh, and ready for the HPDE and Auto-x season next year. Really looking forward to getting in some seat time to improve my driving skills. I'm considering taking some money I've saved up and going to one of the 3-4 day schools.

17JUL2012
Invoicing a set of EL Headers (Either Killer B or Invidia), Killer B Oil Pan, and a Killer B Oil pickup. Expect to see some RCE Tarmac 2s in the very near future as well :naughty: Still planning on the ETS rotated 3076 kit unless someone can prove to me that the 3576 would be a better choice for HPDE/autocross.

28JUL2012
Ordered Killer-B Oil Pan, pickup, and baffle

31AUG2012
Finished payment for parts and labor for Invidia EL headers, Crawford FMIC AOS, Girodisc slotted rotors, SS Braid Brake Lines, and whiteline rear dif & subframe bushings.

1NOV2012
Also got word today that the heads are back from porting/polishing and are sadly waiting on the previously mentioned cams.

List of stuff waiting to go on the car or what we're currently waiting on for the car:

Awaiting installation:
Invidia EL Race Headers
Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushings
Whiteline Rear Dif bushings
Crawford Air/Oil Separator
KillerBee Oil Pan
KillerBee Oil Baffle
KillerBee Oil Pickup

Car is waiting on:
GSC S2 Cams
GSC Valves
GSC Valve Springs
GSC Retainers

Ordering this week
RaceComp Engineering Tarmac 2 Coilovers (500/550)
GTWORX Camber Plates

2NOV12
Racecomp Tarmac 2s and GTWORX Camber plates ordered!

4NOV12
Sent an email to Bulletproof Automotive in CA regarding a carbon hood and a carbon rear diffuser. Also shopping around for a new set of wheels and tires :devil:

6NOV12
Ordered the Varis lip and other items from Mark @ BulletProof Automotive. -Excellent- service. I highly recommend them if you're looking for any of the Varis items.

10NOV12
ETS Rotated kit, ETS FMIC, Exedy Clutch, Tial Q BOV, Torque Solution Engine Mounts, and everything else has been ordered by Spec Ops Motorsports.

Current Plans:

Purchased
Installed/Pending Installation
Pending
Undecided

INTERIOR/EXTERIOR
VARIS Carbon Rear Diffuser
VARIS Carbon Bonnet
Varis Carbon Front Spoiler
Varis Carbon Side Underboards
Varis Carbon Side Splitter Fin
Varis Carbon Heatshields

Phase 1: COMPLETED
Cobb AccessPORT
Cobb Downpipe
Cobb SF Intake
Kartboy Endlinks
RCE Front and Rear Sway Bars
Cobb Front/Rear Shifter Bushings
Cobb Short Throw Shifter
Invidia N1 Race CBE

Phase 2: COMPLETED
NGK One Step Colder Plugs
CP 9.0:1 Pistons
ACL Race Main Bearings
ACL Race Rod Bearings
ARP Head Studs
Element Tuning H Beam Connecting Rods
Gates Racing Timing Belt
Deatschwerks 850cc Injectors
DW65C
Hallman MBC

Phase 2.5: COMPLETED
RCE Tarmac IIs
GT Worx Camber Plates
Rear Dif. Bushings
Subframe Bushings
Killer B Oil Pan
Killer B Oil Pickup
Killer B Oil Baffle

Phase 3: COMPLETED
Girodisc Rotors
Invidia EL Headers
Crawford AOS
StopTech Stainless Brake Lines
TGV Delete

Phase Ω:
Torque Solution Engine Mounts
Torque Solutions Transmission Mount
Torque Solutions Pitch Stop Mount
Cusco Lateral Links
Exedy TriplePlate Clutch
ETS Rotated 3576 w/ Tial V-band Hotside
ETS FMIC
Tial Q BOV
Aeromotive Fuel System
GSC S2 Cams
GSC Valvetrain
Build/Ported Heads
TE37SL Black Edition

#4 · (Edited)
#6 ·
There are a couple meets that go down. They've all started up relatively recently though and I've been deployed since June so I missed all of them. There's two FB groups for them though. They are:

"Fayetteville Subies" -> https://www.facebook.com/groups/424278024278185/
"Fort Bragg Cars & Coffee" -> https://www.facebook.com/groups/424278024278185/

Cars & Coffee was started up by the guy who owns the shop I go to and someone else. They did their first meet last sat. and I think had about 60 cars show up.

I'm pretty sure your car has been spotted in the fayetteville subies page a few times. They've mentioned a Red WRX before. You got Appalachian Trail plates?

#10 ·
Hopefully I'll have pics of the car 100% completed in about a month. Really looking forward to everything coming together all at once. KillerBee oil pan, pickup, and baffle, Invidia Headers, ETS UP, rotated 3576s, ETS DP, ETS FMIC, RCE coils, wheels/tires, varis lip, diffuser, and hood, and the cams will all be put together here soon.

#11 ·
copy/pasted because lazy

GSC S2s are no longer an option. I was left with the decision of sending my heads back to HeadGames to get them re-clearanced for Kelford 272s or go with GSCs S1 cam (268). Because the GSC S1 will work with the headwork I already had done, are available right now, and won't sacrifice as much drivability I decided that they would be the wise choice. After all, this is still a DD. If/When I get another vehicle that I enjoy driving and I can put the STI strictly on track duty (with the occasional romp through town) then a more aggressive cam can be put in if I desire.

I'm also tossing around the idea of buying a thrashed motor (or a completely fine motor if the price is ok). I want to have something I can take apart and figure out how everything goes together without taking my car out of commission. In the end this will hopefully save me some money and will definitely give me some peace of mind knowing that I've got a contingency plan for when this motor decides to grenade on me.

Lastly, a new fueling setup is on it's way. I'm looking at E85 capable injectors, new fuel lines, rails, possibly 2 bigger fuel pumps, and maybe a Q16 map. Matt @ Spec Ops is going to get some ideas to me and we'll come to a decision shortly. Hopefully this beast will be ready to go by the middle of next month.

#14 ·
Final Verdict on Fueling

Aeromotive Fuel Lines, Rails, and FPR
Injector Dynamis ID1000s
(If needed) Walbro 400 Fuel Pump

Also getting a Koyo Radiator and an Omni 4 Bar Map Sensor
====

Cams are still up in the air. Whichever we can find first now though. GSC S1s or GSC S2s...whoever gets whichever in first. Honestly I don't even care at this point. As long as we get some cams in the motor and get it thrown on the rollers to see what kind of power the Turboturtle is making.

Racecomp got back with me and notified me that the coilovers are done and they are just waiting on the camberplates to be finished to ship out the whole package.

Also still waiting on all of the Varis items to be shipped out from Japan. Will have more information on that by the end of the week.

#18 · (Edited)
Soooo

Big update via photo spam:

This happened

and then this happened

Soon...

Also, say hi to Rexi, the shop dog.

and today this happened

****ty phone photo:

aaannd...

Motor will be 99.9999999% buttoned up tomorrow. We're waiting on ETS to send us the Tial Wastegate that, for whatever reason, was left out of the kit and we need to adjust the downpipe fitment since it doesn't seem to reach quite far enough down to mate to the CBE. Once those two items are finished (if I'm lucky...Friday) then she will be alive and kicking. Tomorrow we might be able to get to the coilovers and mount those super sexy TE37SL Black Editions :)

#24 ·
Preliminary tune. Pending (another) fuel system upgrade. Car started running lean at 26~psi or past 7000 so we kept it safe until we can address the issue with a buschur racing double pumper and some ID2000s

I was hoping for a little bit more but the heartbreaker wasn't having it. It maxed out at 430~ but was hitting about 12.4 AFRs on the top end.

#25 ·
Damn, beast!

You should be extracting more torque out of that though I'd think...

Love the wheels/stance.

#30 ·
Ah nice, that's what I had figured (especially with the mention of ID2000s in the works!).

Daily Driving it?

#28 ·
It is, but it doesn't matter. It's not a street racer so it doesn't need power at 3000rpm. Shifting from 2-3 or 3-4 from 7000 rpm drops the car back to 4800~ rpm and keeps the turbo in boost. However, as i mentioned earlier, the redline will eventually be at 8000-8500, which will give roughly 3000-3500 rpm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.