Noah's 09 WRX Sedan - Page 8
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

This is a discussion on Noah's 09 WRX Sedan within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I still have a boat load of parts I need to get around to installing. Cobb springs, Whiteline top hats, ...

I Support ClubWRX
    I still have a boat load of parts I need to get around to installing. Cobb springs, Whiteline top hats, and then a good amount of stuff I am working on for my senior design project. I am building an intercooler and an oil cooler. The sandwich plate is at the machine shop right now and should be done shortly. I already have the oil cooler radiator an Prosport oil pressure and temp sensors. To go with the intercooler, I got a Prosport intercooler temperature input and output sensor. I will be going to TPG Tuning outside of Pittsburgh, PA for dyno runs before and after the intercooler. I will post the graphs when I am done. It is going to be a busy spring!
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I went to switch out my winter tires and steelies for my summer set and wouldn't you know it, I sheared a wheel stud off. I used a lot PB blaster before I went to take them off, but it didn't seem to matter for that one.

The good news was that I had a brand new wheel stud with me. I was planning on replacing one on the rear that has a couple of messed up threads. After replacing the wheel stud, I got the summers on and I forgot how much more grip they have and how much stiffer the sidewalls are.

-Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    Waiting to install:

Earl's Temp-A-Cure Oil Cooler
    Prosport Oil Pressure Gauge
    Prosport Oil Temperature Gauge
    Prosport Intercooler Input/Output Dual Temperature Gauge
    SMY Clustermaker Dual Gauge Pod
    Bell Intercoolers Custom Top Mount Intercooler
    Custom Intercooler Splitter
    Custom Oil Filter Sandwich Plate
    Cobb Springs
    Koni Inserts
    Whiteline Com C Strut Mounts

I thought I would start a build thread for input and advice as well as to track what I have done. I do hope to do quite a bit more in the future. Tips and advice are more than welcome.

Engine/Performance/ Dressup:

Invidia Catted Downpipe
    SPT Catback Exhaust
    Torqued Performance Custom Stage 2 Tune
    AEM CAI
    GrimmSpeed EBCS

Wheels/Suspension/Drivetrain/Braking:

General Altimax Arctic on 16" Steelies (Winter)
    Cooper Zeon RS3-S 245/240R17
    2011 WRX Wheels - 20% Gloss Black Powder Coat (Summer)
    Subimods Delrin Front Shifter Bushings
    COBB Rear Shifter Bushing
    Rallitek 25 mm Front Sway Bar
    Rallitek 22 mm Rear Sway Bar
    Rallitek HD Front and Rear Endlinks
    Perrin Master Cylinder Brace
    Techna-Fit Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid
    Group N Transmission Mount
    Group N Crossmember Bushings
    Torque Solutions Pivot Bushings
    Perrin Subframe Lockdown Kit
    Whiteline Rear Diff Positive Power Kit Inserts
    COBB Sport Springs (Shipped)
    Koni Insert (Shipped)
    Whiteline Com 'C' Caster/Camber Adjusting Strut Mount (Shipped)

Exterior:

Rally Armor Mudflaps
    Carbon Fiber and Flat Black Badge Overlays
    Tinted Windows (Done before I bought the car; not sure the numbers)
    De-Badged Trunk
    Cleveland Parking Door Dent and Bumper Scratches

Interior:

Kartboy Delrin Shift Knob
    Carbon Fiber and Flat Black Steering Wheel Badge Overlay
    OEM Blue Floor Lights
    WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit

Maintenance:
    Shell Rotella T6
    Subaru OEM Blue Filter
    ATE Super Blue Brake Fluid
    Subaru Extra-S Gear Oil (Transmission and Rear Differential)

Want to Buy:

Engine/Performance/ Dressup:
    Process West TMIC
    DeatschWerks 65c Fuel Pump
    ID 1000 Injectors
    Forge BPV
    E85 and 93 Custom Tunes

Wheels/Suspension/Drivetrain/Braking:
    Whiteline ALK
    Perrin Pitch Stop Mount
    Is it me or from the side, it look like a Honda civic ....or camry?

I Support ClubWRX
    For a school design project I decided to do an oil cooler. The oil cooler is going to be made up of a few "purchased" parts. Those were an Earl's Oil Thermostat and Earl's Temp-A-Cure Oil Cooler. I am mounting it above the crash bar where there will be flow through the grill. I also bought Aeroquip braided stainless hose and -10 AN fittings. I really liked the Earl's thermostat since it already has 1/8 NPT ports built in. I will be running Prosport oil temperature and pressure seniors from there. The main design stuff for this project was the sandwich plate and oil filter adapter. I went under the car and did a bunch of measurements and after one prototype that didn't fit, I have this:

Those pictures also have the oil filter adapter. It is M20x1.5 tapped and then M20x1.5 externally threaded for the bottom. I will be installing everything in a couple weeks.
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

I Support ClubWRX
    For the intercooler, I will post pics once it is all done. I should be finishing it up this week. In other news, I found that I definitely have some blow by issues. There was a puddle of oil in the throttle body hose and the stock intercooler is covered in oil. I will be getting a Crawford AOS soon.
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

I Support ClubWRX
    I finally installed the springs, struts, and top hats that I ordered during the winter. I didn't want to subject them unneccesarily to a winter's worth of salt, pot holes, etc. The install wasn't terrible. It was kinda tricky to get the rear strut assembly in without a bit of help pushing down the lower control arm, but other than that, it was pretty quick. The COBB springs I think were definitely the right ones for me. They aren't excessively stiff. They are noticeably stiffer than stock, but not uncomfortable. I just drove from Ohio to California and can say they didn't wear me out. Also, the drop is perfect. I didn't think 7/8" would get rid of the wheel well gap, but it sure did. Looks alone make these springs worth it. I was able to get 2.2 degrees of camber up from with the new top hats that replaced the completely toasted OEM ones. The bearings in those were super notchy. Overall, the handling is noticeably better. The difference isn't quite as noticeable as when I did sway bars, but understeer is reduced and it really hugs the corners. I was hoping that these would get rid of the clunk I developed up front, but no dice. I am going to be investigating that today.
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx650 View Post
    I finally installed the springs, struts, and top hats that I ordered during the winter. I didn't want to subject them unneccesarily to a winter's worth of salt, pot holes, etc. The install wasn't terrible. It was kinda tricky to get the rear strut assembly in without a bit of help pushing down the lower control arm, but other than that, it was pretty quick. The COBB springs I think were definitely the right ones for me. They aren't excessively stiff. They are noticeably stiffer than stock, but not uncomfortable. I just drove from Ohio to California and can say they didn't wear me out. Also, the drop is perfect. I didn't think 7/8" would get rid of the wheel well gap, but it sure did. Looks alone make these springs worth it. I was able to get 2.2 degrees of camber up from with the new top hats that replaced the completely toasted OEM ones. The bearings in those were super notchy. Overall, the handling is noticeably better. The difference isn't quite as noticeable as when I did sway bars, but understeer is reduced and it really hugs the corners. I was hoping that these would get rid of the clunk I developed up front, but no dice. I am going to be investigating that today.
    Your wheels are frothing at the lips!

I Support ClubWRX
    I drove back home from Ohio to California. In terms of driving highlights, I had quite a few. My three favorite roads from the drive were TX 118 from Alpine, TX to I-10 in Kent, TX. Lots of great twisties and surprisingly good views:

The next one along the journey was in Arizona. It was a combo of Lake Mary Road and AZ 87. Once again, nice turns and some great views of the San Francisco Peaks and Lake Mary.

The final road was far and away the best road I went on. It was CA 33 heading north out of Ojai up to Taft in the Central Valley. This road was tight and the turns were great. It was pretty empty and it definitely showed the amount of grip the WRX has now with the wider, grippier tires and the springs, struts, and top hats. There were some really great flowers in bloom along this one.

-Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

I Support ClubWRX
    After getting a tip from LIC Motorsports in Novato, CA to check the sway bar bushings, I found the culprit of the clunk.

Bad Bushing:

Replacement:

After talking to them about the bushings, I found out I have to grease them more often.
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

I Support ClubWRX
    Update on the review for springs, struts, and top hats:

I am definitely glad I didn't go with anything stiffer than the COBB springs. Even the RCE blacks would have been too stiff for me. The one issue I have with these springs is they tend to bottom out pretty easily. I am not really sure if I can fix that by adjusting the settings on the Koni dampers, but I don't think that's the case since that is the rebound adjustment. The car with the alignment really likes to turn in and I have found the new weakness in my setup: the seat! I keep sliding off the side when I am going around hard corners. Not sure what I will do about that since I drive quite a bit and I am not sure an aftermarket seat is going to be comfortable enough. Any advice on the bottoming out and seat would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    -Noah

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678