Question about oil plug?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Question about oil plug? within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Is the oil plug a 17 mm 6 sided plug? I tried 14-21mm wrenches and it felt like it was ...

Question about oil plug?

Is the oil plug a 17 mm 6 sided plug? I tried 14-21mm wrenches and it felt like it was going to strip the plug. I think those wrenches were 12 sided metric wrenches. Oh.btw it's a 02 wrx

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I would not use a 12 sided wrench on a regular 6er bolt. Mine was a 17mm, yes. I no longer use a bolt at all; I use a Fumoto instead FYI
    QuickOilDrainValve.com

However, you have a drain valve and it's 6 sided. Use the correct wrench. If you are concerned, you can order a replacement from a dealer for very little cost.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Re: Question about oil plug?

Okay I just wanted to clear things about about size of wrench and what not. I'll be sure to buy a 6 sided wrench next time. Might buy a new drain plug too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

On a car that old, it's very likely the drain plug is corroded and no longer the size it was when new. Getting a new plug is a good idea.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I would not use a 12 sided wrench on a regular 6er bolt. Mine was a 17mm, yes. I no longer use a bolt at all; I use a Fumoto instead FYI
    QuickOilDrainValve.com

However, you have a drain valve and it's 6 sided. Use the correct wrench. If you are concerned, you can order a replacement from a dealer for very little cost.
    + 1 to above. I have one of those drain plug valves and makes oil changes super easy, fast, and clean. It also makes lab analysis sampling a breeze.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

I never really found it in myself to trust those. I've worked on cars with them on it, and the models I've played with seemed entirely too easy to open. I just don't trust it. But, I'm also young and nimble and don't have an issue using entirely too much time and energy crawling under my wrx, which is entirely too low for anyone sensible to want to deal with. But I never claimed to be sensible.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by Pylonpounder View Post
    I never really found it in myself to trust those. I've worked on cars with them on it, and the models I've played with seemed entirely too easy to open. I just don't trust it. But, I'm also young and nimble and don't have an issue using entirely too much time and energy crawling under my wrx, which is entirely too low for anyone sensible to want to deal with. But I never claimed to be sensible.
    I had the same reservation when I first installed mine (maybe I'm crazy lol ). You have to follow two mechanical steps to open them and it seems to have good safe guards against accidental opening. You can lock the valve from opening using a clip if you're really paranoid. To open the valve requires compressing a spring above a step (this part is easy) and twist which I found to require some effort. I feel that the probability of it being sheared off by a random object is a lot higher than it accidentally opening. Just searched the net and haven't seen anyone complaining of it accidentally opening.

A related thread regarding this: Fumoto Drain Plug Valve...

One thing that I love about mine is that you can slowly open the valve to prevent splashes when changing the oil. I hate having to back out the plug not knowing where the end of the thread is then all of the sudden the plug pops out and falling into the drain pan. Tons of oil come rushing out having my hand in the way. Before I know it I have oil all over my arm. Then fighting to quickly re-center the drain pan, and making a mess all over the ground.

Anyway I've had mine for 2 1/2 years running now and no issues(Obviously with anything in life your mileage may vary lol). Have grabbed a total of 6 samples and done 4 oil changes.
    Last edited by KHP; 12-11-2012 at 09:04 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

Re: Question about oil plug?

Drain valve ftw . I ran one on a truck that saw a lot of offroading and even going over brush and bottoming out I never had an issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    2013 WRX

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    QuickOilDrainValve.com

Damn wish I saw this sooner. I just bought one of the magnetic ones to get free shipping from RSD. lol Seems nice, but its aluminum, so it'll be easy to strip.... Just have to be careful. Plus think of the weight I'm saving.

I Support ClubWRX

Question about oil plug?

It's Al with a magnet on the tip?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.