floods' 2013 SWP Sedan - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on floods' 2013 SWP Sedan within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by floods I'm a bit of a black sheep, unlike most people I actually like to read. Details ...

Quote Originally Posted by floods View Post
    I'm a bit of a black sheep, unlike most people I actually like to read. Details and personality go a long way!

I'm in Dallas, been here for about 5.5 yrs and will probably be here for the next 2-5. Fort Worth and Dallas are world's apart culturally even though they're close geographically. Did you grow up in PA?
    Cool yeah I've covered most of western PA between growing up and time spent in college.

I too had a trip planned a couple weeks after I got my car so I did a lot of driving around after work to put a dent in the break in miles. I got to around 900 miles before I hit the highways to Cincinnati. I'm over 14k now and all is well. I'd say the 1000 miles is thing is a general suggestion. It can be a little give or take.

I'm pretty torn about my headlights too. I can't decide whether I want to paint them black or just keep the chrome. I think they both look good.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    The BRZ/FRS seats though...holy sex in a seat.
    Agreed. I drove both of those cars a couple weekends ago (my dad is thinking of buying one of them, so I had to go along, for ummm, moral support) and I would really like to get a set of those for my car. They felt awesome.
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoehn View Post
    I always hear people saying how they dont like the exhaust or how they like the noise of the exhaust... is it just me or can you actually hear it from inside the car? Even when I go through a tunnel in hard acceleration I have to try REALLY hard to hear the exhaust... all I hear is the engine - turbo - and intake rev up
    Under hard acceleration I can't hear it, but at low RPM I think it sounds really good. Even in the Honda days I didn't like loud exhausts under acceleration, it draws all kinds of unwanted attention from racers as well as police. With the WRX all I hear is bliss. Turbo and engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I hate my STI seats...very little bolster. The BRZ/FRS seats though...holy sex in a seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by djk5077 View Post
    Agreed. I drove both of those cars a couple weekends ago (my dad is thinking of buying one of them, so I had to go along, for ummm, moral support) and I would really like to get a set of those for my car. They felt awesome.
    BRZ is like a Miata +1. I love Miatas, I don't care if I take a hit to my manhood (or sexuality). Seriously, a BRZ is just a glorified hard top Miata.

Has anyone put BRZ/FRS seats in a WRX yet? I'm curious if they fit... the best option right now seems to be Evo X seats.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan

Well, I went on a mini-roadtrip for Christmas to see some family.

Went down to San Antonio and got to see the new COTA track from the bypass... that uphill looks epic! I did a bunch of work for the race through the client I work for but wasn't able to guilt them into giving me any tickets for all of the abuse.

Also met a Su-bro driving a nice DGM sedan at the gas station as I was leaving to come back. There's this weird brotherhood among WRX people... It different than a lot of the other cult- uh, I mean, "cultures" that other cars draw. Anyway, not sure if he's on here, but hi if you are, it was good talking with you.

It was weird, because I had a WRB 2011+ sedan come up and cruise with me for a couple miles coming back from downtown this evening too... Looked really nice!

Got over 1k as I arrived in Georgetown, so I finally got a chance to run the WRX up through the gears. It feels pretty good, really feels like the power comes on quickly and then tapers off, but before you know it you're doing 90. The AWD is awesome, I drove around with a friend this evening while it was wet and the car felt like it was on rails. I had to roll the throttle hard coming out of a tight corner to break the rear loose, and even then it felt very neutral at the limit.

Learned a couple new things:
    • The seats still suck
    • My seating position is like a grandma, apparently
    • You can get 26+ on the highway if you stay around 70
    • Everyone who rides in a WRX really, really likes it
    • Free car washes at Sewell are awesome, I'm totally going to abuse it

I have everything I need to paint my headlights, I just need to do it. I'm also about to order my AR2, so that'll be coming pretty soon. I'll need to learn to solder (only done it once), which should be fun. After that will be a Cobb knob+STS+bushings. \o/
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan

With the WRX all I hear is bliss.

BRZ is like a Miata +1. I love Miatas, I don't care if I take a hit to my manhood (or sexuality). Seriously, a BRZ is just a glorified hard top Miata.

Has anyone put BRZ/FRS seats in a WRX yet? I'm curious if they fit... the best option right now seems to be Evo X seats.
    I agree. turbo, engine, exhaust..... everything (well almost) about this car sounds great. tracking down the interior rattles can drive a person crazy.

Nothing insulting to manhood about driving a miata in my opinion. I know 3 or 4 guys who have all owned/own one. It truly is a drivers car.

I've wondered what the brz seats in the wrx would be like. Being a pretty limited production car that hasn't even been on the market for a year yet means there probably aren't a lot of parts out there unfortunately. Someone somewhere has to have crashed one up already though. I'm fairly certain my dad is going to wind up buying a brz or frs come springtime, I wonder if he'd notice if I swapped him seats?
    - Dave

2012 pbp WRX premium

Been forever since I've posted, but I'll give a little update. The WRX is a bit over 4k, I'll probably get an oil change this week. I checked my oil this morning and was a little surprised by how dark it was. The car's still very enjoyable, still sounds great, and was a great choice in terms of practicality. Something that I noticed is that the dampening feels pretty good, but the body roll through corners is what makes it feel soft. May do a set of anti-roll bars at some point in the future.

As far as mods, there have just been a few little things. I de-badged the rear, which made a huge difference in the way the car looked. Didn't take long and there's no discoloration of the paint since the car is new. I bought a Perrin shorty antenna... which I stripped the threads on when I was putting it back on after the car wash one day.

Still enjoying the AppRadio a lot, especially since I started using Waze. If you haven't used Waze you might try it out, it's crowd-sourced traffic data, so it aggregates data from all users to give you the most time-efficient routes. It's amazingly accurate in it's estimation of time that a route is going to take.

Biggest mod has been a Cobb STS. I installed it a month or to ago, and it was very notchy, very short. I liked it most of the time, but it just wasn't super smooth. It's set as short as I could get it on the bottom without rubbing where the linkage connects to the transmission, and as high as I could get it on the top end. There's a notch on the top portion and I've got it just visible. Today I finally got around to installing Cobb front shift bushings which made a huge difference. It's much more smooth now, and a ton more enjoyable. If you're going to install a STS, I'd do these both at the same time, as it'll save you from doing some things twice. I moved the heat shield to get access to the linkage, took it apart and dropped the linkage down (just pulled it out of the rear bushing but left the bushing bolted in). One little trick was lining up the front of the linkage with the bolt that goes through the bushings: I found that it was easier if I slid the bushing onto the bolt, then pressed the linkage into it. Because of the stiffness of the bushing there wasn't any flexibility when you tried to press it in from an angle. Not an issue if you remove the rear bushing, but seeing the location of one of the bolts directly above the drive shaft, I was looking for any way to do it without removing that bolt.

Overall I definitely recommend the Cobb STS and bushings, it was a great investment and I wish I had installed the front bushings sooner!
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan

Did some more little mods today. Got one of the BaysonR V-limited copies off ebay for $35 and finally got around to putting it on the car. While I had the bumper off I went ahead and removed the badge from the grill and pin striped it. Pretty happy with the way it looks other than the lights. Still trying to decide if I want to do a retrofit or just paint the housings.

Before:

After:

2013 SWP WRX Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks good! Too bad about that scrape there. I've got a couple of those. And then some.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    Looks good! Too bad about that scrape there. I've got a couple of those. And then some.
    Oh I'm quickly discovering why people gripe so much about the softness of Subaru paint. Scrapes, chips, small scratches... I'm thinking they should give you a paint touch up guide when you purchase the car. I wish I would've gotten a lip sooner, but the way that I got the scrape might've torn it off.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Oh I'm quickly discovering why people gripe so much about the softness of Subaru paint. Scrapes, chips, small scratches... I'm thinking they should give you a paint touch up guide when you purchase the car. I wish I would've gotten a lip sooner, but the way that I got the scrape might've torn it off.
    Yep. My front bumper looks like it has dandruff, I imagine it shows less on white? A couple weeks ago I spent an hour covering up all the chips with the touch-up pen. When I did one side of the bumper, you could see a big difference. When I finished both sides, it still looked like cr*p.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

looks good!

im guessing you have to have a front plate>?
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    Yep. My front bumper looks like it has dandruff, I imagine it shows less on white? A couple weeks ago I spent an hour covering up all the chips with the touch-up pen. When I did one side of the bumper, you could see a big difference. When I finished both sides, it still looked like cr*p.
    Unfortunately the plastic of the bumper is black/grey, so scratches and chips there show through. And either the metal or primer on the hood is dark, so those show through. Can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    looks good!

im guessing you have to have a front plate>?
    We do, but Texas screwed up a piece of legislation regarding the fine assessed for not having a front plate and didn't place a value on it. Unfortunately the bill didn't pass and they've since updated it to a fine of $200.

Yes, it would look a whole lot nicer without that plate, just not $200 nicer.
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan

Hey, another fellow Texan! Howdy there!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12