AEM CAI + TP SG 1

This is a discussion on AEM CAI + TP SG 1 within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Excited as I just ordered a tactrix cable and in the process of downloading RomRaider etc. Also just ordered the ...

AEM CAI + TP SG 1

Excited as I just ordered a tactrix cable and in the process of downloading RomRaider etc. Also just ordered the AEM CAI - excited to see the parts finally coming in.

Unlike when I was single and could mod at will I am coming from a modded S60R and to not have an exhaust or a modded WRX will finally be worth the wait. Nearing 7500 miles on her and not a "real" issue yet. Just the 2 normal clutch vibration feel and rough low idle when slowing down to a stop. (which both have yet to be determined a fix for)

So I have been frustrated with the stock tune on this car - very rough through the power band and the turbo doesnt seem to kick in until the higher RPMs ... I like torque so I am excited for a STG 1 tune. I am going to go with TP as I hear it is very good.

Will post some pictures of the intake install and tuning fun in the next month or so.... Since I got married I had to create a small fund and save up little by little in order to get things for the car - I am sure most the guys can relate

As far as the intake - I dont want to have a discussion on which one or why... my future goals will be intake, dp, exhaust, tmic, ebcs (boost solenoid valve), maybe a BOV... so the and hit over 300 WHP on a protune so the intake will help.

Of course along the way - bushings, mounts, goodies...etc

I love the car and cant wait to unleash the potential!
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here is a picture of the ride now - with 20% tint all around

2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires

So I installed the AEM and the TP Stage 1 last night.

First impressions on the AEM Intake:
    Stock intake was kind of a pain to take out following the AEM instructions. The bolt that holds the bottom of the intake housing down was a pain to get out as my extension was not long enough and the 10mm wrench was turning a couple mm each turn... can get frustrating. The AEM filter is HUGE! and the installation went together easily. After I had it all bolted up, the filter had disappeared and now sits in the fender well.

Then I flashed TP Stage 1. I did run into a few snags along the way but got them worked out. Just make sure you have the correct definitions in the correct locations. I also had Rom Raider up before I was using ECM Flash. I had to unplug Rom Raider and unplug the usb in order the refresh ECM Flash. Once I did that, everything worked great!

Sent the logs back to Eric, he sent another one back to me. I have not flashed the new file on , but WOW this Stage 1 is such a huge difference from stock. I have increased throttle mapping and the car feels much more responsive, the boost is higher, car pulls very smooth and I am pleased. I had my wife help me log so I could focus on the road... her reaction was "it pulls you back in your seat, like more" haha

The intake is louder at higher boost (anywhere after 0 psi) and sounds cool. That is all I noticed from the intake is that it sounds way cool and I can hear the turbo more. I am sure that with the intake added to the tune there are more gains than no intake.

Awesome stuff, I've only heard great things about Eric's tunes. I finally bought a laptop so I'll hopefully be going stg 1/2 here pretty soon too. Nice pics, that's cool the wife helped out

Also, definitely get on some bushings and a shifter if you haven't!

Have the sti short throw shifter... I have cobb bushings for it but have yet to tackle that as I see it is a PITA... maybe some weekend when I get bored. I will probably take better pictures and make a true "build" thread to document my progression...

I love the increase in power, the next step is to save for some handling upgrades like sways or strut bar along with the pitch stop mount and stiffer bushings.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mgmoehn
    I have cobb bushings for it but have yet to tackle that as I see it is a PITA... maybe some weekend when I get bored.
    I can usually do all four sets of bushings in 60-90 minutes, with beer breaks.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Re: AEM CAI + TP SG 1

Now your just showing off Matt. Don't you have work?

Glad to hear you're enjoying the car man.

Posted from a fone.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UEDan
    Now your just showing off Matt.
    It's not difficult, especially with a brand new car (no rust to deal with)...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I can usually do all four sets of bushings in 60-90 minutes, with beer breaks.
    Do you have to take off a heat shield panel or some panel to get to them? I tried looking at my last oil change and could not see them at all

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mgmoehn View Post
    Do you have to take off a heat shield panel or some panel to get to them? I tried looking at my last oil change and could not see them at all
    Yes, you have to take off a heat shield located above the midpipe to get to them.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.