Bizborky's Bag Build
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bizborky's Bag Build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey gents, This is my first Subaru and I absolutely love it! 2013 WRX sedan Dark metallic grey Im coming ...

Bizborky's Bag Build

Hey gents,

This is my first Subaru and I absolutely love it!

2013 WRX sedan Dark metallic grey
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image 5.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	109707

Im coming out of the VW scene. This is my old car:

Name:	Wash Bay 14AUG12 (3).jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	109699
    A bagged 2010 VW MK6 GTI

Anyway, that was first bagged car (Installed and did all the work myself) & I vowed to never drive static low again.

So with the new car comes a new project to bag this b*tch.
    I realize for alot of guys bagging a WRX is sacrilegious. but, I love the functionality and the ability to be low.

My intention for the build is to keep it clean combining JDM OEM+ items and a little euro cleanliness.

I kept all the management from the old car to include tank, manifold, controller, compressor etc.

So far here is the break down of what I have or have on order:

Interior:
    GRFXP.com Fat Shift Knob (Titanium Finish)
    LED White Interior Lights

Exterior:
    PIAA Arrow Star White 4250K 55W H11 Lowbeam Bulbs
    Nokya Yellow 2500k 65W 9005 DRL/Highbeam Bulbs
    Nokya Yellow 2500k 55W 9006 Fog Light Bulbs
    OEM Subaru STI Foglights w/Yellow Lamin-X Overlay Film
    Hella Horns (White) w/Subimods Bracket & Harness
    LED White License Plate Lights

Air Suspension:
    Airlift v2 air ride digital controller and manifold
    Airlift performance slam Gen 3 Front and rear air struts (On Order)
    VIAR 444C compressor w/Parker Water-Trap
    5 Gallon Steel Air Tank (Probably going to change to an aluminum tank)

Performance
    N/A (YET)

And here are some weak Cellphone pics to get the thread started...I will update with better pictures. (expect a hiatus in January till around the end of march as I will be at Ranger school)

Day I picked her up

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	109700
    First parts in the mail: Bulbs & license plate frame

Name:	image (4).jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	109706
    PIAA Plasma Ion Yellow DRL/Highbeam Bulbs installed

Name:	image (3).jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	109703
    V2 Air ride digital controller location & shift knob

Name:	image (2).jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	89.9 KB 
ID:	109705
    Last edited by Bizborky; 12-08-2012 at 03:51 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

looks great! i'm coming from a mkv which is the same chasis (for all you guys who didn't know).. hoping to purchase a '13 hatch early next year, how do you like the transition?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bizborky View Post
    but, I love the functionality
    Annnnnd here is where you'll find the point of contention with most wrx owners on this board.

But to each their own! Just want to prepare you for the inevitable.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Bizborky's Bag Build

Quote Originally Posted by kian View Post
    looks great! i'm coming from a mkv which is the same chasis (for all you guys who didn't know).. hoping to purchase a '13 hatch early next year, how do you like the transition?!
    It's great! Much more of a drivers car, not as comfortable but in a good kinda racekor way haha. But I love the motor. Sooo much more lively then the gti even with stage 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Annnnnd here is where you'll find the point of contention with most wrx owners on this board.

But to each their own! Just want to prepare you for the inevitable.
    I'm talking about functionality concerning being low and still being able to deal with normal everyday road obstacles. I understand their argument, and I agree but I don't track my car. And the spirited driving I do, do certainly doesn't push the car beyond being on bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey dude, I just found out you sold the GTI for the WRX. I currently have an MK6 and saw your build thread on vortex. I'm thinking of getting the WRX also but the hatchback. What's your initial impression of the changes? And also, if you don't mind, how much does the monthly payment change?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You do know that you will need an alignment every time you adjust your ride height, correct?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You do know that you will need an alignment every time you adjust your ride height, correct?
    Meh... Not like a serious amount of toe in/out ever hurt anything, right? Only excessive tire wear, poor steering centering, and vehicle instability.

FYI - ride height does effect toe (and camber) in our cars. Toe being much more significant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by vREx View Post
    Hey dude, I just found out you sold the GTI for the WRX. I currently have an MK6 and saw your build thread on vortex. I'm thinking of getting the WRX also but the hatchback. What's your initial impression of the changes? And also, if you don't mind, how much does the monthly payment change?
    The car isn't as luxurious as the GTI but it really isn't supposed to be. The clutch took some getting used to compared to the VW. Its a lot more sporty and "direct" feeling.
    My favorite thing is probably that you are more connected to the driving experience with the WRX. The GTI's computer and electronic systems "nerf" the fun a little.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    This isn't my first bagged car. I am aware, you set your ride height get your alignment and take it from there. The V2 digital management will ensure the ride height is 99% the same every time

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Meh... Not like a serious amount of toe in/out ever hurt anything, right? Only excessive tire wear, poor steering centering, and vehicle instability.

FYI - ride height does effect toe (and camber) in our cars. Toe being much more significant.
    It the same way with the GTI.

It the same way with the GTI.

I Support ClubWRX
    This isn't my first bagged car. I am aware, you set your ride height get your alignment and take it from there. The V2 digital management will ensure the ride height is 99% the same every time
    If you are only changing ride height to avoid road obstacles here and there, then there isn't much to worry about if they air suspension does as it claims. Its when you change the ride height for an entire season or long drive that concerns me.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

If you are only changing ride height to avoid road obstacles here and there, then there isn't much to worry about if they air suspension does as it claims. Its when you change the ride height for an entire season or long drive that concerns me.
    This is all very true. But the air ride is really just for that: Avoiding obstacles (speedbumps, harsh driveways etc.)

Like I said I had this exact set up on my GTI and there are other bagged Subaru out there. If I do raise it up for the winter, or something like that, then I will be sure to take it to get an alignment just like I would if I spun the coils up.

I Support ClubWRX
    The same question always comes to my mind when I read threads like these,"why"?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    This is all very true. But the air ride is really just for that: Avoiding obstacles (speedbumps, harsh driveways etc.)

Like I said I had this exact set up on my GTI and there are other bagged Subaru out there. If I do raise it up for the winter, or something like that, then I will be sure to take it to get an alignment just like I would if I spun the coils up.
    The band wagon is a frowned upon justification.

I'd very much caution against raising it upwards for long periods of time given your justification. These cars are commonly set up with very minor amounts of toe (unlike in a fwd car normally that requires more toe in to be 'stable') upfront... and raising/lowering the car is enough to point the wheels outwards. While toe out may feel good for a rwd car at the track (improves your turn in feel) you lose your "auto centering" steering feeling. On a track car, you are always paying attention. On a road car, you don't want to lose that. I need to get mine re-aligned after fixing my camber bolts currently, and its quite annoying to not have that.

Same argument goes for coils. You shouldn't be spinning them up. You should spin them up/down to get your ideal ride height (governed by the suspension geometry - not looks ideally... but that's forgivable) and leave them there. The benefits are numerous as it seems you are aware.

It's just sorta silly to see people changing the suspension geometry of these cars so much. It defeats so much of the purpose and you are losing a lot of the character of the car. 12" wide wheels or wheels that stick out of the fender well fall into the same boat here.
    2011 STi Build Log

Hey he's done it before, so it's cool. I think he understands what he's getting in to.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast