Bizborky's Bag Build - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on Bizborky's Bag Build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by rage-wrx The same question always comes to my mind when I read threads like these," why "? ...

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    The same question always comes to my mind when I read threads like these,"why"?
    Because I can,
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    The band wagon is a frowned upon justification.

I'd very much caution against raising it upwards for long periods of time given your justification. These cars are commonly set up with very minor amounts of toe (unlike in a fwd car normally that requires more toe in to be 'stable') upfront... and raising/lowering the car is enough to point the wheels outwards. While toe out may feel good for a rwd car at the track (improves your turn in feel) you lose your "auto centering" steering feeling. On a track car, you are always paying attention. On a road car, you don't want to lose that. I need to get mine re-aligned after fixing my camber bolts currently, and its quite annoying to not have that.

Same argument goes for coils. You shouldn't be spinning them up. You should spin them up/down to get your ideal ride height (governed by the suspension geometry - not looks ideally... but that's forgivable) and leave them there. The benefits are numerous as it seems you are aware.

It's just sorta silly to see people changing the suspension geometry of these cars so much. It defeats so much of the purpose and you are losing a lot of the character of the car. 12" wide wheels or wheels that stick out of the fender well fall into the same boat here.
    I understand what you are saying...It's not my intention to drive around raising the ride on a whim going from rally car to low rider as I cruise down the highway doing 80. I have my ride height where all the alignments are in check and that's where I drive. If I do raise the car it will only be for the purpose of getting over obstacles.

What you like and do to your car and what I like and do to my car is neither here nor there. You may not like the low "stanced" look as you prefer a more track ready machine. But I do, sooooo i'm going to build it as such.

Take this build for what it is: another guy doing what he likes to his car. If you don't like it click back and check out one of the other numerous threads here featuring a build that tickles your pickle. I appreciate your input as I am new to Subarus, but please realize that your love of this hobby is no different then mine (we both love to wrench on our cars) we just have different avenue of approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Hey he's done it before, so it's cool. I think he understands what he's getting in to.
    Thanks boss, someone who isn't just trying to **** on my day.

Now on to what I accomplished with the build today:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Install 1 (1).jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	78.5 KB 
ID:	109714
    V2 Air Ride Manifold Installed

Name:	Install 1 (3).jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	97.5 KB 
ID:	109715
    Wired Up (Pay no attention to the hack electrical tape jobs, they are all being soldered soon and the wrap was just so I could gauge how much wire I needed to run)

Name:	Install 2.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	176.2 KB 
ID:	109716
    Cut the under floor foam piece to fit the manifold (Should help keep the noise down and keep it insulated when it's a little cold out)

Name:	Install 1 (2).jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	150.3 KB 
ID:	109717
    Close up

Also ran the wire through the car and into the engine bay for hook up to the battery

Thanks gents
    Last edited by Bizborky; 11-21-2012 at 01:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It is pretty cool to see something different. I don't think anyone is trying to rain on your parade or anything. And personally, I'm not a fan of the bag idea either, but as you stated, it's your car and what you enjoy, so that's cool. You're an enthusiast doing it your way.

You just have to be careful with the suspension geometry of Subarus. They are a bit more finicky when it comes down to slamming it when compared to VWs, Civics, Audi's, BMWs, and what have you. Going low can really cause issues. I've seen pics of Subaru frames completely destroyed because they are so low that the drive shafts are rubbing on trailing links and so on. So, take that for what its worth. I think stuff like that is what annoys many of us in the Subaru land...because there are a lot of those out there who will just slam the cars on their face without making sure things are done properly and safely, which not only puts themselves at risk, but others as well due to the possibility of failing parts and installs.

But enjoy your stay. I look forward to seeing the progress and the updates!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Do what you want, but that was a legit safety concern that many aren't aware of. In VWs I don't believe toe changes much as ride height changes - only camber... its not a safety concern. I could care less if you chew your tires up. I'd rather not you or anybody else get injured due to the car wondering if you look down to take a phone call or something. Also its worth noting the lower reliability. The point being that it's not just preference - there are more concerns, and it's not just a simple argument of looks vs performance.

I'm all up for doing what you want to car as long as you are informed of it. Most people don't realize how much they are screwing their new car up when they come in here struttin a bagged VW.

I'll leave your parade go, no worries.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Bizborky's Bag Build

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Do what you want, but that was a legit safety concern that many aren't aware of. In VWs I don't believe toe changes much as ride height changes - only camber... its not a safety concern. I could care less if you chew your tires up. I'd rather not you or anybody else get injured due to the car wondering if you look down to take a phone call or something. Also its worth noting the lower reliability. The point being that it's not just preference - there are more concerns, and it's not just a simple argument of looks vs performance.

I'm all up for doing what you want to car as long as you are informed of it. Most people don't realize how much they are screwing their new car up when they come in here struttin a bagged VW.

I'll leave your parade go, no worries.
    Like I said boss I appreciate your input and cautioning me on the difficulties I may face. I also appreciate your concern for my safety. I certainly didn't post here to rant about how awesome I am for owning a bagged gti. I posted to chronicle the build and to get help and advice. Which you have provided. I will keep in mind what you said. Like I said VW suffer from pretty drastic toe changes with aggressive height adjustment as well. The wrx may be just as bad or even worse...like I said I will set my ride height and that is where the adjustment will be made to the alignment to ensure safety and drivability. That height is where the car will remain 99% of the time it is in motion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In this for something different. I don't really know much about bagging a car other than its an air suspension setup so im down to learn a little off this build. I like a properly stanced car. Seen a few Subies that are good looking so far but not too many.

Also heard from a friend that Ranger school aint ****. Kill it bro.
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    It is pretty cool to see something different. I don't think anyone is trying to rain on your parade or anything. And personally, I'm not a fan of the bag idea either, but as you stated, it's your car and what you enjoy, so that's cool. You're an enthusiast doing it your way.

You just have to be careful with the suspension geometry of Subarus. They are a bit more finicky when it comes down to slamming it when compared to VWs, Civics, Audi's, BMWs, and what have you. Going low can really cause issues. I've seen pics of Subaru frames completely destroyed because they are so low that the drive shafts are rubbing on trailing links and so on. So, take that for what its worth. I think stuff like that is what annoys many of us in the Subaru land...because there are a lot of those out there who will just slam the cars on their face without making sure things are done properly and safely, which not only puts themselves at risk, but others as well due to the possibility of failing parts and installs.

But enjoy your stay. I look forward to seeing the progress and the updates!
    Good god I agree with everything Mikie says. Someone buy this man a cheesesteak!

And to the OP, glad to see two things:

1. That you aren't one of those guys that just comes in and calls everyone a hater and gets defensive because people here express concerns about certain types of suspension setups. Like Mikie said, this forum has seen too many people come on slamming their car to the ground without understanding or addressing the issues that presents, and then acting in a manner like I mentioned. So again, nice to see someone respond well to the inevitable constructive criticism!

and 2. Also nice to see someone who is clearly going to document their work well. Whether it's something I would want to do to my car or not, I always enjoy an information-heavy build thread!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Sort of curious to see how this all pans out. Can you post pics of the bags themselves? Maybe a video from outside the car showing it working? I know what they look like on lowriders and such, but never actually seen a set on a Subaru, just heard about it.

It's not really my cup of tea, but glad to see you're giving this some thought. New builds are always fun to follow.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

+1^ I would love to see the finished product and process

I Support ClubWRX
    Just one question......

Do the bags go PSSSSSSSHT?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX

Bizborky's Bag Build

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Just one question......

You must be thinking of my dope BOV...
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Good god I agree with everything Mikie says. Someone buy this man a cheesesteak!

And to the OP, glad to see two things:

1. That you aren't one of those guys that just comes in and calls everyone a hater and gets defensive because people here express concerns about certain types of suspension setups. Like Mikie said, this forum has seen too many people come on slamming their car to the ground without understanding or addressing the issues that presents, and then acting in a manner like I mentioned. So again, nice to see someone respond well to the inevitable constructive criticism!

and 2. Also nice to see someone who is clearly going to document their work well. Whether it's something I would want to do to my car or not, I always enjoy an information-heavy build thread!
    Thank you sir

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Sort of curious to see how this all pans out. Can you post pics of the bags themselves? Maybe a video from outside the car showing it working? I know what they look like on lowriders and such, but never actually seen a set on a Subaru, just heard about it.

It's not really my cup of tea, but glad to see you're giving this some thought. New builds are always fun to follow.
    08+ SUBARU IMPREZA & WRX AIR LIFT FRONT STRUTS - BAG RIDERS
    08+ SUBARU IMPREZA & WRX AIR LIFT REAR STRUTS - BAG RIDERS

Here are the links to the air struts I have on order. I have used airlift products on my old car and several of my friends have used them as well. Great quality and friendly customer service. Bagriders is the company I always go to for my air ride parts. Very knowledgeable staff and pretty much the go to for air ride suspension on the east coast.

Air Lift Performance - Bagged Subaru STi - YouTube
    Here is a promotional video from the company that makes the air struts and the management system of their bagged Subaru. A little overkill but gives you an idea

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Just one question......

Lol I will have a dump muffler installed. so no

Quote Originally Posted by SKI.WRX View Post
    +1^ I would love to see the finished product and process
    I will ensure to document in detail the build as much as possible.

Bizborky's Bag Build

Little Black Friday update Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1353710822.915838.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	71.9 KB 
ID:	109742
    Got my cool kid hella horns from subimods.
    They were on sale for Black Friday and I couldn't pass up the pre-fabricated bracket and harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    On sale? Seems like the price they always sell them at. Which is too high. The horns themselves can be bought on Amazon for $48.98.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    On sale? Seems like the price they always sell them at. Which is too high. The horns themselves can be bought on Amazon for $48.98.
    The horns themselves were only $30.99

Amazon listed them for around $45+

I realize I paid a little much for the bracket and harness as I could really build both. But ease of install and laziness prevailed.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, the harness is really easy to make. I made mine with parts I keep stocked in my toolbox. I didn't use a bracket at all for mine, but I've heard they sound better with a stiff bracket behind them.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast