Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you! - Page 9
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I don't think there will be many updates at this point, I really like the car, and my radio is ...

I don't think there will be many updates at this point, I really like the car, and my radio is barely on. Honestly, the car is just plain running good, and most days I forget it's got 300/350+, and I drive it like an old man/daddy-mobile. Just been doing basic oil and tranny fluid changes, and have just over 20k miles on the odometer. That being said, I LOVE hanging out the tail on some of our back-roads a bit when it snows. The only item that is still on the potential list is a break update, but I don't think that's actually necessary with how I drive.

I've have noticed one thing (I'll explain later in the post) that I haven't quite tracked down, but it's so sporadic that I can barely replicate it, and it's more annoying than anything.

I was talking to someone else about the build who owns an STi, and after driving the STi, I think I should have probably gotten one. With the WRX, the only negative I can think of is that the power level I'm at is really too much for the rear diff, in my opinion. I am constantly spinning the rear tires under heavy acceleration in 1st and 2nd, and sometimes even 3rd gear, so the car acts a lot like a FWD car with RWD assist. I had a MS3 with goofy HP, so I don't really like that feeling. Driving a friends comparably modified STi, and he didn't have the same issues. So, if I had to do it again, I might have left the headers & uppipe off and called it a day at TP stage 3 for the WRX, or gotten the STi for past that power level.

The only real mechanical 'issue' I've had is a very sporadic issue, which seems to come in the cold weather only, and for which I can't pin-point the problem. Basically, if I'm cruising in a gear at steady RPMS, once in a while (maybe 2 or 3% of the time, so definitely no where near the majority of the time) the car won't smash into full boost (20+ PSI) when I go full throttle, but instead sort of slowly builds to about 12 psi before holding there. Usually, the car (no matter the gear) boosts to 20+psi pretty quickly, and to 0 psi almost instantaneously. At first I thought I had a boost leak, but its so sporadic/not constant that I don't believe this could be the problem (I still cleaned and inspected the entire system to be sure, but it boosts great almost all the time, so I don't think this is the issue). I next thought it was the TC limiting torque because of wheel slip, but I can get it to replicate the issue with TC off. I don't think the non-defeatable VDC system could do this, so now, I'm a bit stumped. The EBCS seems to be working fine (I can hear it sometimes), as is the BPV from what I can tell, so I don't know. I logged a run in 4th when it happened, and it just boosted to 12.5 psi without any other noticeable issues.

I don't remember it doing this when it was warm out, and the last few weeks have been excessively cold, so I am currently thinking that one of those two (EBCS or BPV) could have frozen up/are sticking as they are in the direct cold air stream from the hood-scoop, but honestly I have no clue. I'll probably clean then out again once I get a few minutes in the garage.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

As a very new WRX owner I really enjoyed reading through your build... I learned a lot... Car looks awesome!!! I'm not far, Shrewsbury, maybe see you around this summer... Again, nice work on the build and this thread

Mike

Thanks for the reply. I'll let you know what I think when I get there as well. I came from an 08 infiniti G37s so I am eager for the HP boost, but this car is so much more fun to drive, though I cannot lie that I sometimes miss the luxury that my former car provided.

Not sure I'll do the headers yet, but you never know

So, I took out the BPV and noticed that it was sticking. I used a synthetic grease that didn't seem to like the cold (it formed little grease balls). So I cleaned out the BPV - anyone have any thoughts on the proper grease to use on the Forge BPV?

I noticed a little oil in the PW TMIC below the BPV, so I ordered the GS AOS to help with this issue. I don't like to see (what I consider) excessive amounts of oil in the intake track, and my tuner suggested the GS AOS. I'll take pictures of how the install goes (if I do it, I might just use a mechanic for this one).

If you see me around (I've never seen another WRX with the blacked out side badges and the Shark fin - much less the neon pink wheels in the winter), feel free to stop and say 'Hi'. The majority of the time I'm a pretty nice guy, and will gladly spend a few minutes shooting the breeze with a fellow enthusiast. If my wife is with me, she'll probably just roll her eyes, and if my kids are with me they'll want to climb into your 'race-car', but otherwise I can promise a pretty painless encounter.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    So, I took out the BPV and noticed that it was sticking. I used a synthetic grease that didn't seem to like the cold (it formed little grease balls). So I cleaned out the BPV - anyone have any thoughts on the proper grease to use on the Forge BPV?

I noticed a little oil in the PW TMIC below the BPV, so I ordered the GS AOS to help with this issue. I don't like to see (what I consider) excessive amounts of oil in the intake track, and my tuner suggested the GS AOS. I'll take pictures of how the install goes (if I do it, I might just use a mechanic for this one).

If you see me around (I've never seen another WRX with the blacked out side badges and the Shark fin - much less the neon pink wheels in the winter), feel free to stop and say 'Hi'. The majority of the time I'm a pretty nice guy, and will gladly spend a few minutes shooting the breeze with a fellow enthusiast. If my wife is with me, she'll probably just roll her eyes, and if my kids are with me they'll want to climb into your 'race-car', but otherwise I can promise a pretty painless encounter.
    As an FYI... My installer says the GS is a piece of crap and they recommend the Perrin or the Crawford, a bit more money but a much better piece, I was surprised that you didn't include on on your built.

No idea on the lube for the forge

I am using wicked innovation out of New Hampshire, they have been very helpful

I don't recall the installer adding any lube on my Forge and I have not had any issues so far, even in this cold spell

I went with the Perrin, it will be installed at the same time as the Process West

Wicked are great tuners! I have had long (email) conversations with Matt, and I have nothing bad to say at all.

I neurotically clean my BPV (along with my CAI filter), and I think I wiped off the proper lube in favor of the lube I used (which was lube I had for the motorcycle), which I think was the issue. My guess is the lube I used is meant for a motorcycle (and thus warm temperatures), so it's acting up in the cold. Metal on metal does that.

I don't have that much oil in the track, anyway, and no FKL, so I'm not too concerned about the oil/blow-by reducing octane. Basically, whenever I do an oil change (this one was at 20k), I remove the TMIC anyway, and clean it all out then. I might have had a 1/2-teaspoon pool just below the BPV, but it was enough to annoy me (mostly because it dripped on my tools - which then could potentially get handled by a 4-year old helper). I'm not 100% sure I'll be installing it.

I didn't really want to get an AOS, in truth. From what I can tell, every AOS has issues with 'gumming', some more than others. I don't like the Crawford because of how the hoses run and gravity interactions (this might have been amended in Version 2, I'm not sure). The install has to be really right for it to work properly. The GS is easy for me to install/uninstall, which is why I went with it - some tuners like GS AOS, some like the Crawford/Perrin. However, I'm not happy with how the perrin CAI has been performing in the summer (vs an AEM product), so I have stepped away from Perrin products a bit. The best bet looks to be a catch can - but I'm not going to be obligated to dumping out all that gunk regularly for the life of the car if I can get the AOS.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    Wicked are great tuners! I have had long (email) conversations with Matt, and I have nothing bad to say at all.

I neurotically clean my BPV (along with my CAI filter), and I think I wiped off the proper lube in favor of the lube I used (which was lube I had for the motorcycle), which I think was the issue. My guess is the lube I used is meant for a motorcycle (and thus warm temperatures), so it's acting up in the cold. Metal on metal does that.

I don't have that much oil in the track, anyway, and no FKL, so I'm not too concerned about the oil/blow-by reducing octane. Basically, whenever I do an oil change (this one was at 20k), I remove the TMIC anyway, and clean it all out then. I might have had a 1/2-teaspoon pool just below the BPV, but it was enough to annoy me (mostly because it dripped on my tools - which then could potentially get handled by a 4-year old helper). I'm not 100% sure I'll be installing it.

I didn't really want to get an AOS, in truth. From what I can tell, every AOS has issues with 'gumming', some more than others. I don't like the Crawford because of how the hoses run and gravity interactions (this might have been amended in Version 2, I'm not sure). The install has to be really right for it to work properly. The GS is easy for me to install/uninstall, which is why I went with it - some tuners like GS AOS, some like the Crawford/Perrin. However, I'm not happy with how the perrin CAI has been performing in the summer (vs an AEM product), so I have stepped away from Perrin products a bit. The best bet looks to be a catch can - but I'm not going to be obligated to dumping out all that gunk regularly for the life of the car if I can get the AOS.
    I have an oil catch can. I took that route as it is much cheaper than the AOS. Honestly, unless you are running extremely high boost, the oil resevoir doesn't fill up that quickly. I empty mine about once every 2-3 months and it is never even close being full. I am sure your might be running slightly higher boost with you mods than I am, and it sounds like you are getting a little more oil blow by, but I guess what I am getting at is that the catch can is not a pain to empty. It is a worthwhile investment (they can be had for very cheap, as I am sure you already know), and would be very beneficial to your build.

Did you ever get a new turbo blanket? I wanna do heat shield, blanket and down pipe at the same time. But not completely sold on the blanket yet..

I got a PTP blanket (not the perrin one, which fell apart on me when I uninstalled it for the uppipe install). They are a bit of a PITA to install well (at least the first time), but definitely worth it. I have a cobb heat shield as well, and it fits over the blanket really well. Together, I have a relatively cool 'hot side' of the TMIC most of the time, and the turbo heat seems to be contained pretty well.

My only real temperature issue was that the Perrin CAI was reading about 15-17* over ambient temperature while cruising (and rose really quickly when under boost), while the AEM was 10-12* and fought temperature increases a lot harder when boosting. I attribute most of that to the heat shield that comes with the AEM.

As for the catch can, I might just end up going that route. I can find no (real, repeated) reported issues with them, like I can with the GS and Crawford AOS. I expected it to be more like once a month emptying, but assuming 2-3 months (basically at oil changes for me), that would be just about the same amount of work as cleaning out the TMIC anyway.

CRAP! See what you did!? I thought I was done, and now I have to go research again.

I hate you guys. =)

Awesome car and build. I'm just getting into moding so this thread has been extremely helpful. I am curious what you are getting for fuel mileage; I realize that you don't buy this car and mod it for economy but I am currently driving my lifted Nissan Titan and it gets about 10mpg. So just about anything will be an improvement. Also your little one is absolutely adorable and props to you for keeping your word on the wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Ambrose View Post
    Awesome car and build. I'm just getting into moding so this thread has been extremely helpful. I am curious what you are getting for fuel mileage; I realize that you don't buy this car and mod it for economy but I am currently driving my lifted Nissan Titan and it gets about 10mpg. So just about anything will be an improvement. Also your little one is absolutely adorable and props to you for keeping your word on the wheels.
    I have almost the same car, no Headers/downpipe/up-pipe and am only stage one, I have averaged 23.4 since I have owned the car 9000 miles it is a 2013

I average 23-24 in the summer, and 21-22 in the winter, depending on how hard I push the car. My driving is very mixed (highway, stop and go, back roads), so I think that's an honest number. I've seen up to 30 on highway slogs with the cruise set, and below 14 on a ... ah hem ... 'spirited tank'.

What I've found is that the fuel consumption seems to be linked to how hard you are pushing the car, and not really the RPMs - which I find a little strange, and doesn't really make sense to me.

And I'm glad the build thread could help - clubwrx has a lot of friendly and knowledgeable people. I've learned quite a bit in the process of doing this build, and even though the build was never really intended to go quite as far as it did, I'm glad I did it.