Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you! - Page 8
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; does the stp drone in the hatch?...

does the stp drone in the hatch?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wish I could read that dyno sheet. What are the numbers?
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much ever bolt on.

0 drone on the highway - its basically slightly louder than stock unless you go into boost.

Dyno #s (with a conservative tune) were 325 hp and 385 tq - with 20 psi in 3rd, 22 in 5th. I think we could have pushed it further, but the clutch life concerns me at this point.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 09-07-2013 at 10:07 AM.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    0 drone on the highway - its basically slightly louder than stock unless you go into boost.

Dyno #s (with a conservative tune) were 325 hp and 385 tq - with 20 psi in 3rd, 22 in 5th. I think we could have pushed it further, but the clutch life concerns me at this point.
    is it safe to assume that your next mod will be a new clutch

also why is it limited to 5k rpms?

Oh... i might have had a discussion with my mechanic friend this morning about the cost of a new clutch and his recommendations. I'm hoping for 50k miles out of the stock one, but realistically i might do it next winter at 25k miles. Time will tell.

The limiter i speak of is the cobb AP launch control limiter. I have it set at 5k for daily driving. You know, for when i need to RACECAR through school zones and the like. Just in case. Otherwise my limiter is at 7000.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune

If you don't mind me asking, about how much did you pay each time you had TP e-tune your car when you put new parts on?

I only had TP tune the car 3 times: TP stage 2, TP stage 3, and then TP stage 3 with headers. I talked to Eric ahead of time, and we agreed on basically using his basic pricing on his website for the costing, with some minor adjustments. So IIRC, a single stage tune was $80, and a two tune combo for 2 stages was $140, so we agreed upon $200 for 3 stages of tuning (80+60+60), with a large amount of small adjustments because we didn't know how the car was going to react.

Basically, Eric/TP is great for stage 2 and TP stage 3. I think, with the headers, we're getting past the point where you can reliably tune a car over the internet (although Eric did a great job), and at that point I decided to get a pro-tune. The pro-tune was better, but the difference in power was surprisingly small - but the car does drive very differently with the different tunes.

So... ah... you know how sometimes as a father you promise something to one of you kids, and you think "they have no chance of doing this, so whatever". Yeah...

The culprit:

So, I promised my just-turned-4 year old daughter that if she completed her homework, which was to memorize an entire (relatively long) paragraph for her sunday school (well, that was the middle school homework, and I had to make the challenge tough, so as not to actually lose), I would let her pick the color of my winter rims (limited, of course, to what I could find at home depot).

Well, not only did she memorize the passage, she was the only one to memorize it, and was brought in front of the entire church... after reciting it perfectly, she threw up her hands and yelled "PINK DADDY!"...

I pretty much have no way out of this one.

So here's what was chosen as a color, and here's what I used to get the job done. There might have been a few other sam adam's involved.

And the final product:

They were really HOT PINK before I did the clear coat (enough where I was thinking I couldn't drive into a certain area of town at night safely), and you can see my test spray on the cardboard below the tires. But with the clear coat they became a bit more red/pink (the picture makes them look more red, but they have a good level of pink in them). I think this will do, and serves as a lesson to any father thinking that promising his kid something is a good idea!

And here they are on. They aren't too bad, really. I've gotten quite a few laughs from other drivers, which I find interesting because I think, to a lot of people, having dedicated winter wheels is a unique idea.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 11-25-2013 at 04:38 AM.

I installed the Group-N motor mounts this weekend.

They are worth their price, for sure. The car seems to handle better in regards to putting power to the ground (although with the winter tires and road conditions, it's hard to tell), and just about all of the remaining 'tranny slop' is gone. The noise in the car is slightly increased, but it's barely noticeable to my wife and kids.

It's a doable mod for the average wrench, and if you set aside 3-hours start to finish, you should be able to complete the job. A lift would make the job radically easier, but I did it with ramps and a jack. Also, if you have a 2013 wrx (not sure on other years), the stock motor mounts are 1-piece, so you can't reuse the nuts that aren't included in the group-n mounts because their aren't any. You have to buy 4 of the nuts that hold the metal shroud to the motor mount itself to complete the job. They are the same size as the nuts that hold your exhaust header on to the car (don't ask me how I know).

I Support ClubWRX
    THOSE WHEELS! They don't really look bad at all. It definitely looks like you're keeping it fun and not taking anything too seriously . I just installed the Group-N tranny mounts, cross member bushings, and rear diff inserts. If I remember correctly you did those too. I haven't had a chance to really push it, but it felt tightened up a lot. The engine mounts still made a noticeable difference?
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

At first I was all serious about the car, and then I realized ... it's just a car. It'll get dirty and probably break, and have one bazillion rock chips all over the front bumper. I'll have it for 5 years, and then I'll get something else, and look back on this car and remember the fun things I did with it, and not the serious ones. Plus, it gives the kids some involvement with the car, which is important since I refuse to raise a daughter who can't work on her own car.

I wouldn't say it tightened it up a lot, but the engine mounts sort of finished off the level of tightness I was looking for, if that makes sense. It feels right now. I was having a small issue when I let off and coasted where the car (typically in 2nd gear) would sort of lurch forwards and backwards as it decelerated - not hard, but noticeably, with the associated tranny whine - all of which annoyed me greatly. This was with the tranny mounts and bushings and all that done, just not the engine mounts. The engine mounts basically removed this jerkiness immediately, leveled out the whine, and just gave me a better feel while driving the car. I haven't really been able to get on the car much outside of some power slides on snowy roads, but it feels more planted somehow, and shifting is actually easier for some reason (it was getting brutal in the cold before everything got warmed up). I think that my motor was moving a bit more than the tranny as the engine mounts got older/weaker, making the tranny/motor connection less firm, and transferring load to other portions of the power train. That being said, I only have about 100 miles on them, but so far I love them.

For the price, and time involved on the install, and negatives (a little noise, perhaps a little more vibration?), I would recommend them. I'm not sure on the 2009 model year, but just get the nuts to hold the metal plates to the top of the mounts first before doing the install. I think they were $1.86 each at a local Subaru dealership.

I would have saved the time and installed these when I have my up-pipe and headers off for that install. It would have been super simple.

I Support ClubWRX
    I definitely like that. I am young and most of my friends have no idea how to do anything on a car and even if you don't do it yourself, you should know what the mechanic is telling you so you don't get swindled. I might invest in those engine mounts come spring. The stuff I did definitely took away the major clunking when you go on or off the throttle. Do you have s pitch stop mount?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

hahahahaha I just caught the story about your wheels. Dude, that's adorable...and good on you for sticking to it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    hahahahaha I just caught the story about your wheels. Dude, that's adorable...and good on you for sticking to it.
    Ditto. Love it!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

No new updates, how is the car running etc....

I have been following this and using it as a guide to my upgrade path, however I did the audio first (got carried away with a 5K job) as well as Stainless steel brake lines, upgraded pads, sway bars, end links,(front and rear) steering bushings before any HP mods. I am currently still running the stock MAP and soon will have the Forge BV/Process west intercooler/Heat Shield w Blanket.

Last will be the COBB DP and COBB CAI with the Accessport to Stage 2 probably over the summer, always wanting to hear updates