Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you! - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Mikie13 Yeah...equal length headers definitely need to be tuned for...so I hope you're on that sooner rather ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Yeah...equal length headers definitely need to be tuned for...so I hope you're on that sooner rather than later!
    Don't mean to thread jack here, but I'm interested in ELH as my next mod (whenever it may be). As far as a tune goes, I understand I'd need to install the headers and immediately go get a tune, but my question is, I was looking at tuning shops, and I saw on Precision Tuning's website, they require a decent list of 'tune ups', and 'safety checks' (if you will) before the tune, http://www.precisiontuning.com/10/pretunechecklist.pdf, my question is, getting all this done is gunna cost a few hundred (im guessing by that extensive list). Is that them saying we won't tune unless the following is done, or is that them saying, to ensure a good tune do this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

That's basically saying that all that should be done to ensure the tune will be top notch, and to ensure that you are in fact ready to get tuned...so you don't show up and waste time hunting down gremlins when you could actually be spending time on the dyno getting your tune.

Case in point: You have a newer STI...you're not gonna have really any problems with your electrical system and transmission and so on. You'll be fine.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

That's basically saying that all that should be done to ensure the tune will be top notch, and to ensure that you are in fact ready to get tuned...so you don't show up and waste time hunting down gremlins when you could actually be spending time on the dyno getting your tune.

Case in point: You have a newer STI...you're not gonna have really any problems with your electrical system and transmission and so on. You'll be fine.
    So you would suggest if a protune is done by next winter chances are ill be fine without a checklist to make sure everything okay? I mean some of the stuff like I could tell without even looking, like if something with the fuel was off I feel like the car would obviously be running wrong.

Yeah basically they want you to be sure your car is in good working mechanical order. How many miles are on it?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Yeah basically they want you to be sure your car is in good working mechanical order. How many miles are on it?
    Just hit 40k yesterday.
    40k body - 34k motor -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Mike193 View Post
    Just hit 40k yesterday.
    40k body - 34k motor -_-

Understood...have you done tranny/diff fluids yet? I'd get them done, as well as have an oil change done before the tune...and certainly fill up with the best quality gas you can get.

Understood...have you done tranny/diff fluids yet? I'd get them done, as well as have an oil change done before the tune...and certainly fill up with the best quality gas you can get.
    I had rear/front diff fluids changed, and trans fluid changed at 30k, I'm assuming the next time I should do them again is 60k? I'll certainly change my oil the night before the morning I drive down there for the tune. As far as gas goes, I fill up using a gas card, so it's to Gulf and thats where every single drop of gas thats gone into the Subaru is from. I could deff pay up for a nice tank of Exxon or one of the other 'better' brands, but will it make a difference if I'm gunna be running on Gulf fuel while I have the tune?

I'm sure Gulf would be fine. You just probably don't wanna use any garbage no-name gas just in case.

Sounds like your tranny/diff fluids will be fine. They won't need changing again til 60k.

Sweet. Looks like its time to look into some ELH's. Any suggested brands? I'm happy with my invidia DP, maybe I'll go with them again.

Great build and mod list, and sooo great to see some more fast Subies in MA!!!

Thanks! I'm hoping to see/meet some people at the WBM - right now I feel like I know 1 other guy who has a modified WRX in the area that's not some old lady who gives me a dirty look when I wave at her.

As for being fast, I haven't really rung the car out yet, to be honest (outside of runs for logging). Usually I do 2nd - 3rd gear pulls getting on the highway, and that's it - the videos show about how hard I drive the car about every day. I have a friend who wants a ride in it though (she had an old 2003? WRX - it was an automatic if that helps), and I might really get into it with her to see what it can do because I'll have an excuse to. Most of the time turbosnail and I are in 'daddy's car' mode.

And for the ELH, I was told the same thing by 3 different tuners, and it depended on your goals basically (your mileage may vary, however):

The perrin's are good for the stock turbo, but after that they tend to be too small compared to the other choices to be really effective for the dollar. There have been some issues with quality, as well (most seem to be fixed, however - I've always had good luck with perrin parts). I am still thinking about doing an EWG, so I didn't want one with an uppipe (yet). I was looking for quicker spool from the stock turbo, and probably won't go aftermarket turbo (and if I do, headers will be the least of my worries) on this car. Wrapping = loss of 5-year warrantee.

The Tomei's (and GT Specs) are a good all-around set up, including an up pipe - but it's strictly for their headers so you have to get tricky if you are going to go with an EWG. They are very nice quality though, and can be used if you upgrade your turbo and keep it in the stock location. Comes with wrap and a limited lifetime warrantee. I would have gotten these if I wanted to change the uppipe, or if I knew I didn't want an EWG. These were recommended to me by all 3 tuners (lol, I listen so well, don't I?).

Haven't seen the invidia ones, but I had an invidia uppipe that was really quite nice to look at - never installed though. I'd assume the same quality for their headers. No one recommended these to me, for some reason.

The Killer Bs are the nicest that were recommended to me, and the best thought out (to my limited fluid dynamics knowledge), but they were more $ (way better materials) - but for my use they were overkill I think. They use a v-band connection at the uppipe/header connection, instead of studs, which I think is both easier to install and works better, but that's just my opinion.
    2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune
    Best Time (on 4.21.13): 12.26 sec @ 113 mph

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    Thanks! I'm hoping to see/meet some people at the WBM - right now I feel like I know 1 other guy who has a modified WRX in the area that's not some old lady who gives me a dirty look when I wave at her.

As for being fast, I haven't really rung the car out yet, to be honest (outside of runs for logging). Usually I do 2nd - 3rd gear pulls getting on the highway, and that's it - the videos show about how hard I drive the car about every day. I have a friend who wants a ride in it though (she had an old 2003? WRX - it was an automatic if that helps), and I might really get into it with her to see what it can do because I'll have an excuse to. Most of the time turbosnail and I are in 'daddy's car' mode.

And for the ELH, I was told the same thing by 3 different tuners, and it depended on your goals basically (your mileage may vary, however):

The perrin's are good for the stock turbo, but after that they tend to be too small compared to the other choices to be really effective for the dollar. There have been some issues with quality, as well (most seem to be fixed, however - I've always had good luck with perrin parts). I am still thinking about doing an EWG, so I didn't want one with an uppipe (yet). I was looking for quicker spool from the stock turbo, and probably won't go aftermarket turbo (and if I do, headers will be the least of my worries) on this car. Wrapping = loss of 5-year warrantee.

The Tomei's (and GT Specs) are a good all-around set up, including an up pipe - but it's strictly for their headers so you have to get tricky if you are going to go with an EWG. They are very nice quality though, and can be used if you upgrade your turbo and keep it in the stock location. Comes with wrap and a limited lifetime warrantee. I would have gotten these if I wanted to change the uppipe, or if I knew I didn't want an EWG. These were recommended to me by all 3 tuners (lol, I listen so well, don't I?).

Haven't seen the invidia ones, but I had an invidia uppipe that was really quite nice to look at - never installed though. I'd assume the same quality for their headers. No one recommended these to me, for some reason.

The Killer Bs are the nicest that were recommended to me, and the best thought out (to my limited fluid dynamics knowledge), but they were more $ (way better materials) - but for my use they were overkill I think. They use a v-band connection at the uppipe/header connection, instead of studs, which I think is both easier to install and works better, but that's just my opinion.
    Thank you very much for giving some input, and im sorry for thread jacking, anyone with input I posted a thread about this topic and getting a pro-tune.

And, to get back to the important stuff (me and my car):

I wanted to see how the black side markers looked on my car, but I don't like to paint them, so I ordered replacement OEM ones using the special edition orange WRX part numbers. I installed them yesterday, and it took all of 15 minutes using a heat gun and goo gone. They were just under $60 shipped.

I'm not sure I like them with the stock wheels, but maybe they will grow on me.

2013 DGM WRX - Perrin CAI | PW TMIC | Forge BPV | Cobb DP | GS EBCS | DW 65C Pump | Perrin ELH & Uppipe | NGK One-Step Colder | Bren ProTune

I Support ClubWRX
    Paint the wheels black?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

I have my black '05 wrx winter wheels that I can try on for pictures - maybe I'll do it this weekend.

However, I did just remember that I told my daughter she can pick a new color for the wheels if she learns to read this book she loves by fall. Since she can basically read it now, in all likelihood I'll be sporting pink winter rims next winter...