Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you! - Page 4
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yeah, i got to stage 2 and was basically like "what's all the fuss about?" Sure it's fast but it's ...

Yeah, i got to stage 2 and was basically like "what's all the fuss about?" Sure it's fast but it's still very controllable. Then I went stage 3 and that seemed to be the upper limit for me with these brakes and this suspension, there are moments where I get a bit nervous with how fast it builds speed. So, given this, there won't be any more motor mods for a while. Up next is stiffening/fixing the feel of the tranny as much as possible, then I'll attack the suspension a bit.

My son (he's only 2) calls my car the hare, and mommies car the turtle... even though I think the hatch could definitely be mistaken for a turtle under the right lighting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

So, I got my daughter her first bicycle, and I let he help pick it out. This is what she chose:

Why did a 3-year old girl choose a cars bike, you might ask:

Because it's running 4 psi of boost!
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 12-13-2012 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    Yeah, i got to stage 2 and was basically like "what's all the fuss about?" Sure it's fast but it's still very controllable. Then I went stage 3 and that seemed to be the upper limit for me with these brakes and this suspension, there are moments where I get a bit nervous with how fast it builds speed. So, given this, there won't be any more motor mods for a while. Up next is stiffening/fixing the feel of the tranny as much as possible, then I'll attack the suspension a bit.

My son (he's only 2) calls my car the hare, and mommies car the turtle... even though I think the hatch could definitely be mistaken for a turtle under the right lighting.
    Lol, leave it to the young ones for imagination - turtle for the rex!! Cool

Well, always informative and glad you are moving on to address the suspenders

Will be following your very detailed and informative updates , especially those photos

Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you!

Jesse,

If you hate that bracket that badly I would be open to seeing it in person and possibly trading. Mine does not look like that.

But this bracket would take away from how awesome your blue vacuum lines are! I'd never do that to a friend. But in reality, yours looks a lot like mine, and I didn't like port 1 going towards the alt/engine bay because it was way too close and rubbing.

But in all honesty, I think I'll redo it once I attack the turbo inlet pipe, and recut some of the vac line to get it how I want it... it's just me being all ... architect-ey and annoying really.

So I installed the Subaru rear-seat-hatch-net-cargo-back-seat... thing... tonight. It involved drilling two holes into the rear interior panels (which I hate doing because you can't go back...which I think Subaru did on purpose because there's no way anyone would want to keep this thing in there car once they see it in real life.

Here's what it looks like installed:

I followed the directions exactly (even found the ridiculously small smooth portion of the interior panel you are supposed to drill). If I did it again, I'd locate my own top points to anchor the net, to make it more verticle, but it does seem to keep my small travel tool box held securely, so that's something.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It looks fine
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

It looks fine when loaded, don't get me wrong. My issue with it is the top is nice and tight (exactly like it should be), but the bottom is really saggy and not tight at all, which (when not loaded with my little tool kit) makes it look like a non-subaru aftermarket part, if that makes sense. The good thing is it is in the back of the car so I don't have to see it very often. And it does hold the tool box and flashlight I have in it very well, with no jingling, so perhaps I was a bit harsh on the fitment and design since it does seem to work really well.

I'm a cursed with being an architect, so things like fitment and design are really (overly, most would say) important to me for some strange reason. I'm always designing and (re)designing details to get them to be neat and clean.

I just got the cargo organizer box deal that folds up - its perfect for holding the small stuff. I have my micro-fiber towels in there and some car cleaner stuff I use at the spray and wash... it also holds beer and wine well too to keep them from sliding around
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    It looks fine
    That's what I thought as well

It's baggy and loose at the bottom so it can adequately hold whatever you throw at it that may be bulky! My 350z cargo net was the same way.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I guess I'm comparing it to the one I had on my old Mazda 6 hatch, which was just a lot more slick and integrated - and kept the small loose items more 'in place' than this one does (the bottom looseness allows things like my flashlight to bounce around a bit, which potentially could break it). I don't hate it, and it's growing on me a bit, but I guess I'll leave my opinion as as 'It could be better, coming directly from Subaru'.

But the good thing is other's opinions have made me think it's not as bad as I initially thought... which is good.

I Support ClubWRX
    Great thread and car. TP stage 3 is where I want to go eventually (hopefully fairly soon).
    -Noah

2009 Spark Silver Metallic Sedan - Stage 2+

Stink-Eye Mob #91

Help Me with My Build Thread : http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-sedan.html

Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you!

Awesome thread bro, I'm digging the stories about your little ones, and are giving me some great ideas for my build though I think mine will be a little more modest... But keep up the good work and keep us posted...

So, after a bit of a debate, I installed the STI transmission mount, and the Whiteline Positive shift kit (bought from Rallysportdirect.com).

The install took about 15 minutes in total, not including set up time, to install both things. It makes sense to do both at once. It can be done by anyone with basic tools, although you do need a deep 14mm and 16mm socket, if you don't have them already. The hardest part was getting the WRX tranny mount unbolted because it was so flexible it was just turning as I tried to unbolt it.

The goods: The shifts under decent acceleration are much more 'positive' and the location of the shifts themselves seem to be more stable (I had missed a couple of 3-4 shifts previously under acceleration). I have yet to really push the car, but I haven't missed a shift yet. The overall shifting feel is just better now, more firm and stable.

The bads: it's much noisier than before, particularly in 1, 2, and 4th gear. At 2500-3000 RPMs, it's a pretty significant noise in the car (I can't hear my crappy winter tires over the whining noise of the car). I'm not sure if there will be any stress on the transmission because of the mount, but the mount is basically a piece of steel with no flexibility, so I would assume there will be some level of additional wear - something to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    The goods: The shifts under decent acceleration are much more 'positive' and the location of the shifts themselves seem to be more stable (I had missed a couple of 3-4 shifts previously under acceleration). I have yet to really push the car, but I haven't missed a shift yet. The overall shifting feel is just better now, more firm and stable.

The bads: it's much noisier than before, particularly in 1, 2, and 4th gear. At 2500-3000 RPMs, it's a pretty significant noise in the car (I can't hear my crappy winter tires over the whining noise of the car). I'm not sure if there will be any stress on the transmission because of the mount, but the mount is basically a piece of steel with no flexibility, so I would assume there will be some level of additional wear - something to think about.
    I experienced the same results after installing both parts. I can't say i'm overly annoyed with the sound, but it does get quite loud at times. But, for the better shifting feeling I would say it's worth it.
    '11 WRX 5-door Premium - Satin White Pearl
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-progress.html