Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you! - Page 3
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yeah he has a 13 and is running Cobb accesport...

Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you!

Yeah he has a 13 and is running Cobb accesport

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I love your post, but I think this is my favorite bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    My 3-year old daughter loved it, and thinks the car is a Pokemon. We've named it TurboSnail. If you don't like it, you are mean and hate small children (and probably kick puppies too). Now, when we 'go fast', my daughter (and I admit, I sometime do as well) screams "TURBOSNAIL! I CHOOSE YOU!"
    I have a 6 year old daughter and she loves my STi and often "helps" me with it as well.
    Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming!

Wow... more interest than expected! Thanks for all the comments - hopefully I can keep this a bit fun. And if I can find that bracket for the rear anchor point, I'll be SO happy!

Yeah, it's a 2013 and cobb came out with the firmware for the AP for 2013s recently - hence the crazy mod frenzy that's been my life for the past 3 days.

I went to install my Grimmspeed EBCS today with the help of my daughter, but I think I got the LGT bracket, because it doesn't fit well at all with the bracket it has attached. My daughter's hopes of breaking the 300 hp barrier tonight were shattered, and she cried a little bit (I cried a little bit inside). Then I think she might have said her first swear words... which she had to learn from wrx50 because I NEVER swear... ever... so thanks Greg!

Anyway, the sales guys over at GS have been all over it, and told me they have a new bracket. I hope this isn't it (because it's a step backwards in fitment in my opinion), but they've been making sure everything is correct, and I sent them a picture. I'll update you on what they do - but I think I can just get a new bracket and remove the bolts in the BCS and reinstall the new bracket. It's my first experience with Grimmspeed (besides some gaskets), so hopefully they step up and have great customer service.

I installed the perrin CAI, and my intake temps are running 10-15 degrees above ambient temps right now, and were hovering around 75 during the 55-60 degree day when I was doing back to back to back logs. It seems decent, but man is it LOUD. I think I'll be ordering a 2nd foam filter so I can clean it and switch back and forth between them when I do oil changes. I do tend to find myself running into boost just so I can hear the spool a lot more often - it makes me giggle like a school girl. I do like that it starts to make noise at -5psi, which is my marker for 'slow down you idiot' in 5th gear on the highway (i.e. that's 74 mph).

I can't express enough how good the TP tune is now that it's revised (not that it was bad before). It's so smooth and pulls SO HARD it's crazy - it kind of shocks me this is the same car. I bounced off the rev limiter 3 times today before I realized I needed to shift into 2nd already (I was shifting by location on a road I drive every day).

And the bike: I haven't decided the price yet. KBB/nada lists it between 6500-7500 in good condition, and it's pretty much perfect (i just did oil, valves, coolant and chain/sprockets), with the header system alone being $1500, so I'll probably be shooting to get $7000 when it's all said and done - it's probably the nicest one around and I see them go for 6500-7000 pretty often. And that's only if I know it's going to a good home =). I also was considering seeing if I could straight up trade it for a GT on a couple of the forums I frequent, or some other good touring bike. I just love the triple motor so much that it's hard to walk away from it.

I'm also seriously considering NOT doing an exhaust. I don't think that I'd drop much HP at my power levels (maybe 5hp?), and I kind of like being a bit stealthy with the OEM. The additon of my black winter rims has made every single pick-up truck in the state want to race me... I can only imagine what an exhaust would do.

Re: Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you!

Tanker, thanks for the response concerning the Cobb firmware release for the 13s.

Hey tanker I had a quick question, what is this tp tune you speak of? I've had my car tuned here in Phoenix at a local shop but I'm not too thrilled with my results. Can you give me some contact info for your guy?
    2004 WRX 240WHP 239WTQ
    Stock turbo, stock injectors
    2006 350Z Sold
    1987 300ZX Turbo R.I.P

EMAIL: Eric Minehart <torquedperformance@yahoo.com>

He does very good (at least in my experience) tunes, and listens to what you want. He also is very knowledgeable about the build, and helped me select the parts I want vs the parts I needed to reach my goals (if that makes sense). I don't know if e-tuning is for everyone, but with me and my relatively simple build, it has been an awesome experience (and rather well priced).

Quote Originally Posted by chinakid245 View Post
    Hey tanker I had a quick question, what is this tp tune you speak of? I've had my car tuned here in Phoenix at a local shop but I'm not too thrilled with my results. Can you give me some contact info for your guy?
    What was wrong with your results?

Does TP even do anything under 2008s? I'm not sure...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Just checkin in here... love the build progress and your daughter's excitement!

Been following for a bit, but somehow didn't even notice you're from Mass?! We're a little ways away from each other, but definitely cool to see more wrx's on the site from my area.

Keep up the great work, but also, keep us posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    What was wrong with your results?

Does TP even do anything under 2008s? I'm not sure...
    Uh well I currently have boost managed with a GS ebcs and at wot it fluctuates dramatically at times hitting 19psi when the target is 17. Plus reboosting between shifts seems to take ages as well. Like I'll hit what seems like wastegate pressure 7-8psi fairly quickly then creep back up to 17. Strangest thing is it does hold 17-17.5 well say..80% of the time or more. So I'd like to see if I can data log and maybe see what Eric thinks and maybe have him work me up a map or two.
    2004 WRX 240WHP 239WTQ
    Stock turbo, stock injectors
    2006 350Z Sold
    1987 300ZX Turbo R.I.P

Worth a shot, but he does only seem to do work on 3rd gen cars at this point. At least as far as what is on the internet about TP. Contact him though, see if he'll help you out.

Have you expressed your concerns to the local tuner?
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I know the website is listed as 2008+, but I have no idea if he does anything older. I'd contact him and see if he'll help out. The good thing about Eric is if he can't help, or isn't comfortable , he'll come out and tell you.

I got my GS EBCS installed (apparently they do a new universal type bracket - of which I'm not a fan for a couple of minor reasons), and got my 1st revision of the perrin CAI TP stage 3 tune. The jump isn't crazy like between stages 1 and 2, but it definitely feels a bit quicker under hard acceleration. I'm boosting to 19.5 on just about every run (19.75, 19.6 and 19.5 were the 3 logs I did), and the wastegate just sounds crazy!

So, a quick review on TP stage 3 tune: honestly, I think it's a bit too much for me, but it's definitely faster. Props go to Eric again for quickly modifying an already good base tune to something really great. On a side note, we all have those points that we get a bit nervous driving a car, and for some reason, going from 18.5 psi to 20.0 psi seems like a big jump in power to me - primarily traction. I had my back-end kick out today (and I thought this was an AWD car!). I also had a tough time shifting into 4th gear under heavy acceleration, so I think for me, stage 3 is going to be it. At this point, I'm going to look at stiffening up the transmission and making the shifter feel better (I drove my wife's Mazda 3 2.5L today, and I wish I didn't, it shifts SO NICE) with some bushings and mounts. However, if you want a sneaky fast car, with very minor changes and costs associated with modifying it, this might be a good path to take.

So now port 1 goes towards the back of the car, while port 2 & 3 go towards the front. I had to use my own screw to hold it in place, but overall the install was really easy. I just don't like that I can't easily visually inspect the connections on it. Being in the front of the car I'm worried that it could get more vibration and pop loose or something. Probably completely ridiculous, but still.

Perrin intake with prefilter. I painted it black because, well, i wanted it black because I wasn't hugged enough as a child.

Speaking of that, for those dads on here: my daughter asked me "why turbosnail was sad today" on the way home. I asked her why she thought it was sad, and she said because he's crying and sighing a lot. It took me a while (and a few more questions) to figure it out - try to figure out what a 3 year old would think this... I'll give you a few seconds... She thought the car was crying when the boost built and then the wastegate was fluttering (it kinda sounds like a child who is trying not to cry but really wants to) and it was sighing when i let off the throttle and the intake makes the siiiiiiiiiishhhhh noise.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 12-08-2012 at 11:23 AM.

That is unbelievably adorable.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Quote Originally Posted by chinakid245 View Post
    Uh well I currently have boost managed with a GS ebcs and at wot it fluctuates dramatically at times hitting 19psi when the target is 17. Plus reboosting between shifts seems to take ages as well. Like I'll hit what seems like wastegate pressure 7-8psi fairly quickly then creep back up to 17. Strangest thing is it does hold 17-17.5 well say..80% of the time or more. So I'd like to see if I can data log and maybe see what Eric thinks and maybe have him work me up a map or two.
    Hmmm...that sounds more like a boost leak than a problem with a tune. I honestly don't think you need to bother with the EBCS on the stock turbo, stock injectors, and so on...but others may disagree.

Perhaps start your own thread detailing the problems and post up some logs here? We have numerous people who know tuning, and at least logging, and perhaps could help you out as well.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    That is unbelievably adorable.
    +1

Tanker is getting some rep cause he's got a daughter that's undoubtedly an awesome daddy's little girl!

Re: Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you!

Quote Originally Posted by TankerTruck View Post
    I know the website is listed as 2008+, but I have no idea if he does anything older. I'd contact him and see if he'll help out. The good thing about Eric is if he can't help, or isn't comfortable , he'll come out and tell you.

I got my GS EBCS installed (apparently they do a new universal type bracket - of which I'm not a fan for a couple of minor reasons), and got my 1st revision of the perrin CAI TP stage 3 tune. The jump isn't crazy like between stages 1 and 2, but it definitely feels a bit quicker under hard acceleration. I'm boosting to 19.5 on just about every run (19.75, 19.6 and 19.5 were the 3 logs I did), and the wastegate just sounds crazy!

So, a quick review on TP stage 3 tune: honestly, I think it's a bit too much for me, but it's definitely faster. Props go to Eric again for quickly modifying an already good base tune to something really great. On a side note, we all have those points that we get a bit nervous driving a car, and for some reason, going from 18.5 psi to 20.0 psi seems like a big jump in power to me - primarily traction. I had my back-end kick out today (and I thought this was an AWD car!). I also had a tough time shifting into 4th gear under heavy acceleration, so I think for me, stage 3 is going to be it. At this point, I'm going to look at stiffening up the transmission and making the shifter feel better (I drove my wife's Mazda 3 2.5L today, and I wish I didn't, it shifts SO NICE) with some bushings and mounts. However, if you want a sneaky fast car, with very minor changes and costs associated with modifying it, this might be a good path to take.

So now port 1 goes towards the back of the car, while port 2 & 3 go towards the front. I had to use my own screw to hold it in place, but overall the install was really easy. I just don't like that I can't easily visually inspect the connections on it. Being in the front of the car I'm worried that it could get more vibration and pop loose or something. Probably completely ridiculous, but still.

Perrin intake with prefilter. I painted it black because, well, i wanted it black because I wasn't hugged enough as a child.

Speaking of that, for those dads on here: my daughter asked me "why turbosnail was sad today" on the way home. I asked her why she thought it was sad, and she said because he's crying and sighing a lot. It took me a while (and a few more questions) to figure it out - try to figure out what a 3 year old would think this... I'll give you a few seconds... She thought the car was crying when the boost built and then the wastegate was fluttering (it kinda sounds like a child who is trying not to cry but really wants to) and it was sighing when i let off the throttle and the intake makes the siiiiiiiiiishhhhh noise.
    O.O OMG. ... You went stage3 already? Wow... What's next? And I'm digging all your mentions of your precious, being a dad of a girl and a boy myself . They insisted taking dad's car vs mom's cuv this past Sunday