Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you! - Page 2
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

This is a discussion on Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Installed the Cobb downpipe and went stage 2 today. Wasn't the worst install ever, and took about 3 hours start ...

Installed the Cobb downpipe and went stage 2 today. Wasn't the worst install ever, and took about 3 hours start to finish.

I haven't had much of a chance to actually drive the car, as it was snowing out, but what little I did get to do broke all 4 tires loose in 2nd gear, so that's probably a good thing. I plan on installing the Perrin CAI and getting a TP stage 2 tune shortly, before finishing off the engine portion of the build and getting a final tune.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 12-03-2012 at 03:45 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Fantastic build you have going on and congrats on getting the best color possible!

Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you!

Looking good Jesse! Soon you'll be in the 300 whp club and we can race through school zones at release time!

Yup, emailing Eric at TP today - I think with the turbo inlet, EBCS and exhaust I should be in the 285-300 range, which is perfectly fine for me.

I finally got to beat on it a bit Sunday night. It's definitely faster, and definitely worth the money to go stage 2. My wife, who had no idea I did anything to the car, asked me on the way to church sunday morning "Did you do something to the car? It doesn't jerk my head back when you go fast." No sexual references please - that means the car feels smoother as it goes into boost.

Update: Cobb Stage 2
    Just a little update on the performance increase in going from stock to Cobb Stage 2. Overall, the car is just SO much smoother that, at first, it didn't really feel that much faster. Then, this morning I merged onto the highway like I always do, and gave it 2/3-3/4 throttle. I was amazed how slow the rest of the traffic was travelling when I got to the top of the onramp... I'll leave it at that.

For those on the fence about stage 2, I can tell you that the cobb DP was a very simple install, and with purchasing 2 new gaskets was worth every penny.

I'm still on the fence regarding an exhaust (I kind of like being more stealthy that other WRXs around here), but part of me wants to hear the boxer rumble a bit more - especially when I get on the throttle. If anyone has the Cobb TBE exhaust for the hatch, drop me a PM (or post on here) and let me know what your thoughts are on the sound.
    Last edited by TankerTruck; 12-04-2012 at 06:50 AM.

So, I installed the TP stage 2 tune with perrin intake today, and after letting it warm up, I took my secretary for a spin to get some lunch (vietnamese pho ftw).

The turbo to intercooler pipe blew off at the flange in the first pull and thus ended my fun. I reinstalled it, but I'm not going to be getting on it again until I can get some better t-bolt clamps on the flange side of the turbo. I also ordered a replacement silicone tube from rally sport direct because I don't like the way that tube sits in the car as it is installed. I'm going to reinstall the one i have tonight with t-bolt clamps, and have at it again tomorrow. Updates on the TP stage 2 tune to follow.

...I might offer some financial advice and buy stock in hair spray in a couple of days if this keeps up...

Screw the car...more pics of the Speed3...that's the bike I want, in the beautiful pearl orange I want!

Kidding...seems like a nice build, but I'll have to go back and catch up on that
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Screw the car...more pics of the Speed3...that's the bike I want, in the beautiful pearl orange I want!
    Yep. The Speed triple is an amazing bike. Love the sound and torque of the I3... an excellent cross between a vtwin and an I4. Would have been my current bike, had the Buell not been available for about half the price. Can't argue with a 50% discount. Yet given the problems I've had, maybe I should have bought the Speed in the beginning.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Jesse, is there a 90 degree silicone hose that you can buy to replace that? Or even a 45. I believe process west had plenty of R and D on that intercooler so I wouldn't really worry about all the bends. However if you could make it shorter that would be a benefit I bet. Not sure how much of a benefit considering the hose is only a foot or two long anyway but it is something to consider.

Btw when are you going to grace me with your presence again. I'd like to have a look see in person at how far the car has come

Very awesome build you have going. I like the simplicity, and the research you've done. Pics are cool, and it's awesome that your little girl is so into it.

One thing I'd comment on is getting a Grillcraft grill for the scoop. Don't. It's been virtually proven that you can limit air flow to the TMIC by upwards of 30% because of a grill in the scoop. That can really affect the efficiency. Anyway, not really much of anything gets into the scoop anyway aside from leaves and bugs. Random people out there may get a bird or something in there, but that's so rare. If a rock ever got in there anyway, you should be more worried about it denting the hood or going through your windshield before that. The angle it'd take to go in the scoop anyway, would be minimal to pierce or damage a thick bar/plate TMIC. Think of the abuse a standard radiator takes, and that's just tube/fin design. They rarely ever puncture. In the 6+ total years I've owned turbo Subarus...the worst I ever got in my scoop was a big ole bumble bee
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Thanks for the reply guys - I figured my build, which is a very simple stage 2+ build, would be good for some people who are thinking about some minor daily driven mods, but want to try to get the same hp/tq out of the wrx that the STI gets. Hopefully it will inspire someone to do more.

The car: I'm going to order some T-Clamps today online, and change out the 4 clamps that I have on the IC with those before getting too far into boost/logging. Everything seems to be running OK right now, but I can't tell for sure because the Perrin Intake is so LOUD (wooooooshhhhhhhh - phhhhhhhhhhhhh), it's hard to listen for boost leaks. So anyway, I'll make those adjustments on the clamps, and send it back to TP for his review. The car does seem a bit 'meaner' and more willing to spool with the TP map vs the OTS cobb map - but I haven't really gotten into it for any longer than a few seconds to make sure everything was holding tight for now.

And no grille! Thanks for the info.

The speed 3: The bike is almost perfect, with about 5,700 miles. I've owned 2 so far in my life (2005 and 2009) in addition to a 2009 Triumph Tiger and 2009 Suzuki B-King and some other unmentionable bikes. It's my favorite bike hands down (the b-king is a close 2nd with looks just destroying it), particularly as I have it set up (full header & race exhaust, with 45T rear sprocket, custom tune). Sadly, I'm on the verge of selling it so I can get something that can ride 2 (particularly my wife and daughter in a couple years) - debating between a few bikes right now (Triumph Sprint GT, Duc Multi, Kawi Conc, Yamaha FJR, Honda VFR).

I installed the TP Stage 2 tune today, and there was a noticeable difference in spool and power vs the cobb tune. That being said, I actually think the Cobb tune made the power feel smoother across the entire band (i.e. it was more 'friendly', if that makes sense), but the TP tune just keeps you pushed back in your seat - the car feels a touch faster, but it definitely feels faster above 4000 RPM. It's fast enough now where my eyebrows raise a bit when I really get on the throttle. I'm boosting 18.5 psi tapering down to 14 or so (I actually run out of road first).

I also sent a few logs to Eric, and he immediately (I mean 10 minutes) sent me an updated tune with a few minor tweeks. His customer service is OUTSTANDING, and once I get my Grimmspeed EBCS figured out (they sent me the wrong bracket with the BCS), then I'll go to stage 3, and I can't wait for that.

Sadly, the motor fun is almost complete (for now), with just an exhaust and fuel pump to buy, and the EBCS, AFR gauge, and inlet to install... I guess I'll have to start thinking about other stuff now...

Wideband AFR?

And how much are you selling the Speed3 for?

Just a note on the car seats - I have 3 little rascals riding in the back seat. Their car seats have the two belts that connect to the latch base beneath the seat backs. If you feel around you'll find 2 hooks on each side of the left and right passenger sides. I'm able to connect three child seats without using the hooks in the hatch.
    '11 WRX 5-door Premium - Satin White Pearl
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-progress.html

Quote Originally Posted by GOMEZ View Post
    Just a note on the car seats - I have 3 little rascals riding in the back seat. Their car seats have the two belts that connect to the latch base beneath the seat backs. If you feel around you'll find 2 hooks on each side of the left and right passenger sides. I'm able to connect three child seats without using the hooks in the hatch.
    Good to know! I was worried about this thanks.

To the OP nice car, and great choice on bike! I had an '09 and '10. Best bikes

Re: Tanker's TurboSnail: I choose you!

To OP

Very nice car and an extremely informactive and an entertaining build thread.

I had one question: Did I read that your hatch is a 2013MY rex? I have a 2013MY sedan and was waiting for the Cobb's release of its stag2 map for the MY. Only asking since you were using the Cobb tune initially Because that would be a great news for me

Thanks