My first build - 02 bugeye stroker

This is a discussion on My first build - 02 bugeye stroker within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone. I recently spun a bearing in my 02 WRX and have weighed all the options and decided to ...

My first build - 02 bugeye stroker

Hello everyone. I recently spun a bearing in my 02 WRX and have weighed all the options and decided to go with a 2.1 stroker motor rebuild. I wanted to go this route because the logic makes sense to me, I have modest HP goals - 300 to 320hp and I figure if I over build the internals and go with a modest tune it will help the longevity of the motor. Here are all the upgrades that are going to be done:

BEFORE REBUILD:
    Invidia catted downpipe
    Invidia N1 catback
    Grimspeed boost control solenoid
    AEM cold air intake

REBUILD:
    Manley Forged Pistons 2.1 stroker
    Manley Rods
    ACL Race bearings
    New crank
    STI 11mm oil pump
    2.5L Oil cooler
    Killer Bee Oil pickup
    Timing belt and 90k maintenance parts
    Minor head clean up - replace guides- resurface valves
    TGV delete
    Blouch TD05 16GXT with 8cm inlet
    Agency Power 3" Cast Inlet
    Fast Motorsports TMIC
    Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors
    Aeromotive Fuel Pump
    Aeromotive Fuel Rails
    Agency Power Equal Length Headers with Uppipe
    STI oil pan and dipstick

The shop thats doing the work has been great. The fact that they ONLY work on Subarus was very comforting. Does anyone see anything on the list that I might have missed or I should be doing with the build?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Looks pretty solid.. only things I would change, forget about the rails (not needed at that point and you could use the $$ elsewhere), switch the FMS TMIC for something more efficient (PW or Spearco), and get a set of Perrin ELH rather than Agency Power (AP has a bad name in our community). Maybe EWG? Hybrid boost control?

I have heard of the Aeromotive pump overheating the fuel, but that may have been under special circumstances (100% duty).

Just suggestions, either way it should be a fun car.

Yeah Im hearing that about the FMS, its just a stopgap for now to see how I like the 16g. The FMS is $350 new in the box and the Process West are in the 700 range. The intercooler install is easy and can switch out myself any time.

What have you heard bad about AP? I am on a couple forums and havent seen anything bad yet, or heard negative comments from my builder.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Well, they're banned from nasioc for bad practices for one. They rip off other companies designs and pass them off as their own. They charge people for parts then never ship them out, (or ship them a much cheaper knock off part). There's a 60 page review thread on nasioc about them.. reading through it you'd be amazed that they are even still in business. Just about everything bad that could be said about a company is in there..

Vividracing.com (unregistered vendor: please read the whole thread) - Page 59 - NASIOC

Whoa, looks like Vivid is shady as hell!! Definitely wont be ordering anything from them. Time to switch up the Agency Power Headers too, I dont want anything associated with them on my car.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by puckthefackers
    Yeah Im hearing that about the FMS, its just a stopgap for now to see how I like the 16g. The FMS is $350 new in the box and the Process West are in the 700 range. The intercooler install is easy and can switch out myself any time.

What have you heard bad about AP? I am on a couple forums and havent seen anything bad yet, or heard negative comments from my builder.
    But then you'll have to pay to retune the car for the better TMIC. Honestly, if you're going to waste your time with the FMS, buy a used STI TMIC instead; it'll be better and cheaper.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Im so excited, I finally get it back this week!! I added a few more things to the list:

Killer Bee Windage tray
    Samco hoses - Ancillary, radiator, and Intercooler
    Koyo Racing radiator
    Twin Moroso Air Oil Separators

Ill post pics once everything is in, I just cant wait toget through the break in!!