Subaru WRX Forum banner

Januch09's 2011 STi Build (PTE6266)

155K views 853 replies 60 participants last post by  Januch09 
#1 · (Edited)
Januch09's 2011 STi Build (PTE6466)

Frank’s 2011 STi Limited (SWP Sedan) Build

Link to full build: Frank's 2011 STi Sedan Full Build

Hey guys just a little background. I have an 2011 STi sedan with roughly 20k miles on it. Currently on motor number 6. Not going to get into why I've been through that many motors or anything, so basically I'm starting fresh on this one.

Here's the specs:

Short Block:
Built by Prime Motoring in East Rutherford NJ
-New EJ257 Case Halves
-Darton Sleeves O-ringed
-OEM Nitraded Crankshaft
-Cosworth 99.5 / 8.2:1 CR Pistons
-Cosworth Oversized Headgasket
-Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beams w/ ARP Bolts
-King XPG Main and Rod Bearings
-Killer B Oil Pick-Up & Baffle
-11mm High Volume Oil Pump

Heads:
Built By Headgames
-Pocket Port
-O-Ringed
-Ferrea Exhaust and Intake Valves +1mm
-Ferrea Guides & Locks
-GSC Beehive Springs & Retainers
-GSC S2 (272) Camshafts
-Cosworth Head Gasket
-ARP CA625+ Headstuds
-Denso IKH24 Spark Plugs (2 steps colder)

Fueling:
-ID2000 Injectors
-DW65c Fuel Pump In Tank
-Radium Engineering Fuel Surge Tank w/ 2 walboro 485 submerged
-Vibrant -6an feed and return lines w/ vibrant fittings
-Aeromotive Fuel Regulator (red)
-Agency Power Fuel Rails (red)
-Aeromotoive inline fuel filter 6 Micron

Induction/Turbo/Cooling:
-ETS Rotated Turbo Kit
-Precision Gen2 6466 V-Band Turbo, hot side ceramic coated, compressor cover powder coated Perl White
-ETS Black Anodized FMIC 4’’ Core, 3’’ Black Piping (AIT bung and tial flange) (white powder coated clamps) (speed density)
-AEM AIT Sensor
-Tial QR BOV
-Grimmspeed Electronic Boost Controller
-Crawford FMIC Rotated AOS
-Koyo Radiator & Cap
-Samco Radiator Hoses (black)

Exhaust:
-Killer B Holy Header (ceramic coated)
-ETS Rotated Up-pipe w/ Tial 44mm EWG (red)
-ETS Catless Rotated Down-pipe
-Invidia Q300 Rolled Titanium Tips CBE (kartboy extra long exhaust hangers)

Drivetrain:
-Clutchmaster FX400 6-Puck Clutch
-Kartboy STS w/ all Bushings

Gauge Setup:
+SMY Clustermaker
-AEM Air/Fuel Ratio Wideband Gauge
-AEM Boost Gauge
+JCS 3 Gauge A-Pillar Pod
-AEM Oil Pressure Gauge
-AEM Fuel Pressure Gauge
-3rd hole closed for now but eventually ECR Gauge

Tuning:
Pro-Tuned by JR @ Prime Motoring
*Pump Gas- 450whp/420wtq
*E85- 575whp/540wtq

Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes:
-Airlift V2 Performance Air Ride Kit w/ Dual Viaar 380c Compressors, single 5 gallon tank & water traps (tank paint matched)
-Whiteline Front and Rear 24mm Adjustable Sway Bars
-Kartboy Front and Rear Endlinks
-Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings
-Whiteline Rear Dif Positive Power Kit Bushings
-Whiteline Rear Positive Traction Kit
-SBC Rear Control Arms
-18x9.5+30 Enkei Kojins (Powder Coated Copper)
-Sumitomo HTZIII 265/35/18
-Muteki SR34 Neo-Chrome Closed End Lugnuts
-Hubcentric Rings 56.1 to 76
-Stoptech Drilled & Slotted F&R Rotors
-Hawk HPS Pads
-Stoptech SS Lines
-Grimmspeed master Cylinder Brace
-Motul SP600 Brake Fluid

My PTE6266 vs. my old Blouch Dom4.0XTR

See less See more
#404 ·
Well took a ride to Rallispec today to drop off all the parts. They now have everything except the Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beams which will be shipped out tomorrow (should be there by Monday). Once they have everything Dave is going to get started on the reassembly right away and hopefully aiming for late next week/weekend for the car to be ready for break-in miles.

On the other hand, I got to see all the damage from the last blow-up.....

Here's some pics

Doesn't look soo bad...

Let's get a little closer look..

yeah it's destroyed

Other then the bad, here's a few shots of the new setup.

New block with Darton Sleeves

Freshly Done Heads

New Cosworth Pistons

New K1 Billet Crank

Agency Power Fuel Rail Kit (not really happy with the products)

#406 ·
It's a good thing you got the upper radiator hose too... it wasn't long after my radiator install that my fan took out the stock upper radiator hose :(

#408 ·
Talked to Rallispec today, Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beams and ARP CA625+ Headstuds arrived this morning.

Dave got started right away with building the block. ETA is about 3 days or so. hopefully the car is running by this weekend.

#409 ·
Talked to Rallispec today, Manley Turbo Tuff I-Beams and ARP CA625+ Headstuds arrived this morning.

Dave got started right away with building the block. ETA is about 3 days or so. hopefully the car is running by this weekend.

#413 ·
Quick question, do you have an eyebrow with your tint on your sti? if you do how did you get around the frit problem by the rear view mirror. (frit = those black dots that are on the window towards the top to act as a sun deterrent such as tint would)

#420 ·
New fuel fittings and lines ordered. ETS shipped out a bracket that was missing for the up-pipe and tuner will be sending me a break-in tune! Seems like it's coming together.....

I'm going to lose my mind if it's not done by this week.

#421 ·
New fuel fittings and lines ordered. ETS shipped out a bracket that was missing for the up-pipe and tuner will be sending me a break-in tune! Seems like it's coming together.....

I'm going to lose my mind if it's not done by this week.

#428 ·
Okay so update:

Car was running Friday. No leaks, no problems. Break-in tune needs a little adjusting so I can safely break the car in on that tune. Also found out ETS doesn't provide a bung on the down-pipe for AFR. So we are drilling a hole in the down-pipe and adding a bung so we have AFR gauge working. Other then that, that car seems to be pretty good.

Hopefully the down-pipe gets finished tomorrow and the new tune put in and I'll go pick it up and start breaking in!

The fun part begins....

#429 ·
Welp, I got the car today. Everything is good except for a couple things.

1. Small oil leak coming from the valve cover at the bottom on the passenger side. Noticed some smoke coming from the header, stuck my hand down there and whatta ya know? It's a very tiny little leak dripping onto the header. I'm thinking the gasket got folder or ripped or didn't seal properly. The car will be going back to get that fixed ASAP!

2. The turbo oil line was rubbing against the hotside of the turbo, so I'm going to metal zip-tie it away form that and put a rubber grommet around it so it doesn't cut through anything.

3. The coolant line to the Crawford AOS is a little too long and is pretty close to the turbo, so I'm going to cut about an inch or two of it and get it away from the hot turbo.

4. The fuel pump wasn't hard wired, I guess he forgot to do that. So I'll be hardwiring it when I get a chance.

5. The electronic boost controller was replaced by the manual boost controller instead of running both which is what I wanted for "hybrid" setup. So I'll be adding the GrimmSpeed EBCS that I already have to the Grimmspeed MBCS to complete the hybrid setup. Not exactly sure how to do it, or how it works, but any input from you guys would be nice.

6. Lastly, the tune needs some adjustments. Will be meeting up with STi Mikey some time next week for him to give me a solid break-in tune rather then him try to guess what needs to be changed with out and data or having the car in front of him. I wanna make sure the car is broken in properly and safely.

Other then those few problems everything seems fine! Dave did an awesome job with the motor build and the fuel setup and everything else. It's pretty common for someone to forget a thing or two when your doing 100 things to a car at once. The new setup has roughly 150 miles on it and seems to be holding pretty strong. Grant it, it is only 100 mile but the drivability of the car is amazing compared to my previous builds. Overall I'm pretty satisfied as long as I can get all those things fixed in the next week. I want to tune the car in the same condition that I broke it in as. Hopefully the oil issue is fixed by next week as well as the few smaller things.

I'll keep everyone updated with what goes on. Any input on the "Boost Controlling Hybrid Setup" is welcome!

P.S. Pics soon to come!

#432 ·
I want to give one cautionary warning... there is a downside to running Hybrid BCS. If plumbed properly, you will have a small vacuum leak at idle.

#436 ·
Car went back to Rallispec Thursday to get the oil leak checked out. No word on that yet. I'm planning on heading up to EFI on Wednesday to get a proper break in tune from Mikey. Car is running a tad bit lean. Rather be safe then sorry.

#437 ·
So this will be my gauge setup for anyone interested.

SMY Clustermaker
-Aem Air/Fuel Ratio Wideband Gauge
-AEM Boost Gauge

JCS 3 Gauge A-Pillar Pod
-AEM Oil Pressure Gauge
-AEM Fuel Pressure Gauge
-3rd hole closed for now but eventually AEM Oil Temp Gauge

#438 ·
Nice. Can't go wrong with AEM gauges. I have my own boost gauge to throw in sometime soon when I decide to stop being lazy.

#447 ·
Btw, just made myself a little diagram on how to setup the "Hybrid Boost Control Setup" for anyone that is interested.
Killer STI you have! :drive2:

I dont really understand this, can you explain it?

My shop recommended the stock RBV because of something about it not tuning properly with MAF readings. Im guessing that with a real BOV it lets all of the air pressure out and causes a lean/rich condition. I really dont want to keep the stock RBV because I am pushing 400whp and dont want the stock RBV plastic valve to fail.

#446 · (Edited)
Got the car back today. We changed the the camshaft sprocket and camshaft seal for it and so far soo good no smoke. However, I am smelling a bit of coolant. I'm thinking from when the rad had to come off for him to fix the leak. Car is smoking like a normal catless setup, just seems like fuel burning. Keeping a good eye on it.

Tomorrow I'm heading the The Shop CT for a break in tune from STiMikey. Gotta make sure everything is good and ready for the official tune.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.