2011 STi Sedan Build Thread (400+whp) - Page 4
Page 4 of 43 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 STi Sedan Build Thread (400+whp) within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; There's really no reason to run coilovers on the street. Seriously, there isn't. If ride height is your goal there ...

There's really no reason to run coilovers on the street. Seriously, there isn't. If ride height is your goal there are other methods for that. Cheap coilovers ride like ****hole and dropping the car past one inch is actually detrimental to handling since it seriously pushes the geometry out of its sweet spot.

Coilover's main purposes are ease of changing springs for better rates and the ability to corner weight the car properly. They're not for ride height.. they're not for "stance" .. well, at least the good ones aren't.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    There's really no reason to run coilovers on the street. Seriously, there isn't. If ride height is your goal there are other methods for that. Cheap coilovers ride like ****hole and dropping the car past one inch is actually detrimental to handling since it seriously pushes the geometry out of its sweet spot.

Coilover's main purposes are ease of changing springs for better rates and the ability to corner weight the car properly. They're not for ride height.. they're not for "stance" .. well, at least the good ones aren't.
    It sounds like the OP intends to regularly track the car, Shawn. Also, the brands listed (KW, etc) are definitely the good stuff. Ordinarily, I'd completely agree with you on coilovers, but I think the OP is considering them for the right reasons (i.e. track setups, not stance).
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    It sounds like the OP intends to regularly track the car, Shawn. Also, the brands listed (KW, etc) are definitely the good stuff. Ordinarily, I'd completely agree with you on coilovers, but I think the OP is considering them for the right reasons (i.e. track setups, not stance).
    To be honest guys, I am doing coils for both performance and to give the car some stance also! And yeah I'm not looking into doing cheap coils, hell I'm not even looking into doing like mid grade coils, from what I've heard and read Racecomp & KW's are the top brands and the top notch coils! I'd be lying if I said I wanted coils strictly for track purpose, I do wanna add an aggressive stance to my car, but I am by far 100% against the whole wheel tuck and crazy camber and what not. I'm more into "hellaflush".....I'm kidding! I want a nice aggressive setup that I can go into a turn and feel super confident that I'll make it out! lol And I want the car to have a nicer "stance" too
    2011 STi----------PTE6266--------Fully Built---------ETS--------E85

I haven't heard tein in reference to "good" ever.. usually the bar is set right around the $1800+ range for "good" coilovers.

Problem I see routinely is that people buy coilovers because they're cheaper than a good set of struts and springs. Which for drag racing/street use will be absolutely fine. Hell the STI actually has decent dampening vs the wrx.. so where we wrx folks have to upgrade everything the OP can get away with just a set of good springs. Now if he wanted to get serious about road course stuff then yeah a $2k+ set of coilovers would be justified.. but for steet/drag.... nah man why spend that much cash?

Racecomp Engineering : Home Page : 410-846-5407

OP: Call and talk to Myles.. he'll set you straight.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I haven't heard tein in reference to "good" ever.. usually the bar is set right around the $1800+ range for "good" coilovers.

Problem I see routinely is that people buy coilovers because they're cheaper than a good set of struts and springs. Which for drag racing/street use will be absolutely fine. Hell the STI actually has decent dampening vs the wrx.. so where we wrx folks have to upgrade everything the OP can get away with just a set of good springs. Now if he wanted to get serious about road course stuff then yeah a $2k+ set of coilovers would be justified.. but for steet/drag.... nah man why spend that much cash?

Racecomp Engineering : Home Page : 410-846-5407

OP: Call and talk to Myles.. he'll set you straight.
    I do plan on autox the car! I wanted to get my power mods straight before I start road coursing it! (by power mods I mean hp) I rode in a buddies STi and he had KW V3's and that car drove 1000x better than mine did. Not just handling but even just when cruising the car was smoother and a more comfortable ride imo. Grant it, I was in the passenger seat so that may be why, but I know that car drove better than mine! And I want coils also so I can adjust ride height depending on season! Winter setup I want like stock location and stock wheels. Summer/fall setup, bring er down an inch or so and a nice meaty tire with some nice 18x9.5+38 wheels!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Januch09 View Post
    hell I'm not even looking into doing like mid grade coils, from what I've heard and read Racecomp & KW's are the top brands and the top notch coils!

You've heard wrong. I would consider RCE and KWs to be the top brands of the mid grade coilovers. To me, there are junk coilovers no one should buy, then there are inexpensive ones that should be for looks only, then midgrade that have some good performance characteristics, and then there are top of the line competition coilovers. If you want competitive coilovers for the track from a good manufacturer, then Cusco Comp-X Tarmac Rally Coilovers are what you should be looking at. AND, I believe they recently went on sale.

I Support ClubWRX

Re: 2011 STi Sedan Build Thread (400+whp)

Keep in mind... height adjustment effects toe in our cars fairly significantly. Plan on getting touch up alignments when you adjust the height.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    You've heard wrong. I would consider RCE and KWs to be the top brands of the mid grade coilovers. To me, there are junk coilovers no one should buy, then there are inexpensive ones that should be for looks only, then midgrade that have some good performance characteristics, and then there are top of the line competition coilovers. If you want competitive coilovers for the track from a good manufacturer, then Cusco Comp-X Tarmac Rally Coilovers are what you should be looking at. AND, I believe they recently went on sale.
    When I said "top of the line" i meant like top of the line everyday car coils! I'm not gunna run race car coils for my everyday street car! I'm going to wind up going with KW's or RC Tarmac 2's. I'll be able to have great height adjustment and still an awesome performance coil on the track!

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Keep in mind... height adjustment effects toe in our cars fairly significantly. Plan on getting touch up alignments when you adjust the height.
    What do you mean by toe? Sorry no very knowledgable when it comes to suspension! And I know that it's necessary to do an alignment when I change suspension, well coils at least.

When I said "top of the line" i meant like top of the line everyday car coils! I'm not gunna run race car coils for my everyday street car! I'm going to wind up going with KW's or RC Tarmac 2's. I'll be able to have great height adjustment and still an awesome performance coil on the track!

Yeah, you should be fine with either of those (Cusco also makes a line of every day coilovers that are very good). Not many people are looking to drop over $10k on coilovers for a $30k car.

Yeah, you should be fine with either of those (Cusco also makes a line of every day coilovers that are very good). Not many people are looking to drop over $10k on coilovers for a $30k car.
    10k on coils would be rather overkill imo ahahha, well at least for what I'd be using it for ahhahaha.

zax

Re: 2011 STi Sedan Build Thread (400+whp)

10k on coils would be rather overkill imo ahahha, well at least for what I'd be using it for ahhahaha.
    Ok but stay away from the Teins if you want anything worth a ****.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Ok but stay away from the Teins if you want anything worth a ****.

Tein actually has some decent coilovers, just not the cheaper ones.

Tein actually has some decent coilovers, just not the cheaper ones.
    I like the Tein Flex, but like I said, I'm gunan go with KW V3's or RCE Tarmac 2's

I Support ClubWRX
    I knew I saw the car before when I saw it at the shop. Hope its working out well for you.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX