Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ermahgerd! Ruh Roh's burgeye burld threard

110K views 715 replies 48 participants last post by  michaelwfox 
#1 · (Edited)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here is my build thread, not every mod I have is listed in here but just ones i happen to take pictures of. She's a DD build, going for a mean looking bugeye that i turn back to look at every time i park, something that has a little rumble and can make me smile when i hit the gas. :)
for info on mods or where to get them or anything just comment or message me :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Purchased stock on December 20th with 71,500ish miles on her. Shes my daily driver but we still have fun spending quailty time driving and modding. Im looking for a fun to drive daily that i could use lightly in some auto x. Right now my setup is where i want it for my budget and it being a daily. Always want moar low and moar fast but dont have the money to spend.

So anyway lets start. Before the WRX i drove a 1995 jeep cherokee, 1993 240sx and had my 2004 gsxr 1000.

Always looking for cars i stumbled upon this wild bugeye sitting at a sketchy dealer. Test drove it, fell in love. Had 3 vehicles and not enough money for the car :/ told the guy id be back to buy it and i didnt want to trade my vehicles in for half of what i could sell them for. checked the wrx and had some mechanics look at it all good. so a week later i sold my jeep, 240sx and got a loan for the rest of the car. Great success! *Borat voice*

Factory options on my car were upgraded sound system, short shifter, sti scoop, rear cargo net, carbon fiber trim, dimming compass mirror, wheel locks, and factory mudflaps.

Got new inspection, emissions, 4 new tires from the dealer and was good to go.

I take alot of pics so had to narrow it down for the thread :/ but heres the stock ones

Some new KYB GR-2's with Epic Springs, Also got some Rota DPT's 17x8 +48i :) Nexen n3000 225's which are meh.

Shes been on a few sort of far road trips like to Maryland for OCMD AWD week meet, New York, NJ beaches and love the reliability.

Heres my friends silver bugeye and another at the AWD meet ion OCMD

I wanted a little more rumble but wanted to keep it classy so i went with an autospeed turboback exhaust

Wanted more fast so went stage 2 with parts from Kronos performance

Cobb Accessport- also came with Hella horns :), Grimspeed uppipe, and running the 93 octane stage 2 tune.

I went with an Accessport because i know that i will get a different turbo setup soon and will want a protune so that way i can resell the AP and get some money back towards a protune.

Changed the trans fluid and rear diff with some Extra-S 75w-90 at 83,888 miles.

I ordered brakes from KNS brakes, id order with them again-fast shipping/good packing. i ordered the H6 upgrade kit which is the larger rear caliper brackets and the larger rear rotors, centric premium rotors, stoptech street pads. Im happy with this setup for a daily driver.

3/3/13 sway bar setups installed.engine bay as of now.

teh garage

See less See more
#193 ·
sooo fixed teh exhaust rattle. bought the exhaust used and was a little bent under neath so bent it back, no rattle :) got the strut mount bolt welded back in. put camber bolts in the rear, waiting for alignment. put the whiteline rear sway mounts on. wish u didnt have to reuse the 12mm bolts that hold it on and they gave some new ones but oh well they worked fine. installed the rear sway and went to put endlinks on and it looks a little too long -__-. bought it used so may be from a wagon but not sure... sooo figuring that out then will get my $ back and put towards a new one i guess. so right now rear swaybar less. less weight moar flex lulz :/ so just trying to get an alignment asap then the sway bar will be put on whenever i get that issue fixed..

#195 ·
got it figured out lol. wagon and sedan are interchangeable. it was an Sti bar which is wider.. so figuring that out tmmrw

ordered some Eibach camber bolts as well for the front so when i get them, hopefully tmmrw, i can install then get alignment most likely next day :)

after tmmrw when i get sway bar situation figured out i will probably end up ordering a new perrin rear 22mm sway.

#196 ·
:thumbup:

sorry to here some parts and bolts are giving you some trouble...

I'm going to do some sway/endlink install soon. Got all the parts in, just gotta get some time off work. Hopefully Thursday afternoon.

I'm wanting a catch can now. I do like how you have it run. I wouldn't want to put it on the turbo inlet but that's just me. I don't like putting my hands down there. I always feel like I'm going to snap off a plastic connector or something and have to replace a PITA part.

I like to keep my engine bay clean. A little trick I use is getting two spray bottles from the dolla sto and filling both up with water then add some dish soap to one of them. The spray bottles are nice if you can adjust the output to be a stream. Hit it with the soapy stuff, let it soak a few, scrub the caked on stuff, then come back and rinse with some streaming spray and it'll knock a good bit of dirt/grime off. You should be fine with all the liquids as long as you don't hose down your electrics or air filter.
This is great for cleaning off the brake and clutch fluid caps, gets most of the junk out of the letters and everything.

#197 ·
hmm where would u run the other tube to? connecting it to the turbo inlet was very easy and if you look you can see the big tube it connects to on the inlet. very easy to push on there and its a thicker plastic so i wouldnt worry about breaking it

#199 ·
Soo got my shiny new Perrin 22mm rear sway. installed smoothly, great fit, 2 license plate frames and some stickers they included so was happy with that. Installed everything and then noticed the one bolt on the mount looked loose. so go to tighten it up it spins then gets tight, go to turn it a quarter turn CRACKK.. FFFFUUUU. So the one thing i posted about earlier was i didnt like how Whiteline didnt include the 12mm bolts that go in the rear sway mount to frame and u have to reuse stock or get new ones. Take the time and get new ones. Bolts are 11 years old so guess i shouldve replaced em anyway. So i uninstalled all the rear sway stuff and the mounts and getting new bolts that go into the frame. So probably Saturday ill get this bolt thats stuck in the frame out....just cant win. Then my flashlight wasnt fitting in the charger properly so i stabbed it into the wall...and put a hole in the wall.. so now have even more things to fix :)

#200 ·
Cars are frustrating to work on. I can sympathize with that one.

#201 ·
yep especially once ya get the part installed then have to take everything back off -__- still have to fix 2 bolts that are stuck in the centerplate bracket area and then the bolt the dealer stripped that goes from the subframe into the frame fml

#203 ·
Well got some things done this weekend. For getting the bolt out of frame it wouldnt come easy. Heated with butane torch, no luck, heated with 02 acetylene torch, no luck. Had to undo the gas tank pipe that u fill in for more room to work. Stuffed a sock in the tank hole and the piping hole for safety. Car didnt blow up which is alright. So cut the bolt off flush with the frame, centerpunched the bolt, drilled two sized and rethreaded with a tap. Rear sway installed. used all new bolts on the mounts.

She hit 95k sunday :(

Cleaned the garage. Floor was disgusting from all the dirt, dust and rust. Red tool box is random tools. Black tool box under table is all sockets american and mm ratchets, wrenches 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 drives.

Cleaned engine bay sunday. nowhere near Bill's condition but cleaner than most id say. when warmer out ill clean underneath with the hose and some simple green

#205 ·
Yea that's on the list lol. And wasn't bad install but just everything that can go wrong will lol. Like wrong size bar, broken bolts, freezing outside and working alone lol. Those kinds of things lol

#207 ·
Hahaha if u read back some posts I had some brake troubles as well lol. Caliper mount bolt seized. Then when rotors installed the rear scraped so had to cut the dust shield or I forget what it was lol but always problems with everything lol. I still need to drill out 2 broken bolts and retap the subframe to frame bolt the dealer stripped out

#208 ·
stupid bolts... they should know better right?

rear sway with chunky mounts looks smexy... I wish I would have done the mounts when I did mine. Oh well, guess I'll have to order some and crawl back under there...

your bugeye is looking real mean, a good mean... keep fighting the good fight!

#212 ·
soo recently, changed oil at 95,627 miles :/ , put black plastic trays back under the car.

didnt really plan on buying much for a while..but found a hood, front bumper cover, headlights for sale so i bought them

installed it all last night. my hood had a few dings so i didnt like that and this hood the paint is great with no dents. put my sti scoop on it, go to bolt it down and 1 bolt hole is stripped on each side FFFFFFUUUUU. so have 1/2 bolts on each side holding teh hood on the mounts.. it locks down just is on a little crooked and sticks up near the drivers side headlight. so today after work ill be tapping out and making the hole one size bigger, rethread and should be fine. if not or something goes wrong ill just put my old hood back on.

front bumper was a PITA to get off. i absolutely hate the small black plastic clips that are used everywhere on that car. like 5 or so on the front under grill holding it on which are fine but then theres two upside down in the little brake air ducts, 2 holding the fender to the bumper. just a PITA. rather change oil, trans, and shocks then take a front bumper cover off lol. so get it off finally after pulling black pop pins out from everywhere and doing some tugging. Put the new one on. realize both the mounts where the corner of the fender and bumper meet (like on the side f the grill) mouints are broken. FFFFFFUUUUUU. but holds on fine and made it easier so i dont care much. put the black plastic pins that werent all broken back in in some spots and called it a day with that. went to put fogs back in and looked in and saw i had no bolt holes in the new bumpers but 3 broken studs in each bracket..wish i noticed that before i put the bumper on. but just popped the brackets off my old bumper, pushed the new ones off and had to reach behind the plastic wheel mud guard and then pushed em in. wasnt that bad. so fogs are on :) shes fine, pretty, not going anywhere...hopefully.

The headlights i bought because i was going to buy new ones anyway and paint the insides black. So for the price of these ones that were already painted inside with bulbs i decided to give that a shot rather than buy stock ones for the same price without bulbs. so the seller said they were just hazy on the outside. alright not a problem. no way of telling if hazy inside unless outside is clean. so i bought the mcguiers headliught restore kit and worked awesome on the outside.. they are a little hazy on the inside and the one has a big finger print smear across the inside from when he put them back together.. sooo cant tell unless looking close up. may resell them but most likely just take apart and clean off the insides in the spring. but taking the headlights off the car was simple. 3 bolts, 2 wire connector clips. simple. wanted to add my eyelids off my stock lights on there but that 3M double sided tape is doing a great job at being stuck on the stock headlights sooo. not quite to sure of how ill get them off. hairdryer and some pulling another day.

so of coure everything that can go wrong kinda did, but i expect that everytime i do something to my car so at this point i dont care much anymore lol.

also she will be making the journey down to participate in the second DFH meat tomorrow :)

before cleaning the outside..forgot to take an after pic fml

#215 ·
yea thats why i did it. had a bunch of dings from PO slamming it down with their fingers. the front bumper was scraped up on the sides too. the new ones are in much better condition, they were just resprayed. now only if the stupid hood wasnt stripped. like 2/4 bolt holes are stripped fml. now just need to fix the hood, get a rear bumper cover, passenger fender and new trunk and she'll be lookin clean. but for the price of a respray and body work its way cheaper to buy nice condition used and i can sell my other parts to make some $ back :)

- - - Updated - - -

I like it hoodless.
me too actually..

#220 ·
Thank ya :)

was doing a quick short pull in 2nd gear exiting a school zone because another wrx rode my arse throughout it and pretty sure my clutch slipped twice :( sooo may have to get that replaced before auto x lol

#221 ·
so got my headunit working correctly, installed two more hellas in front and "recycled" an old grill yesterday..

headunit with lights on, button colors are changeable, made em green to match the rest of the interior colors.

with cameraflash on

one thing i like is u can turn the screen off so its not so bright driving in the dark but still have the music on. pretty easy to use headunit, adjust equalizer some preset modes, video backgrounds, add pics for backgrounds yada yada.

so i had this old grill laying around and it had black mesh behind it. wanted my grill badgeless. stock grill needs cutting to fit hellas, and didnt feel like cutting the grill to fit two more sooo figured id use this. see how the aftermarket grill curves the opposite way of stock grill? well easy fix, flip black mesh upside down woot.

soo clearly its not a perfect fit or really fit at all. bent it to curve with the front bumper and got out some heavy duty JDM yolo zipties and tied it to each hella cage "perfect fit" lol

me gusta

the ones i had on before were silver. new are white. yes they will be painted. no i dont care that they match. too cold to paint out. they honk and are really loud so im content.

a little too dark out this morning so ill try to get a better pic when i go to my other office at 9

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.