Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ermahgerd! Ruh Roh's burgeye burld threard

110K views 715 replies 48 participants last post by  michaelwfox 
#1 · (Edited)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here is my build thread, not every mod I have is listed in here but just ones i happen to take pictures of. She's a DD build, going for a mean looking bugeye that i turn back to look at every time i park, something that has a little rumble and can make me smile when i hit the gas. :)
for info on mods or where to get them or anything just comment or message me :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Purchased stock on December 20th with 71,500ish miles on her. Shes my daily driver but we still have fun spending quailty time driving and modding. Im looking for a fun to drive daily that i could use lightly in some auto x. Right now my setup is where i want it for my budget and it being a daily. Always want moar low and moar fast but dont have the money to spend.

So anyway lets start. Before the WRX i drove a 1995 jeep cherokee, 1993 240sx and had my 2004 gsxr 1000.

Always looking for cars i stumbled upon this wild bugeye sitting at a sketchy dealer. Test drove it, fell in love. Had 3 vehicles and not enough money for the car :/ told the guy id be back to buy it and i didnt want to trade my vehicles in for half of what i could sell them for. checked the wrx and had some mechanics look at it all good. so a week later i sold my jeep, 240sx and got a loan for the rest of the car. Great success! *Borat voice*

Factory options on my car were upgraded sound system, short shifter, sti scoop, rear cargo net, carbon fiber trim, dimming compass mirror, wheel locks, and factory mudflaps.

Got new inspection, emissions, 4 new tires from the dealer and was good to go.

I take alot of pics so had to narrow it down for the thread :/ but heres the stock ones

Some new KYB GR-2's with Epic Springs, Also got some Rota DPT's 17x8 +48i :) Nexen n3000 225's which are meh.

Shes been on a few sort of far road trips like to Maryland for OCMD AWD week meet, New York, NJ beaches and love the reliability.

Heres my friends silver bugeye and another at the AWD meet ion OCMD

I wanted a little more rumble but wanted to keep it classy so i went with an autospeed turboback exhaust

Wanted more fast so went stage 2 with parts from Kronos performance

Cobb Accessport- also came with Hella horns :), Grimspeed uppipe, and running the 93 octane stage 2 tune.

I went with an Accessport because i know that i will get a different turbo setup soon and will want a protune so that way i can resell the AP and get some money back towards a protune.

Changed the trans fluid and rear diff with some Extra-S 75w-90 at 83,888 miles.

I ordered brakes from KNS brakes, id order with them again-fast shipping/good packing. i ordered the H6 upgrade kit which is the larger rear caliper brackets and the larger rear rotors, centric premium rotors, stoptech street pads. Im happy with this setup for a daily driver.

3/3/13 sway bar setups installed.engine bay as of now.

teh garage

See less See more
#154 ·
I've never been a huge fan of Gold on Silver myself...but that's a pretty killer deal.

#155 ·
little update, put future plans on post #2, rewired hellas the other night using the included relay, 14g wire and 20 amp inline fuse, hopefully selling my Legacy snowflakes with the all season tires to a member on here. Today or tomorrow if i can figure out how to set up an ebay account ill buy a cheap catch can and front strut bar, getting camber bolts sunday for free for the rear then will get her aligned soon. Right now shes riding on the gold rotas which i like but are for sale lol.

#156 ·
well sold the lego snowflakes, gold rotas with worn summers on, of course it snowed last night -__-. ordered front strut bar, catch can. should be picking up camber bolts sunday. working on negotiating a trade for my gold rotas for cobb intake, perrin 25 mm front sway, kartboy endlinks and possibly other parts. hope that goes well :)

#159 ·
Picked up some new parts this weekend ;) updated Post 2 of parts installed, purchased, sold. Moved pics and parts not on car anymore from first post to this post. That way i have the old posts and picsa stored but not showing on front page.

i made the common noob performance and appearance mistakes on the car, but a young jedi must learn the ways

I liked it at the time but heres the lip and grill setup

So then i wanted some new wheels and some moar low. well alotta low. So i went with coilovers used and they were horrible and didnt fit my driving style at all. So wanted moar monster truck.

So anyway here she is, just being my daily driver and will mod more when needed like when clutch starts to go ill get a stage 2 clutch and then shortly after replace the timing belt, then new turbo setup, not sure of the setup have to start researching. but heres more pics. build will be continued when i do something else :)

heres the winter wheels . Legacy snowflakes with almost new all seasons. with new brakes and these wheels on its like a whole new car lol

havent really done too much with her. cleaned her up a bit by taking rally stripe and all the stickers off rear window, made my sidemarkers stock orange instead of black. thinking for valentines day she will get a new trunk, 04-04 tails and a rear bumper. maybe some new wheels in the spring too and my rotas will be winterz. got an axle replaced because dust boot broke and slinging grease errwherrrr.

took into dealer for a service recall. had a few "problems".. in a short note i took the car in for control arm recall.they rust and break. they test it by shooting a spike thing into it. CA breaks-they fix it. CA doesnt break they spray it with some rust protection stuff. my appt was at 430. service closed at 5. both CA's failed. now had 2 holes in CA's. couldnt take home car, unsafe to drive. if CA's pass it takes around 30 minutes to spray, thats why the scheduled appt. they didnt have parts on hand because its the second time that has ever failed the dealer said.. they did not have any rental cars to hand out, no shuttle service, no nearby dealers or rental car places they work with to get me a rental and said im on my own...luckily i could get a ride, but bringing in a driveable car then them holding it and not giving me a rental is upsetting. called SOA, they said theyd cover a rental for the time my car was in teh shop. so waited a day and the car was done. new control arms for free, wouldve been around 800$ if they broke and there was no recall. so me being paranoid about taking my car to dealers and i dont like people touching my car i decided to take a look and make sure everything was alright. glad i did. the one bolt that holds the control arm in place wasnt even finger tight!!! i loosened it with one finger rolling it downwards! >:l so tightend it up checked other side and luckily that was good. also i found a thread on here with an ABS recall,service bulletin if your ABS kicks in braking on bumps or gravel you can take it in for a free ABS ECU replacement. going to do that but not taking it there... and right now with alittle over a year she has 91,400 miles on her :(

Picked up some new wheels yesterday. Planning on using them as winter wheels next year and getting winter tires. Picked em up for 350$. Rota G-Force 17x7.5 with 235/45 Dunlop Direzza tires on them. The tires arent down to the wear bars yet. Have camber wear on the insides. I put the two with the bad camber wear up front because my rear has more camber. Tires grip better than my summer tires. Might have to get these tires for my next set on the summer wheels.

#168 ·
Sooo last night went to give the front sway install a shot. It gave me a shot...first started taking the 4 12mm bolts off the center plate, 2 bolts cracked in half (im thinking this install is really going to suck..) 3rd one came out put sucked trying to hold the wrench up top. 4th bolt was on there good so im pullin back pretty hard, bolt strips, 1/2" drive racthet comes back and smacks me in the head. FFFFFFUUUUUUU. Thhe bolt stripped but i got it out. Got all the other 14 and 17mm bolts out except two -__- so with now air tools it wasnt coming off. So at least i broke the bolts loose.. hopefully will install it tomorrow when i go up my dads and get air tools. So now have a bump and cut on my forehead fml :D

#173 ·
yesss sir. not installing rear yet. need to order the stout mounts for the rear then ill be good to go and that install should be a breeze....should. those bolts ARE coming off tmmrw or the car is being set on fire then scraped. jk but ill get em off.

#174 ·
Haha. Should be fun. I like my 25 mm front and 22 mm rear bars a ton. I just checked out those stout mounts and man do they look beefy! My bars came with new hardware and mounts, although not quite as sturdy as those perrin mounts.

#183 ·
I'm glad somebody else hurts themselves while working on their car. And has a miserable time installing something like a sway bar.

Makes me a bit happier knowing I'm not the only one :tongue:

Jealous of those air tools though. I will definitely look into getting a nice air compressor and some tools in the new place.

#186 ·
So yesterday at around 1pm i saw some snow flurries outside of work, that should been a good sign for me to say its a little too cold outside. Nope. Didnt start working on the car until 5pm. Once i had power tools the two bolts i couldnt get off came off easy and subframe was off in 2 mins. Suns still up, progress is solild. Look at the one bolt that was stuck relaize the threads are mangled and have red stuff on em.. meh ill try to clean em up later.. (thinking when the dealer did my control arm replacement they had to drop the subframe..) take off the endlinks. Very slow process as the bolt spins and you cant grab anything really to stop it from moving. Used a pair of vice grips on the washer/flange thing and that worked and would slip every now and then. Slow process and laying on the cold ground was getting worn out pretty quick. Installed the new front sway, greased up the bushings. Put the one bolt that was the threads were messed up back in after i cleaned it up. I always wire brush bolts then neverseize em so they come back out nice and smooth. Could file down in between some threads to clean em out but nope. Whereever that bolt goes in is stripped inside.. not sure if it had a welded nut on top it or it goes into the frame. But guessing the dealer tried putting it back in with an impact gun, it was stripped inside so the red stuff couldve been red lock tight that they put in so it wouldnt come out again. surprised i didnt have to heat it up and the gun got it out.. So right now the bolt is out, i still have two broken bolts to get out of the center jack plate area so that cover piece is still off. So that will all get fixed soon but was too cold for it last night. Couldnt feel fingers so was having trouble putting bolts on and feeling where the hidden ones were. So no more working on cars in that cold of weather for me. But the Perrin 22mm front sway with kartboy endlinks is in there and it does make a nice difference. Feels like it dives into corners alot nicer and less body roll.

Front strut bar and catch can will go on today.

Ordering rear mounts for rear sway today so when they get in they will be installed as well as rear camber bolts then alignment time. :)

#187 ·
So yesterday ordered Whiteline rear sway mounts, Kartboy replacement bushing kit for endlinks since i bought used and it was missing a bushing. So when they get in theyll be installed.

My eBay front strut bar was wayyyy off from fitting. When i had the passenger side on the bolt studs the other end was pointing at a 4 o'clock position instead of 3 and being straight to go to the other side studs...so pushed it up a bit to make it fit and my wonderful Subaru strut mount stud broke. It didnt snap in half or anything, just fell off and rolled under the car...so now my alignment is postponed until i can take the strut off and weld in the strut mount post...had to do that with one on the other side when i first put it in because it fell out too... guess group N mounts are way better than the subaru ones :/ so no strut bar install..

did a catch can install with the ebay catch can. i took the brass fittings out and wrapped the threads with white plumbers tape. the tubing they included was a bright transparent blue and i wanted black so went to the store but they didnt have black so i got clear. 3/8" inside. hooked one side from turbo inlet to catch can and the other from valve cover vent lines to catch can. mounted with zip ties because couldnt find a bolt long enough but ill find one laying around in my toolbox later. didnt want to mount it near the battery and have super long tubes running across because i dont like how that looks.

this tube was a little hard to fit on here so i heated it up with just a butane torch quick and then squished it on there. used pliers to twist it further down on the line then used supplied hose clamp.

these lines fit on nicely and then just clamped em down.

before cutting the stock tube that went to the turbo inlet i wanted to try to heat up the clear tubing and stretch it around so i wouldnt ruin the stock tube. so heated it up and almosttt fit but couldnt get it so i cut the stock black tube just a little higher than where it is fully on the turbo inlet then heated it up and put it over top the clear tube then a hose clamp on top of it. later realzing instead of doing that i could have used a little metal fitting they gave me that wouldve fit in the black tubing end then it narrows down to be able to fit 3/8" tube over it. so may do that one day if bored, but this works just fine.

but ill see if i get any blowby in the future. in the turbo inlet i could see a little :eek: so hopefully teh catch can will do its job.

#188 ·
also going to cut a small piece of tubing and put it against where the clear line going into the valve cover vent hits the cap, just so incase it gets hot wont melt my tube :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.