Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ermahgerd! Ruh Roh's burgeye burld threard

110K views 715 replies 48 participants last post by  michaelwfox 
#1 · (Edited)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here is my build thread, not every mod I have is listed in here but just ones i happen to take pictures of. She's a DD build, going for a mean looking bugeye that i turn back to look at every time i park, something that has a little rumble and can make me smile when i hit the gas. :)
for info on mods or where to get them or anything just comment or message me :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Purchased stock on December 20th with 71,500ish miles on her. Shes my daily driver but we still have fun spending quailty time driving and modding. Im looking for a fun to drive daily that i could use lightly in some auto x. Right now my setup is where i want it for my budget and it being a daily. Always want moar low and moar fast but dont have the money to spend.

So anyway lets start. Before the WRX i drove a 1995 jeep cherokee, 1993 240sx and had my 2004 gsxr 1000.

Always looking for cars i stumbled upon this wild bugeye sitting at a sketchy dealer. Test drove it, fell in love. Had 3 vehicles and not enough money for the car :/ told the guy id be back to buy it and i didnt want to trade my vehicles in for half of what i could sell them for. checked the wrx and had some mechanics look at it all good. so a week later i sold my jeep, 240sx and got a loan for the rest of the car. Great success! *Borat voice*

Factory options on my car were upgraded sound system, short shifter, sti scoop, rear cargo net, carbon fiber trim, dimming compass mirror, wheel locks, and factory mudflaps.

Got new inspection, emissions, 4 new tires from the dealer and was good to go.

I take alot of pics so had to narrow it down for the thread :/ but heres the stock ones

Some new KYB GR-2's with Epic Springs, Also got some Rota DPT's 17x8 +48i :) Nexen n3000 225's which are meh.

Shes been on a few sort of far road trips like to Maryland for OCMD AWD week meet, New York, NJ beaches and love the reliability.

Heres my friends silver bugeye and another at the AWD meet ion OCMD

I wanted a little more rumble but wanted to keep it classy so i went with an autospeed turboback exhaust

Wanted more fast so went stage 2 with parts from Kronos performance

Cobb Accessport- also came with Hella horns :), Grimspeed uppipe, and running the 93 octane stage 2 tune.

I went with an Accessport because i know that i will get a different turbo setup soon and will want a protune so that way i can resell the AP and get some money back towards a protune.

Changed the trans fluid and rear diff with some Extra-S 75w-90 at 83,888 miles.

I ordered brakes from KNS brakes, id order with them again-fast shipping/good packing. i ordered the H6 upgrade kit which is the larger rear caliper brackets and the larger rear rotors, centric premium rotors, stoptech street pads. Im happy with this setup for a daily driver.

3/3/13 sway bar setups installed.engine bay as of now.

teh garage

See less See more
#625 ·
welp with winter coming and already having to drive in light snow this season i finally caved and bought a new set of winter tires. i couldnt find a setup that had decent winter tires that werent 1/4 tread for $600 or that had new tires but seller wanted their weight in gold for them...so i bought a pair of 05 LGT wheels which i think are the same as the 05 wrx wheels but silver not bronze tinted. so these are 16" then ill be running the same height tire as my 235/45/17 but obviously the new setup is not as wide, just as tall. the 16" i always like for winter so its a softer ride then in spring i can put my summers on and get that raw feeling again. i was having an internal debate if i wanted 16 or 17" wheels but when i went up to my parts guy i could not find a set of 17" wheel that were all the same for the life of me...only 3 of one style i liked. ive always loved the style of the 05 wrx/lgt wheels and the comfier ride of the 16" wheel. the 17's would probably be able to clear a big brake kit if i were to ever get one...but by the time i do im sure my new winter setup will have very little life left. the 17" tires were also cheaper when i was looking at getting a set from my local tuning shop.. about $90 a tire for 17" compared to 105$ a tire for some no names winter tires made by cooper...but for the set with tax, no free mount and balance it was about $450 for 16" no name tires that they could not ship and id have to drive an hour to pickup... i went on discount tire direct (same place i bought my Coopers that im still running) and found some 215/55-16 Hankook i* cept evo w310 tires for $447.00 delivered to me..so dont have to drive an hour to pickup no name tires.. standard shipping is 3-7 business days and they should be delivered today which is 2 business days :) then a $70 mail in rebate..so i think i made out nicely and paid less than $500 for stock wheels with a brand new winter setup. once theyre mounted and balanced ill post a pic of my ugly winter subaru :((

#628 ·
nope but i think i may hold on to her, already put more $ into mods on her than i wouldve liked to and always have a good time driving it :/ but its for sale or for a nice trade plus cash, not really concerned with selling it anymore, i just have it up for sale.

In the future, don't forget or ever rule out the Saab 92x wheels! ;) really like those.
of course not, i love them. he had 3.... i searched through probably 100 wheels in stacks of 5 and could only find 3 lol...

#629 ·
You could always have bought the 3...then found one on ebay or a forum somewhere...

#630 ·
they wouldve been more expensive and not about looks in the winter. she just turns into a beat up daily in the winter lol. next winter ill dip the stock wheels bronze and black out my stock headlights so she looks cool

#631 ·
tires came!

so ive had my summer tires on for about a year and maybe 4 months, car was always aligned when i had summers on. my last alignment was in spring when i did my coilovers and had these tires mounted and balanced on my enkeis....tires had NO improper wear before mount and balance. had car aligned to -2.0 camber all around which was mainly to clear my fenders from rubbing since im low and my fenders arent rolled or pulled. caster was stock spec and toe was 0 all around. front pass tire has wear so bad its down to the threads. driver side has bad camber wear but no threads are showing. rears look like they have proper wear. any thoughts on why so bad wear since spring??

heres the driver pass tire

tires still had a bit of life in them :/

heres the ugly winter beater bugeye :(

will have to post a pic when shes on the ground since on the lift shes at full flex and has wheel gap for days lol.. i love the ride comfort from these soft tires and 16" wheels

#634 ·
For the love of god, rattle can that bumper. :rotfl:

And for your tire wear, if they didn't torque the front strut bolts right, they could have slipped which would cause the increased camber wear. Only thing I can think of. Who did your alignment?

#635 ·
haha yea i dont even care how it looks right now. next year i will spray it, never got around to it this year. its pretty ugly though :/ and Rt tuning. going to have them realign the car this week -__-

#636 ·
soo since im running a really tall tire, since i like teh meat, and im pretty low-keeping the same ride height they didnt have too much room to play with alignement since i like it this low. eventually i may raise up once i see how the new tires sit in the summer but who knows.

so new alignment results are -1 front camber, -2.5 rear camber...which was the max that they could do towards positve...they could give me more negative but thats the least amount of camber they could do.. rears dont wear as bad anyway so just will have to rotate tires plus ill probably be raising it up a bit with less meaty tires in spring anyway.. stock aster and 3.5 degrees and 0 toe. wanted to do less rear camber but its maxed so not much i can do without raising the car.

since that EVAP CEL is still on had her smoke tested while there. leaking from the PCV left port on the valve cover. right spark plugs tube leaks as well.. so letting that go for a bit and will have it fixed in the spring.

gf got me a black cobb after maf and a mishi gold oil cap. engine bay still will be clean and look good and lots of gold, mostly functional gold... but as of right now not doing alot of the nice shiny mods like SS windhshiled washer res and power steering res all powdercoated. just trying to save some $ and get the car leak free and turbo and all that fun stuff on. will be keeping the NRG seats because everytime i have someone offer me what i got them for i cant let them go lol. wheels ill stick with most likely because the wheels i want are rotas 18x9.5 +35 and not sure if i want that wide.. if i get a good offer on the enkeis ill let them go. NRG harness bar and corbeau harnesses it will be this year for christmas...most likely will be budging on the car funds because ive been wanting a new snowboard for the last few years.

so plenty of parts to put on and cant wait until spring and see what happens :D

#637 ·
new after MAF hose i got for christmas installed. ill be taking off the cruise control and i think before the tune in spring doing the JDM style evap delete for the purge valve. less points for the system to leak and will look cleaner. will keep the charcoal cannister most likely but not sure so that way the car doesnt smell like gas fumes badly in the summer...dealing with the fumes in the winter already has gotten old... when i do the new turbo setup im not sure if i want to add my grimmspeed turbo heat shield or not...

sexy new oil cap!!!

and finally got around to putting the new plate on! now just cant wait to have the new rear bumper with this license plate installed ;) the rear end should look great this year

im hopefully getting rid of the wingless trunk to make some extra $ and im really not that much into it. id love to buy a BRZ spoiler and mount that to the wingless because i think it would look great on my car just dont want to spend the $. hoping to get rid of the front NRG seats for stock 04-05 WRX seats because i like the style and theyre going to be a lot more comfy.

as for the tune in the spring i have all the parts i need (except oil feed line new bolts and crush washers) and once it gets warmer out ill be doing some minor things to the engine bay and then installing all the parts and then the tune day!! more anxious than eager just because hoping i can make it through the tune without killing the clutch or the trans.

just had a smoke leak test yesterday, no leaks. also got a new throttle body to TMIC silicone hose and some nice Tbolt clamps that ill put on when i have it off to install turbo. :D

#638 ·
*in for more zip tie and sexy oil cap shots*

I like to play the spot the zip tie game. It's a lot more fun than where's Waldo.. that douche.

Car is looking good. I'm wanting to do a turbo swap too. Need some moar parts though... like a turbo. Too bad I can't find a limited edition 17G...

#639 ·
haha there are lots of zipties on the boost controller lines. i think im going to take the foam off of the AC line in the rear because i dont like how it looks with the foam and zipties lol and remove the foam on the power steering hose thats in front of the rad, it looks messes up. ill be removing the cruise control because i hate that big ugly throttle cable and box near the fire wall. the 2 coolant lines from the left side of turbo res to rad will be removed and ill put some straight tubes in because these are all pre bent and ugly looking...its the little things that get me. and those 17G's are hard to find but this 17.5g i have that was on Zax Legendary Shaggin Wagon is a unicorn...whos jizz ill use to tune the bugeye on

#641 ·
so yesterday i sold my NRG carbon fiber seats and put back in my stock ones and wooo it was a complete difference and felt like i was driving a new car. they sit so much higher , which i hate, but they are comfy and i dont have to crawl out of them anymore which is nice. i also sold the STI wingless trunk for a stock wrx trunk. the wingless i wasnt in love with but got it for a steal and i actually prefer the stock wrx trunk. :) ill miss the seats in some ways but one day ill get some new racing seats and run a harness set.

#642 ·
Glad you got those bad boys sold.

Did you ever do the fuel line fix for these cars? I had the same fuel smell in the winter, put some new lines on, and never had it again.

#643 ·
nopeeee , most dealers wont do it now since car is too old. ive had a friend with an 03 in similar situation and even after calling SOA they wouldnt do the install for them :(

#645 ·
WTF. That's some serious BS. Bring it down my way and we can get it fixed over a six pack of beers.

#649 ·
That's the only way to fix anything ?
I don't think that's legal...
I think it might be, seeing as it's a voluntary recall? Idk, I've never owned a vehicle that had a recall before and I'm not a lawyer.
yea i have never personally called SOA, it was a friend that was declined at the dealer with an 03 WRX and then declined by SOA so its no bother to me, it hasnt been unbearable yet like the smell last winter. so i most likely wont fix it at all.
I've heard that depending on what you want, they can either be very cooperative or very dismissive and abrasive.
I did my fuel lines myself due to the dealer near me showing on their computer it had been done already. I went ahead and ordered the repair kit and all the rubber hoses (and I do mean all.) Was not to bad, except to electrical connectors broke, but where easily replaced. Also got my perrin turbo inlet and samco i/c hoses installed.
What kit did you use and when? And have you had any issues since?

#647 ·
yea i have never personally called SOA, it was a friend that was declined at the dealer with an 03 WRX and then declined by SOA so its no bother to me, it hasnt been unbearable yet like the smell last winter. so i most likely wont fix it at all.

#648 ·
I did my fuel lines myself due to the dealer near me showing on their computer it had been done already. I went ahead and ordered the repair kit and all the rubber hoses (and I do mean all.) Was not to bad, except to electrical connectors broke, but where easily replaced. Also got my perrin turbo inlet and samco i/c hoses installed.

#652 ·
sooo in short heres an update on my bugeyeee

-finally gathered all the parts for turbo swap and ewg setup, sold it all (besides boost controlls that im still using ) going to get a cobb V3 AP and run the stg 2 plus EBCS with cobb 3 port EBCS on 91 octane and use 93 all the time which i always do.

- still have the chargespeed rear bumper but currently up for sale just if i can trade for a stock plus cash. if that doesnt sell ill repair and use it and have a good looking, rare rear bumper.

-have 04-05 taillights that ill do the JDM lighting mod to before install.

-just purchased a VIS wingless carbon fiber trunk and will have that sanded down and recleared when i have the car plastidipped, the color im thinking is anthracite grey :)

-sold my enekeis last night and ordering some new ones today! same specs as my old setup 17x8 +35 , actually getting my new wheels for less than what i sold my old ones for (cant beat that)

-will need new tires mount and balanced, alignment, install all the parts and to dip the car and then should be good to go for spring. not doing too much to her anymore, just want a safe tune and tired of my car being 10 shades of silver, once i can save for a full paint job i will most. will post some photos as i go alonggg

#655 ·
ordered and picked up my new enkeis and still had some $ left over from my previous wheels :)

picked up a cobb EBCS and just waiting for my Accessport V3 to come in so i can download the EBCS stage 2 tune, install the new EBCS and reflash!

jdm modded the taillights which i love how they look (havent installed them yet, just going off online pics) super easy mod and love the style of the circle taillight part lit up with running lights on

How To JDM Tail light mod 04-05 (WITH PIX) - NASIOC

there is the link on how to do that if anyones curious^^

#657 ·
seemed to have lost my existing plug for my original 2 port EBCS so i couldnt just cut off the GM pigtail, solder the stock plug back on the wires then plug and play my Cobb EBCS...so of course something simple like that then had to cut my old GM pigtail wires off, cut the plug off the new Cobb EBCS and solder it to the stock wires :/ oh well. looks cleaner since no plug anyway and can always resoldered the Cobb ebcs plug back on if i ever decide to sell that. but anyhow took off that entire mounting system where the stock EBCS goes and bolted the 3 port right up to the strut mount area so just is more simple. as soon as into boost the EBCS solenoid you can defintly hear working and sounds quite loud. havent done any logs yet just monited as driving and did one little pull, not even 100% throttle but car pulled great and no knock. will log shortly probably this week. mounted the v3 AP to the left of the radio so i can still see it with both hands on wheel and in a reasonable point of view. love the auto on off function of it though so dont have to turn on or off or unplug every time i want to use it like the v2. next purchase will be tires, then mount and balance and alignment. just sold my tactrix and hoping to trade my chargespeed bumper tomorrow for a stock 04-05 bumper thats in great shape. hoping that deal works out :)

#658 ·
welp this kid is flakier than a bowl of frosted flakes with wanting to trade his rear bumper so we will see how that goes. however in other news, hopefully saturday going to delete the cruise control, install the new throttle body to intercooler silicone coupler, put new coolant lines from the turbo res to rad so i can get rid of the ugly prebent ones, clean the intake filter and maf and reset ECU . should be able to accomplish all of those little things and hopefully even have time to rewrap the alt cover and remove all the gold heat tape off the rad tray :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.