Subaru WRX Forum banner

Ermahgerd! Ruh Roh's burgeye burld threard

110K views 715 replies 48 participants last post by  michaelwfox 
#1 · (Edited)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Here is my build thread, not every mod I have is listed in here but just ones i happen to take pictures of. She's a DD build, going for a mean looking bugeye that i turn back to look at every time i park, something that has a little rumble and can make me smile when i hit the gas. :)
for info on mods or where to get them or anything just comment or message me :)
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Purchased stock on December 20th with 71,500ish miles on her. Shes my daily driver but we still have fun spending quailty time driving and modding. Im looking for a fun to drive daily that i could use lightly in some auto x. Right now my setup is where i want it for my budget and it being a daily. Always want moar low and moar fast but dont have the money to spend.

So anyway lets start. Before the WRX i drove a 1995 jeep cherokee, 1993 240sx and had my 2004 gsxr 1000.

Always looking for cars i stumbled upon this wild bugeye sitting at a sketchy dealer. Test drove it, fell in love. Had 3 vehicles and not enough money for the car :/ told the guy id be back to buy it and i didnt want to trade my vehicles in for half of what i could sell them for. checked the wrx and had some mechanics look at it all good. so a week later i sold my jeep, 240sx and got a loan for the rest of the car. Great success! *Borat voice*

Factory options on my car were upgraded sound system, short shifter, sti scoop, rear cargo net, carbon fiber trim, dimming compass mirror, wheel locks, and factory mudflaps.

Got new inspection, emissions, 4 new tires from the dealer and was good to go.

I take alot of pics so had to narrow it down for the thread :/ but heres the stock ones

Some new KYB GR-2's with Epic Springs, Also got some Rota DPT's 17x8 +48i :) Nexen n3000 225's which are meh.

Shes been on a few sort of far road trips like to Maryland for OCMD AWD week meet, New York, NJ beaches and love the reliability.

Heres my friends silver bugeye and another at the AWD meet ion OCMD

I wanted a little more rumble but wanted to keep it classy so i went with an autospeed turboback exhaust

Wanted more fast so went stage 2 with parts from Kronos performance

Cobb Accessport- also came with Hella horns :), Grimspeed uppipe, and running the 93 octane stage 2 tune.

I went with an Accessport because i know that i will get a different turbo setup soon and will want a protune so that way i can resell the AP and get some money back towards a protune.

Changed the trans fluid and rear diff with some Extra-S 75w-90 at 83,888 miles.

I ordered brakes from KNS brakes, id order with them again-fast shipping/good packing. i ordered the H6 upgrade kit which is the larger rear caliper brackets and the larger rear rotors, centric premium rotors, stoptech street pads. Im happy with this setup for a daily driver.

3/3/13 sway bar setups installed.engine bay as of now.

teh garage

See less See more
#390 ·
ehhh so whats new?
timing belt/water pump and all that replaced. smoke boost leak test showed a leak which was tightened by a hose clamp.

the other day the car would shift in all gears fine but if in first and trying to pull out when id let out the clutch it wpuld feel like it was grinding and just all sorts of horrible.. shifted into every other gear fine and no problem but first just felt horrible...only did it a few times that day, seems fine now but waiting on it to return..

random pic from cars and coffee meet

noticed in my engine bay that the hose from the turbo inlet came off, not sure how long its been off but had the hood open monday and didnt notice it. the catch can setup is air tight but due to all the areas it could leak i think im just going to run a straight line like the stock setup. my catch can has no blow by and just does thre job of looking pretty. so its gonna come off.

noticed my ziptie that held my MBC on was broken so i found the time to search for a bolt and found one that fit perfect.

since yesterday i noticed my cars been running like a raped ape, seems to be super quick for some reason and just touchy when i hit the gas. yes that sounds like a good thing, but when its usually slow then switches to feeling awesome, ya worry. sooo have to do a log or too just to check because im paranoid.

im switching tuners due to a few reasons and will be getting the car protuned most likely by RT Tuning or Akuma. Once i have some money to spare. Need to save so i can pay my bills when i quit my job and go to school until i find another job up at school, but who knows how long thatll take to find a job..

well i was saving for a tune and a wild pair of Morette headlights got in the way. When they were listed at 500 they got my attention, but i held strong. Then they were reduced to 350$ like 2 days later so i knew it was meant to be. Lights work, the shell that gets painted is in pretty good condition, one 1" crack on the side but cant really tell, ill fix it. Some chips out of the paint that was on it so sanding them down and scuffing the paint for new paint. Just ordered some Grimmspeed PSM paint. The high beam lenses and the turn signal lenses will be tinted amber like my fogs.

some how managed to cut m finger and it wouldnt stop for like 5 mins.

the housing that hold the light has a fair share of cracks. JB weld and random pieces of plastic will make it sturdy, hopefully get that done this weekened and tint the lenses this weekend.

this im pulling apart to show the crack, it fits together just needs something to hold it together

this is where the light mounts. fixing it while still keeping the light removable will be tricky

too many wires, unplugged, forget where they go.. will have to do some trial and error troubleshooting if they dont work when i get them all back together..

with random sand paper grit levels i had i got started sanding. got one cover sanded and just about ready for paint. the other ill hopefully finish tonight

#393 · (Edited)
so uhh continuing the morette work here are some updates

getting ready for teh paint

painting lights

painted middle section black, psm grimmspeed paint will be here today and hopeuflly have them all painted tonight

stuff i use for my fogs, and all that. works great each time, will have to get more cans of

so this big crack i had i needed some plastic to fill in and patch up. this lid seemed to work from a zip tie containter

too hard to cut with scissors or it wouldve cracked, cutting with a knife or razor blade was too hard so i heated up a razor blade with my little torch and then when the blade was hot sliced through the plastic like butter. jeenyus.

good nuff'

the housing curves..

heat it up and use some ******* engineuity to bend er right up

fixedish

jb weld that in there and good to go. just had to drill a hole when it dried for the bolt to go in.

dry fit

done

instead of watching paint dry i decided to do some organizing in my time.

also got this bad boy at CVS

been driving around like this because i didnt feel like undoing the wiring to take the lights off until i can get my covers painted. hopefully will be all done tomorrow night

#397 ·
lol well theyre not quite done yet Willenium. Oh BTW i had the last homebrew of the few you gave me last night in my bugeye mafia stein :)

#400 ·
well all done. when i went to paint the silver i taped off the black section, painted silver, removed tape and it left behind a lot of adhesive. rubbing alcohol, soapy water-didnt seem to do the trick. had to use goo gone fml. the black got a little messed up on on spot from rubbing to hard. the paint was then sticky after... it has dried a little more but its not perfect so im not fully content. the silver/black tape line is also not perfect. i will get the covers repainted, maybe sooner than i think if rock chips the black and it peels or who knows. but theyre good for now until they get messed up.

update-still tuning with matty, hopefully be done by the end of aug.

fog lights and low beams

fogs and high beams. i can also run only fog lights

#409 ·
well heres an update- purchased a replacement oil pan, still the 2.0 pan, will reuse the stock pickup, will install next oil change. yes yes i know i shouldve gotten the 2.5 pan as prep for ELH with a killer b pickup Zach, but im poorish now lol. I picked up a gauge bezel, the thing where i have my AEM WB gauge mounted to, because i want to try to mount my gauge lower. Just orderd a Defi 52mm 30psi boost gauge in red from JSCspeed. Ordered yesterday, on truck for delievery today :) install tonight, i will make a write up of my awesome cheap ******* ziptie install. My WB gauge is still perfectly secure and looks fine. Cheaper than a SMY cluster and does the same thing and still looks clean enough for most people.

Even though the catch can setup was leak free, the hose kept popping off. The turbo inlet hose is biger than the Valve cover vent line part so the stock hose is wider at one end. So to make it work for my catch can i had to add a little hose adapter and it kept popping off so i saif eff it and bought a new stock one. Dont get blowby anyway so all good :)

this blows apart because clamps get loose, yes i know i can use T bolt clamps but i dont care

meh

new hosee

so spur of the moment type of thing, i wanted to do a quick photoshoot. washed and waxed car a week ago so it was dirty already. thought if there was a way to get the dirt off without washing it, like a duster... welllll good news kids! there is, its called a California Dust mop or something like that, Mikie was telling me about it before and i never thought to get one. Well it worked awesome and picked up the dust off the car without scratching, smoothly glided over teh car and made her look good :) then just used a quick detail spray and a microfiber cloth to shine her up quick then used the cloth for the wheels and good to go.

i went to advance auto for some cleaning things but they sold a "pacific coast duster" which is kinda the same thing but it was more expensive than the orignial cali dust mop, so i went pep boys for the mop.

these mops come in diff sizes. i got the plastic handle for 15$ because i felt no reason for the giant one which was 24$ or the wood handled one for 23$.

at advance auto i picked up some towels since ive been drying mine with ~2 year old towels that were never washed and old microfiber cloths for buffing... so got some new stuffz.

made a little quick detail kit to keep in the car, simple green, water, quick detailer spray, microfiber cloth for quick detailer, exhaust polishing towel, static dust cling mitt for dash.

stuff works well and got it for free :)

so then with the car being clean i decided to go take some photos :) heres a sample and the link for the full album, please like and share :)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.557956434252467.1073741838.515631691818275&type=3

#410 · (Edited)
well got my Defi racer 52mm red boot gauge from JSCspeed. 195$ and got it the next day. So far only great experiences ordering from JSCspeed.

heres my zip tie college budget gauge holder. it works and its nearly free, good enough for me.

eye it up or measure where ya want the gauges. if u look at my older posts i had it more on the 9 o'clock position and i wanted it lower so i got a new bezel to work with. end result is similar mounting as the SMY cluster...just a ton cheaper.

so when ya drill the holes keep in mind the clip position as well as whats under where youre drilling. its not all smooth under there so ya dont want to drill on a little structural support thing. so i used my fingers, eyes and a ruler to get it around evenly mounted. when drilling they need to be even and sort of in the middle of the bezel otherwise your ziptie will be angled and itll slide.

youll need to make a little cutout so the wires arent super pinched against the dash gauge cluster. dremel works well. just hard to reach.

used some of this foam stuff this time so the gauge goes in between this and the plastic bezel. before i didnt use this and it was still fine, but since it came with my gauge i figured id use it. when all mounted you can still slightly spin the gauge against this so its straight.

put the sticky foam tape down and thats how the zip tie "pod" loop looks. i also put a piece on top of the gauge where the ziptie presses against. (on my old setup i didnt use any of this foam tape and still worked fine, didnt slide, rattle or fall off)

here how the zip tie goes

tighten em up and snip excess

good good enough for me :)

did a little photoshoot the next day in philly and got some cheesesteaks

full album hereee

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.558996150815162.1073741839.515631691818275&type=3

thennnn saturday night a wild rock appeared on the back side of a small hill, middle of lane. about the size of 2 phone books stacked. not sure how it wondered its way into the middle of road but oh well i hit it. if i turned right i woulda hit some trees so i turned left and caught it with the front right wheel. popped tire, bent wheel, broke front lips, messed up front bumper, pushed wheel back towards the doors so i suspect control arm, strut, maybe subframe, axle, is all messed up. who knows. wil tow to shop today and get it fixed hopefully by end of week.

if anyone knows or has a good deal on stock 235's from the new gen wrx's and are selling message me plz.

#412 ·
Bummer dude. You shouldn't have any issues filing a comprehensive claim, at least. No rate change, either.

#423 ·
No... don't do that. That's bad.

#426 ·
The picture is not surprising. I'm just amazed that BroBill spends soooo much time on the forum and only has 4 posts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.