05 STi Build

This is a discussion on 05 STi Build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Just purchased a 2005 STi as a secondary daily driver. My end goal for the car is somewhere around the ...

05 STi Build

Just purchased a 2005 STi as a secondary daily driver. My end goal for the car is somewhere around the 450 crank HP. I realize this involves quite a bit of modification, and I was looking for the best way to start going about this. My current plan is to start with simple things such as intake, exhaust, uppipe, down pipe, fuel pump/injectors, and perhaps a larger inter cooler. After those I would move on to a rebuild of the bottom end and heads/studs in preparation for a turbo system upgrade. Does this seem like a good way to go about this, or is there another path I should pursue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well I suppose Id suggest you do some research. an up pipe is an unnecessary mod on an STi. If your going for all out HP I guess you could drop some cash on a pipe for a little more HP but still not needed.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

there is the liter build to go from 2.5 to 2.7.

Like he said the uppipe you can skip. To make that kind of power requires a different turbo. You also need to add braking and suspension mods to support that power level.

The weak point in the motor isn't really the bottom end or any particular part of the engine. It's the engine itself. You can go with building the engine but depending how you use it, it'll fail anyway.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

OK this is exactly the sort of stuff I was looking for. I was planning on just doing the whole intake exhaust system at once, and just threw the uppipe in there with that. Does this seem like a good plan though, doing the engine externals, then engine build, then turbo system? Or should I start with the engine build and move on from there?

While on the subject of engine externals, are there any brands I should be really looking to avoid? Or other brands I should be looking for in particular?