04 Wrx reliable turbo upgrades?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 04 Wrx reliable turbo upgrades? within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just put a new oem shortblock in my 04 wrx after it cracked a ring and blew up at ...

04 Wrx reliable turbo upgrades?

I just put a new oem shortblock in my 04 wrx after it cracked a ring and blew up at 91k. I re shimmed the heads, replaced all seals,new clutch, timing belt, pretty much the works. So the engine is about as close to new as you can get. I now have 1300 miles on the new engine, and have it tuned stage 2 with a cobb ap. i have a turbo back exhaust, up pipe, perrin turbo inlet, and a lightweight crank pulley. The car runs awesome, but im craving more power now. Im thinking since I have a fresh engine to build off of, a turbo upgrade would be a good idea. I want to ditch my stock turbo asap because it has 91k miles on it and just makes me nervous. So my question is, what is a good cost effective turbo upgrade, that wouldnt make the car unreliable? Prefferebly one i could still get a cobb map for. Any info helps! Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Custer175 View Post
    I want to ditch my stock turbo asap because it has 91k miles on it and just makes me nervous.
    The Mitsubishi turbos are among the most reliable in the market. I'd have a look at it and if it seems OK I'd not worry.

So my question is, what is a good cost effective turbo upgrade, that wouldnt make the car unreliable?
    I don't think such a thing exists. Any other Mitsu turbo for which there is a map will add power and be relatively cost effective. The issue is that increasing power and maintaining reliability do not always go hand in hand.

If it were my car I'd either keep the existing turbo or get another Mitsubishi turbo (e.g., a 16G unit) and re-map the car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    If it were my car I'd either keep the existing turbo or get another Mitsubishi turbo (e.g., a 16G unit) and re-map the car.

Or an OEM turbo from a STi.. the IHI VF series turbos seem to be pretty reliable. Although the issue with going that route is that I don't feel they are worth the cost buying new (might as well get a Blouch 16g if you're going to pay that much), and buying used is kind of a crap shoot as far as reliability goes.

Like SD_GR already said, as power goes up reliability generally goes down.. the brightest flame burns quickest, etc.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.