2003 wrx 4eat or 1993-2001 4 eat??

This is a discussion on 2003 wrx 4eat or 1993-2001 4 eat?? within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I don't think i really have the money to buy a 2003 wrx 4eat so i was thinking by a ...

2003 wrx 4eat or 1993-2001 4 eat??

I don't think i really have the money to buy a 2003 wrx 4eat so i was thinking by a clean 4 door 1993-2001 impreza 4eat and mod it. i know it has no turbo and its nowhere as quick as a wrx or sti since its a 4eat but can you mod it to be faster? im sticking with a 4eat so please no lets buy a mtx... im pretty certain most of the suspension mods from most wrx and sti years can be fitted into a 1993-2001 impreza. please correct me if im wrong....
    The main reason im looking at a impreza is its cheaper than a wrx and better gas millage but also has the same potential to handle like a sti, once again correct me if im wrong...
    fyi i drive an auto merc cougar which i like but im thinking a impreza with the right mods would blow it out of the water in the handling department?
    Thanks.

mods feel free to move if its in the wrong section..

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Suspension components are available and the main limitation will be sensible cost - throwing thousands at a car worth about that same amount isn't easy to rationalize.

The wheel wells are relatively narrow compared to late cars.

The engine is not worth bothering.

Buy the car you want out of the box and keep it that way.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Suspension does not swap over.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

So why an automatic again?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    So why an automatic again?
    Because I want an automatic. What I meant was is there a lot of sus parts for the 93-02 impreza? Sway bars, strut bars, coil overs, proper adjustment sets if you lower the car 2-3 inches etc? Could you fit a 17x7 or 7.5 wheel on the car? 225/45/zr17?

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarsman View Post
    Because I want an automatic. What I meant was is there a lot of sus parts for the 93-02 impreza? Sway bars, strut bars, coil overs, proper adjustment sets if you lower the car 2-3 inches etc? Could you fit a 17x7 or 7.5 wheel on the car? 225/45/zr17?
    Sure there are lots of parts. If you lower the car that much you're not gaining anything. Those are fairly large wheels to fit on those cars but with the proper offset you should be able to get them on. Plus the 4eat is kinda meh anyway...
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I Support ClubWRX
    The cost of wheels and suspension may however bridge all or most of the price gap between older and new age cars, making the entire exercise pointless. I'd do the math first and I'd either buy another brand or a turbo Subaru I actually want.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

okay so i found a 95 Subaru impreza that is an auto, but the trans isn't in it.... the guy wants 700 for it. What do i need to do a mtx trans swap? how hard would that be?

I Support ClubWRX
    Gearbox, hydraulics, slave and master cylinders, clutch, ECU, shifter, trim pieces, pedals, and I believe flywheel but don't remember.

In general the only Subaru worth converting in this manner is the SVX. For all other models it makes more sense to buy the car you want in one piece in my view.