rs 2.5 and wrx 2.0 engine projects, need help and advice

This is a discussion on rs 2.5 and wrx 2.0 engine projects, need help and advice within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey Guys i am really sorry if these questions have been covered. There are so many forums. I have both ...

rs 2.5 and wrx 2.0 engine projects, need help and advice

Hey Guys i am really sorry if these questions have been covered. There are so many forums.

I have both a 2003 rs 2.5 and an 2005 wrx. The 2.5 has no mods and the WRX has cobb access port and downpipe, oil catch can, cold air intake, recirculating valve, short throw shifter. The 2003 engine had the timing belt break resulting in bent valves and damaged headers. This happened a few months ago while I was out fishing. Luckily I had my bad ass wrx that I used for work, racing and casual driving. Well during a high speed run I spun a bearing and I think I bent some valves. Either way both engines need to be replace or machined out and new parts.

I found both engines from one guy. They are complete and ready to install. I wanted to see if I can take some of the parts off the the WRX and put them on the 2.5 RS? I am hoping for some help.

1. I bought a cobb down pipe and exhaust for the WRX. So I have the stock exhaust which is in really good shape. Can I put exhaust on the 2.5 RS?

2. Can I pull the turbo off the WRX and put it on the 2.5 RS? I do have the exhaust from the WRX.

3. Do I need to do anything else to the engine if I can get the Turbo from the 2.0 to 2.5 on there? Do I need to worry about heat since the car doesnt have a hood scoop?

3. I believe the problem with the wrx happened because the engine didnt get enough oil at the high speed. I wanted to put an after market high pressure oil pump. Which do you recommend? Not looking to spend over $500

4.I wanted to get a high performance clutch for the wrx. which do you recommend?

5. Is there any other mods you would do to either of the cars while I was putting in new engines?

Thank you guys so much. These car issues have really broken my heart. These were my babies. Cant wait to get them going again.

Thanks,
    WNYsteelheader

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WNYsteelheader View Post
    Hey Guys i am really sorry if these questions have been covered. There are so many forums.

I have both a 2003 rs 2.5 and an 2005 wrx. The 2.5 has no mods and the WRX has cobb access port and downpipe, oil catch can, cold air intake, recirculating valve, short throw shifter. The 2003 engine had the timing belt break resulting in bent valves and damaged headers. This happened a few months ago while I was out fishing. Luckily I had my bad ass wrx that I used for work, racing and casual driving. Well during a high speed run I spun a bearing and I think I bent some valves. Either way both engines need to be replace or machined out and new parts.

I found both engines from one guy. They are complete and ready to install. I wanted to see if I can take some of the parts off the the WRX and put them on the 2.5 RS? I am hoping for some help.

1. I bought a cobb down pipe and exhaust for the WRX. So I have the stock exhaust which is in really good shape. Can I put exhaust on the 2.5 RS?

2. Can I pull the turbo off the WRX and put it on the 2.5 RS? I do have the exhaust from the WRX.

3. Do I need to do anything else to the engine if I can get the Turbo from the 2.0 to 2.5 on there? Do I need to worry about heat since the car doesnt have a hood scoop?

3. I believe the problem with the wrx happened because the engine didnt get enough oil at the high speed. I wanted to put an after market high pressure oil pump. Which do you recommend? Not looking to spend over $500

4.I wanted to get a high performance clutch for the wrx. which do you recommend?

5. Is there any other mods you would do to either of the cars while I was putting in new engines?

Thank you guys so much. These car issues have really broken my heart. These were my babies. Cant wait to get them going again.

Thanks,
    WNYsteelheader
    You can't just slap a turbo on a NA motor. 1.) The compression ratio is much higher for the NA motor 2.) The pistons, rods, and cylinder sidewalls are stronger on the WRX for turbo duty 3.) The ECU isn't suitable for turbocharging... you'll need a WRX ECU or go standalone 4.) You could get a bugeye wrx for the cost of 1-3
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/