My 2011 WRX Stage 2+ Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My 2011 WRX Stage 2+ Thread within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, I'm starting this thread to show the progress of my car, help anyone who has/wants a similar setup, ...

My 2011 WRX Stage 2+ Thread

Hello all, I'm starting this thread to show the progress of my car, help anyone who has/wants a similar setup, and hopefully get some helpful feedback along the way. My previous car was an 02 RSX base which I never modified... so I am still fairly new to Subaru and modifications. I bought my '11 WRX hatch (SSM) last September with no intentions of modifying it... then I caught the mod bug.

I use this car as my DD so I want to keep it fairly reliable. I want to occasionally take it to the drag strip (I've done 5 runs so far), no plans for any other racing.

The is what I've done so far:

Engine/Performance:

AEM CAI
    Invidia High flow catted downpipe
    Invidia Q300 Catback
    Process West TMIC
    GFB Hybrid BPV (set up for 100% recirc)
    Grimmspeed EBCS
    DW 65C Fuel Pump
    Torqued Performance Stage 3 OTS Tune (Cobb AP Engine Management)

Transmission:

Kart Boy short shifter
    Kart Boy shifter bushings

Future plans:

ID 1000c Injectors
    NGK Iridium one step colder plugs (purchased but not installed)
    93 Oct and E85 Protunes

Also considering:

Upgraded clutch
    EWG
    TGV Delete

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Prior to yesterday, I was running every thing listed above except the PW TMIC and Grimmspeed EBCS. I had Torqued Performance's Stage 2 map and it ran perfectly. On my forth ever run at the strip I ran a 12.6 @106. It would hit peak boost at 19 PSI every pull.

So yesterday I installed the EBCS and TMIC and flashed "Stage 3". Installs were pretty smooth, except I think they gave me the LGT bracket for the EBCS... the hose for port 1 sits right on top of the alternator which I don't like... going to call Grimmspeed about that today.

************ If you don't want to read everything else start here PLEASE*************************

But I'm not 100% satisfied with the new tune right now. This is going to sound strange... but after the new installs it feels like I installed stiffer engine mounts. There's a little more sound and vibration turning the car on and off. And driving below 2k rpm and occasionally at idle, I feel a slight tapping in the pedals. The engine sounds normal and pulls at least as hard as before but something doesn't seem quite right. Could the TMIC be causing this feeling or could this be a problem with the tune?

Anything you recommend logging with the AP?

Some things I noticed:
    -Target boost for this map is 20 psi, I hit 19.6 once but every other time it hit 19.1-19.3.
    - At idle the intake temp was 120 degrees F and then dropped down to about 100 F when I got moving (80 outdoor temp) Does this seem a little hot?

Def sounds like something's touching.. go over all your new components again and make sure nothing is making contact with the body or pitch stop or any other components.

Contact your tuner about the map/result questions. Only they'll be able to troubleshoot those correctly. The only thing I can think that you did that might change boost is that you installed a larger intercooler (more intake tract volume) and maybe that's why the pressure drop. Other than that.. I think ya gots something touching or rubbing and that's creating the noise/tapping feeling.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Def sounds like something's touching.. go over all your new components again and make sure nothing is making contact with the body or pitch stop or any other components.

Contact your tuner about the map/result questions. Only they'll be able to troubleshoot those correctly. The only thing I can think that you did that might change boost is that you installed a larger intercooler (more intake tract volume) and maybe that's why the pressure drop. Other than that.. I think ya gots something touching or rubbing and that's creating the noise/tapping feeling.
    Thanks Mango, I'll look into that. That makes sense that something could be touching.

Have some dyno #s?

-Brian
    2012 SWP WRX hatch
    PERRIN TMIC (black) / PERRIN CAI (red) / PERRIN Radiator Shroud (red)
    Cobb Accessport / Invidia Q300 Catback / Invidia DP / SPT Boost Gauge
    Pioneer 7" Nav w/ backup camera / SPT STS / Red Hella's / Kartboy Bushing
    6K lowbeams 6K fogs 6k DRL / Grimmspeed Plate Relocation / Cobb Heat Shield
    Cobb Red Shift Knob / Rally Armor Mud Flaps / 08 STi center console swap

Quote Originally Posted by bratte88 View Post
    Have some dyno #s?

-Brian
    2012 SWP WRX hatch
    No, I've only ever used OTS tunes and have never been on a dyno. A rough guess would be 310 whp... but that's purely a guess.

Just took a look, the intercooler is completely clear of the pitch stop. The only thing I saw was that the intercooler mounting bracket was right up against the SPT heat shield. I doubt that is causing what I am hearing/feeling but I might as well take it off to check. I should probably get a turbo blanket anyway... the left side of the intercooler gets pretty warm.

i almost have same items
    PW-Tmic
    Invidia catless dp
    mangaflow cbe
    Toemi uel
    Grimmspeed EBCS
    Forge bpv
    cobb intake w/airbox
    cobb ap - with protune.
    im at 310whp and 370wtq pro tuned on 91 oct...
    and ever since i got installed thru ( pro tuner ) - yimi my idle has been shietty! it would start at 800 then i would tap the gas then it would almost die on me... tuner said its normal to do that? i think its bs
    anyways
    i feel like i lost power... but i now realize that i think i didnt because pro tune made it soo smooth that you cant feel the huge curve as before

Quote Originally Posted by jwongx27 View Post
    i almost have same items
    PW-Tmic
    Invidia catless dp
    mangaflow cbe
    Toemi uel
    Grimmspeed EBCS
    Forge bpv
    cobb intake w/airbox
    cobb ap - with protune.
    im at 310whp and 370wtq pro tuned on 91 oct...
    and ever since i got installed thru ( pro tuner ) - yimi my idle has been shietty! it would start at 800 then i would tap the gas then it would almost die on me... tuner said its normal to do that? i think its bs
    anyways
    i feel like i lost power... but i now realize that i think i didnt because pro tune made it soo smooth that you cant feel the huge curve as before
    I can't say whether that is normal but I've had a similar experience with my new tune. My idle was a little rough so I used the AP to bump it up to 750 and its been pretty steady since then. But I noticed that I do need to give it a little more gas from a stop... I actually stalled out once today.

Have you logged runs with the new tune and sent them to Eric at TP to look over? He makes tweaks until everything looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by arod15 View Post
    Have you logged runs with the new tune and sent them to Eric at TP to look over? He makes tweaks until everything looks good.
    Not yet, I should though... I've heard he's pretty good with that. This might be a dumb question but when you do a log, it logs all of the parameters you have selected in the log list right?

Yea, he gives you instructions on which ones to select with the email that you get after buying the map. Pretty important to get him to optimize the tune for you. That's the best thing about TP maps, the fact that he'll customize them. Mine for example was running too rich initially.

12.6 is a nice time for just your fourth run. I think Eric told me one of his guys was running a 12.3 on his stage 3 map? I could be off and it might have been 12.5, but if you're at 12.6... seems like a 12.3 is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    12.6 is a nice time for just your fourth run. I think Eric told me one of his guys was running a 12.3 on his stage 3 map? I could be off and it might have been 12.5, but if you're at 12.6... seems like a 12.3 is possible.
    Thanks man, I was pretty suprised myself... considering I bogged my first run and ran a 13.6. I think 12.3 is reasonable once I get the map tweaked a bit, thats what I'm hoping at least. It's so tempting to get injectors, maybe EWG , and a E85 tune and try to break into the 11's... but I should probably start saving more $ and hold off on that. Don't know if the stock clutch could handle that power either.

In a few weeks I'm gonna be racing my brother in a 2012 Mustang GT (stock), and dad in a 2008 MS3 (intake). Not sure they realize how quick these Rex's are with a few bolt-ons.

So I realized that the drivers side TMIC bracket was hitting the brake fluid container. Had to drill the bracket on the left side to shift the intercooler to the left slightly. I also had Eric tweak my stage 3 map and everything looked good, car was running great and hitting 20.0 PSI.

So I took it to the strip this past weekend. After my last run I noticed the car was idling rough (almost sounds like its cammed). Then on my drive home codes started popping up. At first it was just P0171 (running lean), then it was misfires on all 4 cylinders and PFFFE. I checked my vac lines and they were all in place, TMIC, BOV, and CAI didnt look like they were leaking anywhere.

The car seems to run fine above idle... I'm staying out of boost until I resolve the problem. I'm going to clean the MAF today. I was going to install one step colder plugs soon, but at this point I should probably just take it to a shop and have them do it while doing compression/leakdown tests right?

The only other thing I can think of is the injectors... which I wanted to replace anyway for E85. Any other thoughts on what the problem could be?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast