04 WRX swap to JDM STI

This is a discussion on 04 WRX swap to JDM STI within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi my name is Sean and I'm new to the forms. I was looking for some help on a build ...

04 WRX swap to JDM STI

Hi my name is Sean and I'm new to the forms. I was looking for some help on a build I'm trying to do and I was told it is pretty easy. I'm looking to take my WRX '04 and swapping it with a JDM STI set up and I need to know what the build list would be to make a proper swap. I want to go with a course stock 2.5 L motor and a six speed transmission. Plus any strap on upgrades I can get, now I understand I need to change the differentials and down to the brakes, my budget is going to be about $10-$12,000. I mean the truth be told if I can't fit this into this budget I'm going to have to go ahead and sell the car and get a brand-new STI instead so I'm just trying to feel it out not, trying to have car payments I'd rather do this build. So anyone I can help me out of any info on this would be greatly appreciated thanks

-Sean

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You should just sell the '04 and take the money from that plus the $10-12k and buy an STI. It costs far more to do the swap than just buying one, plus you never really end up with an STI. You also won't get any increase in retail value over a your WRX, so that $10-12k is just money down the drain.

Everybody that does this swap just wishes when they got done that they'd sold their car and bought an STI instead.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

See here's the problem I blew the motor in the WRX about a year ago and if I get a new STI I still will be stuck in a 500 dollar car payment for 60 months I think. But if I do this build I will own the car right out. I got much love for that car I've put a lot of mile on her.

So in addition to spending $500/month for the next 60 months on payments, you're going to dump an additional $10-12k into the STI conversion? That doesn't make any sense. You'll have paid $40-42k for the car over the next 60 months to end up with something that'll be worth under $10k. You could spend $4-5k on a new engine and get rid of the car and buy a brand new STI for less than that and have a car that's worth at least twice as much in 5 years, is much better than your STI conversion in every way, will be under warranty, will be new, etc etc etc.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

No I already own the WRX, if I go new it will be 10k plus $500 a month

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd figure $5K for gearbox, $4k for motor but I'd avoid the entire "JDM" thing and buy local parts. Just me. That won't get you brakes or wheels or suspension though. Should you decide to spend all that follow the link in my signature and all the subsequent links from there.

Honestly if the gearbox works I'd fix the motor and spend as little as possible. Your budget exceeds the value of the car, and you don't need the car anyway: you said the motor failed last year, after all.

I like money more than cars. My recommendations are based on the premise that money beats cars any day. Your call.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm kind of confused on what you're looking for, a JDM STI driveline and motor or the entire interior swap as well?
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I'm confused also. If you only blew the motor, just replace the motor. Not sure why you'd wanna go swap everything else. "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.