wrx50's 2011 wrx sedan build
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on wrx50's 2011 wrx sedan build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, My name is Greg and I am a new member here. I have visited this site periodically over ...

wrx50's 2011 wrx sedan build

Hey guys,

My name is Greg and I am a new member here. I have visited this site periodically over the last few years. I currently own a 2011 wrx sedan in DGM. The car as it sits right now is TP stage 3. I started out with subaru in 2007 with an impreza 2.5i sedan. I owned that car for two years and did some simple modding. In august 2009 I traded it in for a 2009 jeep wrangler......I know I know. In july 2011 I grew tired of the wrangler and wanted to get back into a subaru. I ended up going with a 2011 wrx sedan in DGM that I purchased from Cityside subaru in belmont, MA.

Here is the current mod list:

Engine:
    Cobb accessport
    TurboXS catted downpipe
    TurboXS front mount intercooler
    TurboXS cold air intake
    Perrin tubo inlet
    Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
    GReddy Type-S BPV
    Deatschwerks 65C fuel pump
    NGK 1 step colder spark plugs
    Custom Silicone Re-circulation Tube

Transmission
    Cobb shorth throw shifter
    Cobb front poly shifter bushing
    Cobb rear poly shifter bushing

Brakes
    Subaru 4 Pot front calipers
    Subaru 2 Pot rear calipers
    StopTech high performance front and rear pads
    Centric Premium rear rotor from 2010 Legacy Gt
    KNS rear caliper adapter plates

Gauges
    AEM UEGO wide band
    AEM digital boost gauge

Interior
    Subaru Momo shift knob
    AccessPort holding device

Exterior
    35% tint all around
    Rally Armor Mudflaps
    Black Vinyl overlay on the front air dam
    Clear Bra thing
    Grimmspeed license plate relocation kit

I will be updating this list as time goes on

Brand new pic i took of it at the gym!!!

In august when the car had 300 miles on it I flashed it to stage 1 after reading all the horror stories of the factory tune. Wow it made such a difference!! That same month I purchased a set of Rally armor mud flaps and a cobb short throw shifter and poly bushings front and rear, let the modding begin!! Window tint(35% all around) came next. I had the windows tinted at Knights in Franklin, MA for all you locals who are looking for a good tint job.

The car sat like that for about six months and then the mod bug bit me again. This time it was way worse

I ordered a cobb catted downpipe in february 2012 and flashed the car to stage 2....all I have to say is WOW!!! It didnt stop there. My factory BPV started leaking and I went with an original GReddy type s BOV that I ran recirculated for a few months. During this time I installed a Perrin turbo inlet. Up next a TurboXS FMIC and CAI. With that order I also got a DW65C fuel pump, NGK 1 step colder plugs, and a grimmspeed 3 port EBCS. All of the parts arrived and I scheduled my Pro tune. A few pics of the parts going on

During the install of the FMIC i noticed a dent on the bottom of the core, needless to say I freaked out. I got on the phone with tom from Spun Auto sports and left him a message at 930 pm. He called me back at 945!!! awesome vendor. We began working out a solution. It was determined that the bumper would cover it and the dent does not effect the performance of the intercooler. We settled on 100 bucks back in my paypal account. I can not say enough about Tom and his Customer Service. He is awesome.

All the parts went on without further incident and the pro tune came to be. Video for all you guys!!

Dyno sheet!

Okay now for the bad news..... My car hated the tune and it didnt work out. Unfortunately the tuner tried to fix it but ended up turning his back on me. It was pulling almost 3* of timing at WOT under full boost....every time and the car was falling on its face. not to mention I was scared to drive it. the tuner kept telling me it was fine and that it was no big deal. Well I disagree. Any knock event that causes the car to pull that timing and make it fall on its face WOT under full boost is not okay. Many attempts were made to correct the issue but he ended up just making the tune worse. It would not reach target boost at 19.5 psi and every revision he made brought the boost table lower. It was boosting stage one levels by the time he was done "correcting it" and it was still pulling timing. I sent the logs discreetly to four top name tuners who all stated it was not normal. I brought it to his attention and he was rude and told me it was normal and I was obsessing over nothing. I got in touch with Eric at TP and he took on the challenge gracefully. I am currently in the process of finishing up the e-tune with him now. It shouldnt be long until it is complete.

Now for a bunch of random pictures of the car for your viewing pleasure!!!

I had a body shop clean up the lines on the bumper after I hacked it to make the FMIC fit and lay a piece of black vinyl over the flat part of the air dam

and now for a picture of my dog because he is awesome!!!

I hope you guys enjoyed the pics and story of my build and I will be updating this thread periodically as I do more things to the car. Im sure a built short block is on the way as the car is on borrowed time at 20 psi !! Any questions or input would be great. I am well versed in the mechanical aspect of working on these cars. I planned this mild build over a period of about six months after researching many aspects of the wrx platform. I will be starting on suspension mods next now that the power part is out of the way.

also I am going to start taking pictures step by step of the installs of everything I put on the car and post write ups for everyone that would like to see the process for each install. I hope to be a good contributor to this forum and you will see NO FLAMING from me.

Thanks guys!!!

Greg

Last edited by wrx50; 02-01-2013 at 07:00 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome, coming along great. You can't have a cat back exhaust in your town/state? Makes no sense why companies sell 50 state legal parts then..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

How was the fitment/install on the TurboXS front mount?
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Welcome, coming along great. You can't have a cat back exhaust in your town/state? Makes no sense why companies sell 50 state legal parts then..
    In massachusetts we cant have any exhausts. I think it is lame too man. I love the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    How was the fitment/install on the TurboXS front mount?
    The turboxs fmic fitment was pretty good. The core is thick and you have to hack a pretty god amount off of the bumper. The instructions that came with it were not that great. They listed part numbers that were not included and it was like a guessing game haha. Everything was included that you need for the install though. talk to spun autosports and he will beat any price on the internet. or you could pm the vendors on here and maybe they can help you out. If you want to know what I payed for mine pm me.
    Last edited by wrx50; 06-24-2012 at 12:13 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Most of my family is police (not I.. I'm the illegal of the fam) and they all have had me modify the cars/trucks for them.. Nothin like good ole hypocrites

Nice! Welcome to the site.

Double RAINBOW FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Nice! Welcome to the site.

Double RAINBOW FTW!
    haha thanks man. I figured that was a once in a lifetime chance to get a pic like that

It needs this song to go along with it tho

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord
    It needs this song to go along with it tho

YouTube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX0D4oZwCsA
    Lol. That is ahhhhmazing

^ never heard of it before?

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord
    ^ never heard of it before?
    Nope. It's funny as hell

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

final resting point for the wide band. what do you guys think? I wanted it out of the way.

I Support ClubWRX
    Looking good, man. What are your suspension plans?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by lokey
    Looking good, man. What are your suspension plans?
    Thanks man. I'm dragging my feet on the suspension mods. I plan on doing sway bars and end links at a minimum. I am reluctant to change the height or ride quality for now. But I have considered BC coil over lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

I Support ClubWRX
    Consider another brand..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.