Dead platforms you spent way too much time and money on..

This is a discussion on Dead platforms you spent way too much time and money on.. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Not a subaru (obviously since they're not a dead platform.. yet.. ) but definitely something I built. And by built ...

Dead platforms you spent way too much time and money on..

Not a subaru (obviously since they're not a dead platform.. yet.. )

but definitely something I built. And by built I literally mean built. There's no aftermarket for Merkur's so bolt on parts are just about non-existant. I either hand fabbed or modified to fit just about every goody and go fast bit on the car.

Here's a link to the photobucket album, fyi.. the pics aren't in order so if there are any questions just holler. I was also asked to post the album link and since there weren't any threads describing such debauchery I decided to make one.

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

pw; mangoxr

So Ladies and Gents... I cant be the only goof that spend far too much time and far too much money into an old dead car ... share your pics/stories/sorrows lol.. hard work is always appreciated even if it doesn't have any useful end in sight
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    YAY!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I own a Brat, nuff said.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Alright - here's my experience. Years ago I had commuted past an old (turned out to be a '74) Fiat Spyder 124 convertible. An awful orange but a great looking car. It sat in its owners yard surrounded by weeds for at least a year before a for sale sign went up. After about another month I stopped by and checked it out. It seemed in solid mechanical shape, but the body was rusting and the top was a mess. $500 later I had bought it.

Once it was mine I set to working on the car. It was my first real experience wrenching, and I'm still pretty proud of thew work I did and the skills I added. Did all the bodywork and top installation. A complete redo on the brakes and the suspension also were done. I added a stereo, removed the comically small "backseat" and replaced it with speakers, and more. Finally, I added a inexpensive Maaco paintjob - Gloss Black, and she was "done". After that it was just maintenance wprk. Parts were always a challenge, and I came to know junkyards and mail-order very well.

That said, the car was fun. Not a great performer, the engine was underpowered, but it handled well and looked great. Lots of compliments. It was a good "to be seen in" car. I owned it for about three years, and it served me well. Lots of fond memories.

Around that time I decided to look to fulfilling my desire for a Jeep CJ, and eventually came to find a guy who was interested in a swap. I had stars in my eyes and really got the poor end of the swap, but I got my Jeep and he got a car he gave to his girlfriend. Later I discovered that within three months she had trashed the car and it had been sold to a junkyard. Oh, the pain. Meanwhile the Jeep I had picked up had too many expensive problems for me, and I sold it to a guy who wanted it to rebuild anyway. I turned that money around into a 1985 CJ-7 that I still have and I guess it worked out for me just fine.

That Fiat was a good experience, but it came with its own set of challenges. I still hope someone picked it up and rescued it!
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

I had 7 years and over 15K into the merkur not including man hours or regular maintenance Items. Factory they're 175hp/190tq or so..

On the esslinger 2277 cam and 72lb injectors I was making 400wtq and 435rwhp on pump gas. When I came to my senses (and wanted the car to Idle right and drive normally again) I went with a milder cam from RacerWalsh in Jacksonville. Similar to the factory cam but broader duration and slightly more lift. It made a very solid and driveable 390wtq and 363whp. Picture that in a rwd 2800lb car on full gravel spec suspension. it was a beast, but the shell was in poor condition underneath and if the project was to continue everything was going to be swapped into another shell.. body work is expensive and that's of course the only part of working on cars that I dont do myself (I can, I just dont have the patience for it) and long story short it was going to need another $20K to really be worth doing all the work.

Not a sound investment on a car that isn't going to be worth two ****s and a nickel in the long run
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Spent over 5K building an engine for a '74 Camaro. Had 383 stroker motor and Nitrous injection. Had some 200 horses more than the competition, but consistently lost by .1 in the 1/4. Found out car weighed over 3800 due to DOT frame/bumpers. Other cars in the group weighed 3000-3200. Spent another grand at a time, about 3 times, only to gain about .1 seconds each time. I named it the "Lead Sled" for obvious reasons. What a waste of time and $$.

Looking back sometimes I think it not about what I spent in literal terms but the time invested as a whole and how little it amounted to. I mean, I enjoyed the car while I was at it.. but once I was burned out on it I just wanted it gone. I'll likely never own another. There are much better cars to throw time and money at.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!