Scarmack's Build to Destruction - Page 3
Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on Scarmack's Build to Destruction within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by etnpnys Yay!! Nice job, dude. That FMIC is massive... those don't restrict air flow to the regular ...

Quote Originally Posted by etnpnys View Post
    Yay!! Nice job, dude. That FMIC is massive... those don't restrict air flow to the regular radiator at all?

And stage 3?! Holy crap... how does it feel?
    I'm not sure on the air restricting, but I wouldn't think so, well at least hope so.

I haven't got on it yet, I had one stud come off the downpipe so I want to replace it first before I push it.
    2012 Limited Black Pearl WRX
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You've got balls the size of watermelons to be doing all this with not a lot of experience working with cars. Even had to cut holes?! Man I would never be able to do this on my own. Impressive stuff and that FMIC looks awesome.

What does all this do to the warranty on that brand new beautiful car?

I Support ClubWRX
    Looking good! I'm holding off on the inlet on my car for a bit. Install is just too much of a PITA for it on it's own. I figure a set of tgv deletes, injectors, and rails/fpr should warrant the time, however .

You going to pair up that FMIC with anything bigger in the near future?
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Hung_Wei_Lo View Post
    You've got balls the size of watermelons to be doing all this with not a lot of experience working with cars. Even had to cut holes?! Man I would never be able to do this on my own. Impressive stuff and that FMIC looks awesome.

What does all this do to the warranty on that brand new beautiful car?
    Haha, yeah I really wanted to do it myself. I had some help but I did about 85% of it. I even had to grind some **** LOL. Overall, I am very happy with the results, but I would never do it again

We'll find out tomorrow when I go to pick up the extra stud
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Looking good! I'm holding off on the inlet on my car for a bit. Install is just too much of a PITA for it on it's own. I figure a set of tgv deletes, injectors, and rails/fpr should warrant the time, however .

You going to pair up that FMIC with anything bigger in the near future?
    I agree, I didn't realize how bad the install was still about half way through it.
    Yessir, saving up the pennies now. Any recommendations?
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by scarmack View Post
    I agree, I didn't realize how bad the install was still about half way through it.
    Yessir, saving up the pennies now. Any recommendations?
    Also, for what its worth - I learned how to do all of the mechanic stuff on my car as well. Started with the rear subframe bushings =P. First oil change was a big one for me. Words can't express how uncomfortable warm oil is. I do have a local friend who is great with working on Subarus though luckily. He'll do consulting work for beer and a spare set of hands down the road.

Recommendations to fill up the FMIC? TopSpeed seems to recommend the Dom1.5/20gxt as the largest stock location turbo over on iwsti. After seeing their review, I plan on a Dom1.5 down the road a ways. Keeps driveability, but still has some breath up top. Will fight that battle at a later time though.

Injector wise, if you have e85 around you, that should be factored in. Need much larger injectors for e85 (~30% more headroom). Seen great results on it though.

Getting to that point though, you are best off talking to your tuner in my opinion. I don't really have one, so I just figure it out as I go. If your tuner has suggestions based off of prior experience... I'd go with that to save hassle down the road, save upfront tuning costs, and piece together a more 'complete' package.

Do you have any drive line bushings by the way? I didn't see them uptop. If not, I highly recommend a super shift kit from Turninconcepts at a minimum. They completely change the feel of the shifter - not over playing it either.
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

Also, for what its worth - I learned how to do all of the mechanic stuff on my car as well. Started with the rear subframe bushings =P. First oil change was a big one for me. Words can't express how uncomfortable warm oil is. I do have a local friend who is great with working on Subarus though luckily. He'll do consulting work for beer and a spare set of hands down the road.

Recommendations to fill up the FMIC? TopSpeed seems to recommend the Dom1.5/20gxt as the largest stock location turbo over on iwsti. After seeing their review, I plan on a Dom1.5 down the road a ways. Keeps driveability, but still has some breath up top. Will fight that battle at a later time though.

Injector wise, if you have e85 around you, that should be factored in. Need much larger injectors for e85 (~30% more headroom). Seen great results on it though.

Getting to that point though, you are best off talking to your tuner in my opinion. I don't really have one, so I just figure it out as I go. If your tuner has suggestions based off of prior experience... I'd go with that to save hassle down the road, save upfront tuning costs, and piece together a more 'complete' package.

Do you have any drive line bushings by the way? I didn't see them uptop. If not, I highly recommend a super shift kit from Turninconcepts at a minimum. They completely change the feel of the shifter - not over playing it either.
    Thanks for the advice. I do not have a tuner. Thats something I have to look into. I will also look into that shift kit. I have a cobb short shifter coming also.
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the advice. I do not have a tuner. Thats something I have to look into. I will also look into that shift kit. I have a cobb short shifter coming also.
    No problem. I love all the drive line bushings I've done. The rear diff kit is very noticeable as well - didn't notice any added NVH personally. If you don't mind the noise, groupN tranny/engine mounts and Turninconcepts crossmember bushings are great as well.

Doesn't seem like an abundance of close tuners to us, just a heads up. Most people I've seen in our area take the hike all the way to Agile in Maryland. I need to at least find some dyno time myself eventually.
    2011 STi Build Log

No problem. I love all the drive line bushings I've done. The rear diff kit is very noticeable as well - didn't notice any added NVH personally. If you don't mind the noise, groupN tranny/engine mounts and Turninconcepts crossmember bushings are great as well.

Doesn't seem like an abundance of close tuners to us, just a heads up. Most people I've seen in our area take the hike all the way to Agile in Maryland. I need to at least find some dyno time myself eventually.
    Ahhh nice, I didn't notice you were from the burgh. Thats cool. I usually make it down there a lot. Have to get a car meet together or something.
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

Did you do the headunit install yourself? What harnesses did you use and did you have to splice any wires?
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    Did you do the headunit install yourself? What harnesses did you use and did you have to splice any wires?
    I did not, I took that to the shop and had them do it. Not 100% pleased with the results but I'm working on fixing it. I can get you a product number if you want?
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

I Support ClubWRX
    Ahhh nice, I didn't notice you were from the burgh. Thats cool. I usually make it down there a lot. Have to get a car meet together or something.
    Sounds good. I'm actually in the north hills. Richland/Hampton area towards toward the Butler border. If ya know where the buffalo wild wings/target is on route 8, my house is on the other side of the hill from it. Well, more so my parents house. I'm a bum still for a few more months =P.

Let me know. I am always up for a field trip for installs if you need a hand as well (for what it's worth).
    2011 STi Build Log

Sounds good. I'm actually in the north hills. Richland/Hampton area towards toward the Butler border. If ya know where the buffalo wild wings/target is on route 8, my house is on the other side of the hill from it. Well, more so my parents house. I'm a bum still for a few more months =P.

Let me know. I am always up for a field trip for installs if you need a hand as well (for what it's worth).
    I have some more stuff coming later this week. I can always use a hand. Can even have a photosess afterwards if you want. My dad makes some KILLER BBQ. I'm a bum also
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project

I Support ClubWRX
    I have some more stuff coming later this week. I can always use a hand. Can even have a photosess afterwards if you want. My dad makes some KILLER BBQ. I'm a bum also
    Alright, depending on how the week pans out, let me know. Judging off of the results from last month, next week I will have double the amount of liquefied bugs in my bumper. Maybe I'll have a chance to clean the car up a bit though.
    2011 STi Build Log

Alright, depending on how the week pans out, let me know. Judging off of the results from last month, next week I will have double the amount of liquefied bugs in my bumper. Maybe I'll have a chance to clean the car up a bit though.
    Sounds good man. Hit me up sometime

Sean
    My Build to Destruction
    52 Week Project