WRX Protuned by Agile Auto - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

This is a discussion on WRX Protuned by Agile Auto within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by CharlieBronson08 2.0L?? Really. That's funny. it's actually the 08 STi. I was wondering why my torque was ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBronson08
    2.0L?? Really. That's funny. it's actually the 08 STi.
    I was wondering why my torque was so low as compared to what I've seen others run. Hard to compare since I've rarely seen anyone run a 20G with the stock TMIC. But again, my experience is limited.

Rebuild was with Cosworth pistons and rings, ARP head studs and connecting rods. I thought the engine should be near indestructible. Is the stock IC really that much of a weak point? Do I have to upgrade before adding more boost.

Now don't get me wrong, the car feels fast... but definitely seems like I should be able to get more out of it.
    Your torque is low because you're not running more boost. The TMIC will limit you due to cooling ability and pressure drop (the 20PSI the ECU is reading is likely in the 23PSI range at the compressor). Get a better I/C, crank the boost/timing up a bit, and you'll see a significantly better plot.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User CharlieBronson08's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    No Mikie's right. Unless you have headers with improperly matched primaries, 350whp/320wtq look like numbers that an EJ205 would make on a 20G.
    Not that I changed my headers at all but so I understand ... are you saying that improper primary pipe lengths or diameter, would change the tq? There is a sticky on this somewhere i'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    ... did the tuner tune your AVCS?
    Timing and valves right. I assume yes. Don't you have to when the engine is rebuilt? Maybe not. I guess these are questions I should be asking.
    Is it a single or dual AVCS on the 08 STi? Would a dual make it harder to tune? Are there specific things one should request re: AVCS when getting a tune?

Maybe I should take a class for real.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBronson08 View Post
    Not that I changed my headers at all but so I understand ... are you saying that improper primary pipe lengths or diameter, would change the tq? There is a sticky on this somewhere i'm sure.
    Yes. If you have very large diameter header primaries, the exhaust gasses exiting the combustion chamber will slow as they expand to match the volume since the exhaust gas is losing energy: Expanding gasses cool (recall your thermodynamics). Lower exhaust gas velocity allows the turbo to spool quicker and the gasses to clear the exhaust in a more timely manner. However, at high-RPM and loads, smaller primaries can become a restriction in the the flow of exhaust out of the motor. It's a trade off: a larger primary will become more efficient at high-RPM and load, while a smaller primary will conserve EGV at low RPM and load. Therefore, the primaries should be properly matched to your heads and turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBronson08 View Post
    Timing and valves right. I assume yes. Don't you have to when the engine is rebuilt? Maybe not. I guess these are questions I should be asking.
    Is it a single or dual AVCS on the 08 STi? Would a dual make it harder to tune? Are there specific things one should request re: AVCS when getting a tune?

Maybe I should take a class for real.
    The 2008 STi has AVCS on the intake and exhaust (dual). This is different from the 2004-2007 STi which has AVCS only on the intake. A properly tuned AVCS will give the motor a fair bump in mid-range torque (on the order of 10-15 WTQ). It IS more difficult to tune compared to intake-only AVCS and definitely moreso than the EJ205 without AVCS, which is why many tuners don't touch AVCS,
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456