WRX Protuned by Agile Auto - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This is a discussion on WRX Protuned by Agile Auto within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by lokey I haven't heard anything bad about either. Agile wins for me, and here are my reasons ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    I haven't heard anything bad about either. Agile wins for me, and here are my reasons why: the tuner (Hill) is the owner of the shop; he's been tuning Subarus for over a decade; and he doesn't have to be flown in to tune. (side note: I also think the man is a genius.) All together, I feel much more comfortable with Agile, knowing that my tuner's company reputation is on the line when he tunes, and he's always going to be there if/when I have a problem or just a question. Speaking of, I chatted with him just yesterday.
    I've heard some iffy stuff about Agile, but I have no first hand experience with Hill. Hence, I can't judge him personally. His numbers do look pretty large compared to what I'd expect - I think every tuner has to play that game though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Because the tuner locks the map on the AP pro tune and thusly you will rely on the tuner to make ANY small changes. So yes, it DOES matter.
    Oooh I did not know that! Thanks for bringing this up. I have been going back and forth on which route to take and it seems like the AP is the easier (more $$) way, but I really want to get into calibrating myself so that's a big turnoff.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I'm not sure I completely agree with that. The implementation of SD tuning makes the Cobb AP intriguing to me (I'm an OpenECU guy now). Being able to run MAF-based fueling in CL, and SD-based fueling in OL has me strongly considering making the switch. Before Cobb released their SD, I was debating on OpenECU/UTEC combination (to run MAF/SD), but I'll likely just go Cobb when the time comes.

Locking the map on custom reflashes does bother me, however, since I am unable to modify the map if needed.
    Just curious, and sorry if this is off topic OP, but why do you want to run SD in OL? What advantages are there? I'm still learning about tuning, so sorry if it's a n00b question My understanding is its just a difference in the way the air flow into the engine is modeled?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    I haven't heard anything bad about either. Agile wins for me, and here are my reasons why: the tuner (Hill) is the owner of the shop; he's been tuning Subarus for over a decade; and he doesn't have to be flown in to tune. (side note: I also think the man is a genius.) All together, I feel much more comfortable with Agile, knowing that my tuner's company reputation is on the line when he tunes, and he's always going to be there if/when I have a problem or just a question. Speaking of, I chatted with him just yesterday.
    Yeah... he didn't even take my car out for a road checkup after the tune. My boost maps were WAY out of whack. His tune was entirely based around a 3rd gear pull. 1st and 2nd gear pulls are in lower load cells while 4th and 5th are in higher load cells. I was spiking to over 23 PSI. That's not acceptable to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I've heard some iffy stuff about Agile, but I have no first hand experience with Hill. Hence, I can't judge him personally. His numbers do look pretty large compared to what I'd expect - I think every tuner has to play that game though.
    Agile tunes on a Dynapack. 'Nuff said.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Hmm...he did my tunes primarily in 3rd AND 4th on my first STI. Yet I didn't get any road revisions either myself. But I was also "new" to the game at that point and didn't think anything of it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    We will agree to disagree. Strange; I did recieve a dyno and road tune (with on-the-fly adjustments) for both of my maps - 93 and E85.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Hmm...he did my tunes primarily in 3rd AND 4th on my first STI. Yet I didn't get any road revisions either myself. But I was also "new" to the game at that point and didn't think anything of it.
    What I didn't actually say though...was that the experience was great. Threw in some stickers and an Agile tshirt for free

But that's not the reason I liked it. Even though I wasn't up on logging at all post-tune...the graph was excellent. I got about a 20-25% bump in HP and TQ to the wheels over a Cobb OTS Stg 2 map. It was soooo smooth. The driveability increased 10-fold, and that was after the OTS map really improved driveability. On top of that, the AFRs were perfect and there were no peaks/valleys. It was an excellent tune...at least in feeling and driveability. My car never overboosted (had a gauge) and it responded very well. Overall, the tune was great IMO. They usually include an "hour" of dyno time with the tune price, but my tune took near 2 and a half hours for it to be perfect. And Hill answered all my questions and general chat as it was being tuned. It was a cool day.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3

zax
    My experience was no where near as positive. I will be tuning my own car very soon. As far as I'm concerned, I wasted $500.

Facebook me here

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    My experience was no where near as positive. I will be tuning my own car very soon. As far as I'm concerned, I wasted $500.
    That's a bummer. Did you talk with Hill about your problems?

When I was searching for reviews on IAG and Agile the only bad post I remember was someone that had problems with the car during the tune which is not any tuners fault if the car has mechanical problems before the tune.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

Registered User CharlieBronson08's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    Interesting. Questionable practices seems to be the norm for businesses now days, everyone has to eat, right?

I just got an engine rebuild and tune done by Agile, in addition to a Blouch 20G turbo, Cobb MAF intake, invidia TBE, DW 850cc injectors, 65C fuel pump, ACT clutch, etc.... I know, I know, way overboard for a scoob noob and I maxed the plastic. (wife not happy, not happy at all)

Tuned at 20psi - 350whp/320tq. Are those the numbers you would expect?
    The numbers should be a little lower considering Hill didn't want me to blow up the engine, and suggested I need a fmic, so he seemed to be purposely conservative on the tune.

I have 2k miles on the new engine so far, all kinks worked out and the car seems to be running perfectly; although, I wouldn't mind a little more boost/tq. Gas mileage is better than stock and I'm now obsessed with checking my oil now that its so clean.

I've been on the phone/email and in person with the Agile guys quite frequently, even for minor issues; they essentially rebuilt my car. I'm their customer for life.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieBronson08 View Post

Interesting. Questionable practices seems to be the norm for businesses now days, everyone has to eat, right?

I just got an engine rebuild and tune done by Agile, in addition to a Blouch 20G turbo, Cobb MAF intake, invidia TBE, DW 850cc injectors, 65C fuel pump, ACT clutch, etc.... I know, I know, way overboard for a scoob noob and I maxed the plastic. (wife not happy, not happy at all)

The numbers should be a little lower considering Hill didn't want me to blow up the engine, and suggested I need a fmic, so he seemed to be purposely conservative on the tune.

I have 2k miles on the new engine so far, all kinks worked out and the car seems to be running perfectly; although, I wouldn't mind a little more boost/tq. Gas mileage is better than stock and I'm now obsessed with checking my oil now that its so clean.

I've been on the phone/email and in person with the Agile guys quite frequently, even for minor issues; they essentially rebuilt my car. I'm their customer for life.
    Lokey likes this.

Sent from my Android using Forum Runner
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

What car are you on? Those look like numbers that a 2.0L would put down. But low considering you have a 20G. My Stage 2 STI was protuned with more torque at the same boost (at Agile). You would definitely benefit from even a larger TMIC. Did you have the internals of the engine built? If so, you could probably handle 22-23lbs of boost fine if you wanted to be a bit more aggressive.

Registered User CharlieBronson08's Avatar
    2.0L?? Really. That's funny. it's actually the 08 STi.
    I was wondering why my torque was so low as compared to what I've seen others run. Hard to compare since I've rarely seen anyone run a 20G with the stock TMIC. But again, my experience is limited.

Rebuild was with Cosworth pistons and rings, ARP head studs and connecting rods. I thought the engine should be near indestructible. Is the stock IC really that much of a weak point? Do I have to upgrade before adding more boost.

Now don't get me wrong, the car feels fast... but definitely seems like I should be able to get more out of it.

zax

Re: WRX Protuned by Agile Auto

2.0L?? Really. That's funny. it's actually the 08 STi.
    No Mikie's right. Unless you have headers with improperly matched primaries, 350whp/320wtq look like numbers that an EJ205 would make on a 20G. The EJ257 should make more like 350/380 on a 20G... did the tuner tune your AVCS?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Facebook me here

^^^Yeah Zach nailed it. A 20G on an STI should make pretty solid numbers, short of 400wtq.

Pushing more boost and more power would benefit greatly from a better matched IC setup. Something like Processwest would allow you to add more timing and up the boost since you're getting better cooling on the intake charge. But yes, your engine can certainly handle more boost if its built like that. Source a new TMIC/FMIC if you so feel, and get a retune...I bet you'll see much better numbers.

Not to hijack this thread but i saw your near johnstown. I go to school a penn state altoona and was wondering if theres any meets around here.

Jace '11 SWP Sti Sedan

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast