Scrap Yard Build?

This is a discussion on Scrap Yard Build? within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright, i have salivating over a WRX since i had a wheel in my hand and have been on this ...

Scrap Yard Build?

Alright, i have salivating over a WRX since i had a wheel in my hand and have been on this forum researching, looking at builds, find parts, creating a upgrade path, and all sorts of random WRX junk for about 2 years now. A wrx is my dream car and i plan to buy one as soon as this stupid honda accord (05 5spd, not bad but it wasnt my first choice to spend 10,000 on parents SMH) Anyways, i Always look around the in town dealerships, craigslist, ebay etc for some crazy good deal i could talk my parents into. Recently i was looking in some salvage yards to help my friend get a b18 honda motor when i saw a couple imprezas, and wrxs that had been deemed totaled (front, side and rear collisions, all fairly good-bad mostly body work needed) And it got me thinking.... Would it be a good idea to buy a totaled WRX as a project car? given it has a good drive train and frame? I though that picking up a 08 WRX for a grand or 2 would be quite the steal... this would not be a DD just a project.. thoughts??

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Your parents are correct, the Honda Accord is a better car.

If you have the space, money, and spare time, I suppose an Impreza would not be a bad project. However I'd prefer something much older personally since I strongly dislike wiring. Since you are living at home now presumably, will you be moving out soon? If so I'd skip the project since these things take time and space, and you may have neither when that happens.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Yeah, true an older car would be easier, but i have spent so much time researching these cars i feel like i would be wasting my time. im not moving out untill next year this time and by then whatever project i aquire HOPEFULLY will be in running condition. The accord is much more economical and is a good car to learn to drive stick, also im paying for it so when its paid off in the next year or two i can trade it in. I do have the space and tools and im aware the amount or work involved to restore a totaled vehical. Im still looking for a good buy. Also if i bought a stock impreza, does it contain the same engine as a wrx?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ryno View Post
    Also if i bought a stock impreza, does it contain the same engine as a wrx?
    You mean an atmospherically aspirated Impreza, and the answer is no.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Alright, that just narrows it down to a WRX, Which is fine. when the accord is paid off i will trade it in for a wrx, but i feel that if i can have something to work on till then it would be benificial

I Support ClubWRX
    If as you say you can get a sound but totaled WRX for a few large, and you have space, tools, and skills, consider whether you can make money parting out the car rather than fixing it, I don't know.

When the Accord is paid off I would drive it until the doors melt off, hoping to get at least 250K miles out of it with regular maintenance. After that, I'd buy something similar and repeat. Just me.